Managed Payments - Business Entity is a Trust

Just wondering if anyone else has a business entity as a Trust , our Ebay business account was required to register for managed payments however at the start of the registration it says PLEASE NOTE: if your business entity is a trust, partnership, cooperative or association please do not register for managed payments at this time. Instead, you are required to click here ***********to provide additional information about your business. Did this on the 09/03/2021 says thanks for the info thats it. 

Contacted Ebay  a couple of weeks ago as we were getting warnings about registering for managed payments eventually they updated our record to continue registration  however they only list Company, Partnership , or public listed company as options to select  . In the FAQ section to the side is states What entity types aren't supported? Trusts . So recontacted they said not accepting Trust registrations for managed payments at the moment . however they still restricted our listing capabilities and have numerous contacts trying to get the restrictions lifted .  Anyone else have the same issue please ? Note the account this discussion is listed on is not our ebay business account . 

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Being registered for GST is absolutely a burden, and I'm not criticising you (or by virtue, anyone else) for employing legal strategies to avoid the burden, but the paperwork is minimal and takes only a few minutes in addition to regular accounting. 

The reason I don't see it as completely different issues, is what it does do quite often is reduce income, since it's rarely a simple matter of just whacking an extra 10% onto prices, so while GST is (on paper) paid by the consumer, much of the time in small business it is subsidised by the seller, regardless, especially if the goods being sold have a maximum resale value, which means a business' revenue won't change post registration, but their income will. 

Message 31 of 51
Latest reply

Most of the stock I purchase to sell on ebay comes from GST registered businesses and probably half of my ebay customers are GST registered. If I ran the Ebay businesses as a GST registered entity I could claim an input tax credit on my stock purchases and around half of my customers could claim an input tax credit on their purchases from me.  All up it would make begger all difference to my cash flows or ebay sales as currently I,m passing the GST component of stock purchases onto clients through higher prices, but not getting the input tax credit... The only difference is the paper work it would create. If you want to accuse me of legally avoiding uneccessary bureaucratic paper work, yes more than happy to own that one.

As for the thread topic of family trusts, you may be suprised at some of the reasons people ( including me ) have them. Often its for reasons no-one would even think of with tax avoidance as far from the truth as you can possibly get. I,m off to the remote farm for a couple of days. No phone coverage, no internet, but here's a clue to ponder while I,m away.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-23/little-is-known-about-the-life-of-ann-marie-smith/12275658 

Message 32 of 51
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Most of the stock I purchase to sell on ebay comes from GST registered businesses and probably half of my ebay customers are GST registered. If I ran the Ebay businesses as a GST registered entity I could claim an input tax credit on my stock purchases and around half of my customers could claim an input tax credit on their purchases from me.  All up it would make begger all difference to my cash flows or ebay sales as currently I,m passing the GST component of stock purchases onto clients through higher prices, but not getting the input tax credit... The only difference is the paper work it would create. If you want to accuse me of legally avoiding uneccessary bureaucratic paper work, yes more than happy to own that one.

The only thing I've "accused" you of is things you have said you do, which at times was provided as advice on how to avoid being required to register to others who came here talking about nearing the threshold for GST. As in, you literally gave it out as financial advice, which tends to give the impression to people a motivation for the person providing that advice is along financial lines, but hey if honouring spouses (?) and avoiding paperwork are the reasons, neat, and all that. 

Message 33 of 51
Latest reply

It seems the biggest problem with discussion on this thread is that very few of the responders actually know how modern family trusts work and what their purpose is.

While its true that corporate trusts have been exploited for tax purposes, paticularly by the property development fraternity, ( and that loophole has recently been closed down in most states ) any major tax advantages family trusts may have offered have been closed off for many decades.

Today, family trusts are only of use to those who require a very long term, stable foundation to manage their affairs, that is unaffected by the day to day events of individual trust participants. Two areas where this is applicable are farming businesses and also those who wish to provide lifetime protection and support for disabled or vulnerable people.

In the case of farms, assets can be held in trust to allow the business assets to be protected from individual death, divorce, personal bankruptcy due to an individuals poor life choices such as gambling etc. While the individual is still fully liable under law for their personal circumstances, they dont take the whole family business down with them. It also allows farmers to adjust income to participants in times of drought or the easing off and retirement of parents etc.

Another advantage is the smooth transition of business assets between generations, without adult children having to wait until the death of parents to take over the financial responsibilities of managing the business assets. ( paying the rates taxes and insurances etc. )

Another area where long term, intergenerational planning and stability is required is in the provision and security for disabled and vulnerable people. In the tragic case of Anne Marie Smith media reports indicate her personal valuables, jewellery and bank assets where stolen, but her house was kept safe. A couple of reports have stated the alleged offenders made attempts to gain control of the house, but where thwarted by Anne Marie's parents ensuring the ownership of the property was through a trust, rather than Anne Marie owning it directly. I am currently trustee for a family owned house that is held in trust for an extended family member and was purchased for similar reasons to Anne Marie's.

Message 34 of 51
Latest reply

That's fine, and all good info - I wasn't here trying to nitpick at the intricacies and / or primary motivations of your business set up and / or the reasons why, it was basically just a "but haven't you implied in the past there were financial (and in particular tax) benefits to this kind of structure" comment, and I had no criticisms of either, anyway. 

So, I guess you're saying there are no tax benefits to this kind of business structure? 

Message 35 of 51
Latest reply

None of that is pertinent to the OP's question - he/she did not ask for a description of ' Trusts ' - simply a question of why eBay so far does not support them.

Message 36 of 51
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

So, I guess you're saying there are no tax benefits to this kind of business structure? 

Tax benefits are minimal and the same results could be achieved more easily with other business structures.

While 50 - 60 years ago there where significant tax benefits to family trusts, these loop holes have been closed for decades and you wouldnt start a family trust now for any perceived tax benefits. While not an accountant I suspect the main motivation for most family trusts is to provide a very long term, stable foundation to build something on, ( such as family farm business ) that is protected from the actions of the individuals and provides protection from outside influences.

In the case of providing long term security for vulnerable people one of the main " protections from outside influences " is to mitigate scammers or short term love influences that may be partly motivated by potential financial gain.  This being a  VERY common problem for vulnerable people.

Message 37 of 51
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

None of that is pertinent to the OP's question - he/she did not ask for a description of ' Trusts ' - simply a question of why eBay so far does not support them.

No, but jellybirdesigns did in post 3 of this thread.

There's a reason very few regulars are left posting on these boards. Please stop with the pedantic, nit picking and stick to contributing something useful.

Message 38 of 51
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

And just for fun........This offering, directed at me from one of your earlier posts on this thread 😆

" Perhaps instead of regaling all with personal details - just a brief explanation of the workings of any partnership would suffice. "

Message 39 of 51
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

And just for fun........This offering, directed at me from one of your earlier posts on this thread 😆

" Perhaps instead of regaling all with personal details - just a brief explanation of the workings of any partnership would suffice. "

LOL - not everything is about you Cham - the OP ie - opening poster - original poster - mustang66girl - may be female - but again - may be male.

Capisce.

Message 40 of 51
Latest reply