Markdown manager

So it looks like Markdown manager can no longer be used. I tried creating a sale using the Promotions Manager but either I am totally stupid or ebay just does not allow the old functionality anymore. How do we display an item as being on sale? I just want the old functionality of the old price being crossed out and a sales price being displayed on the original listing. How do I do this via the Promotions manager?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Markdown manager

Someone else has mentioned there is a problem with activating sales on stores.

Don't know if it is a temporary glitch or otherwise.

I suggest you try again in a few days.

image host
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

I started a promotion in the Promotions Manager section, but sometimes I also use Markdown Manager to deepen the discount on a few specific items I want to get rid of. I cannot see the Markdown Manager section either. On my Seller Hub, when I go to the Promotions tab, on the LHS, there is a link which says "Markdown Manager (old)", but when I click the link it takes me to a page of text which says that Markdown Manager is changing.

I guess I'll come back to it later in the week and hopefully it will be sorted by then.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

I have been having the same problem all day
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

Just got intyo markdown manager as always - seems fine. Didn't go via promotions manager but used my old link.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

i'm having the same issue and have been for the last 48 hours. the problem i have is the date / time for start / finish is not selectable. it has a start date fixed (being today) and an end date fixed (being tomorrow). then, when i try to select items for the promotion, it just sends me into a never-ending loop. 

effectively, the promotions have the same outcome, but i too liked the markdown manager because it had the old price crossed out in search results with the new price visible, whereas, with the promotions, people only see the price before the promotion is applied. 

markdown manager is being discontinued, which i'm guessing this could be that going into effect. 

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

that's the exact issue I am having - the dates are blocked out so effectively no new Sales can be created. And exactly right - promotions manager does not display the original price. I think it's absolutely insane that they are not offering this functionality anymore. Sometimes I wonder about the brain capacity of the developers and decision makers at ebay.Man Sad

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

Just called ebay support and yes, as expected - Markdown manager has been shut down, no longer available and Promotions manager is NOT offering the functionality of the original price being crossed out. I was told that the development team is WORKING on this and hasn't developed it yet. I was also told that our feedback is being collected to pass on to the development team (yeah right, how many times have I heard this before).

To phase out a functionality which was working perfectly well BEFORE the new functionality is rolled out is beyond ridiculous. Time and time again I see ebay shooting itself in the foot. 

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

So correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like eBay have turned off Markdown Manager and replaced it with Promotions Manager, but it looks to me like Promotions Manager can't be used to create sales items (eg a % off) they can only be used to promote items already on sale - which need to be created in Markdown Manager ! So basically we can't create any more sales ?

Why would eBay do that ? Do they just want all sellers to manually alter prices or something ? Seems pretty ridiculous to me, Markdown Manager worked fine - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Markdown manager

you can still create a promotion with an "order discount" which you can select the terms of - but the difference is the discount isn't applied until after the buyer adds the item to their cart, or attempts to checkout - so it doesn't have the same marketing effect that the markdown manager had. 

hopefully this link works for you - https://www.ebay.com.au/sh/mkt/promotionmanager/offertypes - alternatively, you can find it under "Marketing -> Promotions ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply