Making Terms of sale (esp. Postage cost) explicit

I think sellers' worst critics are probably other sellers !

This is not a complaint, but rather an observation, based on my own experience as a buyer last night.

I purchased two art prints (unframed) and although the seller combined postage for the 2 purchases, the combined rate still seemed to me too high, even after adding the additional cost of registration.

I queried the amount and the seller immediately went on the defensive, citing the time it takes to wrap items, the cost of wrapping materials, driving to the PO and waiting in line at the PO and that all things considered she thought the additional few dollars she charges is reasonable. She even mentioned the percentage amount that ebay charges in FVFs and postage commission.

Apart from openly claiming to offset ebay charges by charging more for P & H, I didn't have an issue with all the other reasons she gave for the additional postage costs.

What I did have an issue with is not making the reasons for the extra charge EXPLICIT in the listing so that prospective bidders and buyers know before committing to buy exactly what they are paying for.

My sales lisings all contain a few lines in the 'Postage' section which are a break down of my postage charges. I think by doing this, buyers can have no complaint or issue with what a seller charges because they know ahead of time exactly what they are paying for.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Making Terms of sale (esp. Postage cost) explicit

I agree with you on bulky items

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

I agree that anyone could sign for the parcel (mind you, it would have to be a very talented dog !!!) but it is not the sellers' responsibility who signs for the parcel, that's the buyers' responsibility. Within the bounds of the registration / signature on delivery process, the seller has fulfilled their obligation by purchasing this form of cover. They have no control over who signs for it and cannot be held responsibile if something goes awry with regard to signatures !!

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

or you could ask the seller how much the total cost will be. before cofirming a purchase, and guessing what the postage cost will be.

Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

On items were I list postage seperate rather than "free post" I call it $5, and everything goes in either a 500g or 3kg stachel, I dont use letters. as a result it is cheaper than actual, so I can do what I want, have room for discounting/combining if necc, and buyers feel like they are getting a good deal. No grumbling and I dont need to weigh anything before listing

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 24 of 24
Latest reply