Mark as Posted = NOT sending email to Buyer if not Trackable ????

Well, we are encouraged to NOT communicate with Buyers, so I limit my direct messages and ONLY send a quick "thank you" to their email (not via eBay).

But I've had some questions recently about whether I have posted items. Yet I've marked those items as "posted" in Selling Manager! Ummm... What THE?

I went and checked through my archives and previous sales - it seems that Ebay is NOT always sending that email to buyers that is titled "Updates for your purchases from [SellerID]".

It appears that it sends the "Item Posted" email if you enter a tracking number, or if you use Click & Send. But if you use an untracked postage method (eg: letter) it doesn't send it? It definitely USED to send it, so did something change?

You can check your own - in Selling Manager just look at the "envelope" icon against a line item... and click it to get a record of the messages. The Item Posted one is "Order Update".

Do any of you know what is going on? Am I doing it wrong? Is there a way to make eBay send the messages?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Do any of you know what is going on? Am I doing it wrong? Is there a way to make eBay send the messages?

No, you're not doing anything wrong. It's been that way for as long as we've been using SMP. About 10% of ours have never received the auto Item Posted email. We send all buyers a Posted email and haven't had anyone complain that they get too many emails.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

I'm still not sure where to look to know if i'm even sending out 'item posted' emails or not.

But I've come to realise that it makes no difference anyway, as a lot of buyers only look at their internal ebay emails, not ones to their email inbox.

And I've never received automated 'item posted' notifications to my ebay messages, only direct to my email inbox.  Come to think of it, I've received a few Click and Sends lately, and dont recall being notified at all that the parcel had been posted.....might go back and double check on that one.

What annoys me is why the buyers have so much trouble just 'hovering' over the little yellow envelope symbol, which then says "item posted.....".

And now with the 5 star communication DSR thingy, where you dont let them know their items have been posted so that there is no communication, and hence auto 5 stars - you're bound to receive a msg "...received today...will go leave fb now...". Wouldnt that then be considered communication, and therefore you not only dont qualify for the 5 stars, but they penalise you for not emailing them when item was posted to let them know...

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Hmmm....I dont enter any tracking details and all of my records has the 'Order Update' for when I have marked the item as 'Posted'.

I am assuming that they have recieved the emails.

?:|

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

"Well, we are encouraged to NOT communicate with Buyers, so I limit my direct messages and ONLY send a quick "thank you" to their email (not via eBay)"

"And now with the 5 star communication DSR thingy, where you dont let them know their items have been posted so that there is no communication, and hence auto 5 stars"

To qualify for automatic 5 stars for Communication, ALL of these requirements have to be met:

1)Stated handling time is one working day or same day

2)Postage tracking number is uploaded within one working day after payment has been received

3)The item is paid for using PayPal, which makes the payment date visible to eBay

4)No communication took place between the buyer and seller in the 14 days prior to the transaction and up until the point that Feedback was left. This includes messages within My eBay.

http://pages2.ebay.com.au/Hub/May_2012_seller_changes/Making_it_easier_to_sell/Increased_protection#types

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

I always leave F/B as soon as item is posted, and make mention of mailing in F/B...I'm sure buyers check that ?:|

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Hmmm....I dont enter any tracking details and all of my records has the 'Order Update' for when I have marked the item as 'Posted'.

I am assuming that they have recieved the emails.

?:|

Ditto to that - Selling Manager is telling me that an order update was sent at the same time I marked large letter, unregistered items as posted.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Coops if you dont use 'tracking/ C&S' you dont qualify for the automatic 5DSR on communication anyhow, so just send off the emails  yr buyers will love you for it,  ....;-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I always leave F/B as soon as item is posted, and make mention of mailing in F/B...I'm sure buyers check that ?:|

I reckon that Feedback would be THE LAST place that a buyer would look to find out if their item was posted.

There is a "Item Posted" icon in My Ebay, and of course they can hover the mouse over it to check posted date.

But I've never heard of any member checking feedback multiple times a day to see if things have been posted or not. :^O

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Coops if you dont use 'tracking/ C&S' you dont qualify for the automatic 5DSR on communication anyhow, so just send off the emails  yr buyers will love you for it,  ....;-)

Putney, I don't care a rat's about the auto-5-Stars.

What I care about is that my Buyers aren't being NOTIFIED

I don't want to manually send emails to buyers... I subscribe to Selling Manager to automate all that stuff like communications and feedback.

I don't have to remember to have TWO different systems in place - auto-sending for "trackable" and manual sending for all the rest of the orders.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply