Multiple fraudulent bid retractions?

ausjosh
Community Member

I'm selling a camera and with 24 hours to go, the top two bidders had both bid up to $620.

I received a message from the top bidder informing me that he would like me to cancel his bid as he longer wanted the camera. I didn't think this was possible as bids on eBay are a binding contract, but he then figured out how to do it himself. Turns out there was an option for him to retract his bid with the reason "Entered wrong amount". Clearly a lie and I have his original message to me as proof.

Two hours after this, the second place bidder also withdrew ALL of their bids as well, for the same reason: "Entered wrong amount". Even though this second bidder had been bidding back and forth with the first and third place bidders for the last few days... so there's no way they "entered the wrong amount" every time. I assumed they did it because they thought the other bidder retracting their bid was suspicious, so I messaged this second bidder to ask. They replied that they withdrew their bid because it looked fishy, and they also found a better offer on the same camera from a different seller.

The bidding is now down to $460 with less than 24 hours to go. And with all these retractions, the listing now looks suspicious to any potential bidders.

eBay states here that "a bid is a binding contract", and there are only a few instances where you can retract a bid (if you accidentally enter the wrong amount, or if the seller significantly changes the description). 
https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/bidding/bidding-works?id=4003

Considering I have messages from both sellers admitting they lied about why they retracted their bids, is there anything I can do about this? Not sure what resolution I would want from this, but I feel quite disappointed by eBay's system. Is there any point contacting eBay support or should I just move on?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No point doing anything, as even if they finished as highest bidder, you can not force them to pay.

The most that would happen is they would get a non payment strike, but any attempt to enforce the contract

would be up to you as a civil matter.  If you did manage to force a sale via ebay, the buyer will simply claim INAD and you will be forced to refund and worse the item you get back might not be in the condition you sold it.

Your best option would be to block the retracted bidders, from any further bidding on your items.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@ausjosh wrote:

Is there any point contacting eBay support or should I just move on?

eBay is unlikely to do any more than give them a slap on the wrist, so just move on with it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

No point doing anything, as even if they finished as highest bidder, you can not force them to pay.

The most that would happen is they would get a non payment strike, but any attempt to enforce the contract

would be up to you as a civil matter.  If you did manage to force a sale via ebay, the buyer will simply claim INAD and you will be forced to refund and worse the item you get back might not be in the condition you sold it.

Your best option would be to block the retracted bidders, from any further bidding on your items.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

ausjosh
Community Member

Thank you both for your insight. I will block them from bidding and move on.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, I can understand that would be annoying for you.

Unless the instructions have changed, a bidder can cancel with the reason 'entered the wrong amount' but they are then expected to re-bid with the correct amount. But of course many don't. And no, they didn't enter the wrong amount but it's a drop down menu so they tick what they have to to cancel the bid.

I can understand your second top bidder dropping out as it would look like they had been pushed up bidding more than they needed to.

You can't do much about it, it may go up a little bit more, it may not, but you're not getting those other bidders back. I'd definitely block the first bidder as a time waster. The second, probably not as they were caught up in a suspicious scenario not of their making.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

wow....up to $640 now....all the best!!

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

All the best of luck to you

Just make sure, that as you have no feedback as a seller, that you know your rights and responsibilities 

I hate to say it but there are buyers who will 'take advantage' of new sellers with items like this, because they think new sellers won't know anything/much

And also you have fully signed up for Managed Payments and been verified already so that you can be paid

If you do have any issues , or if you are unlucky enough to get a problem buyer, please just ask 

Good luck

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Just to add, NEVER start an auction at a price you would not be happy with.

If you only get one bid, that would be the selling price.

Always start the auction at the lowest price you would be happy to sell it for.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

ausjosh
Community Member

Hi all, thanks for your messages! Yes currently the item in question is back up to $640 (AUD) with 10 hours to go.
The strangest thing happened... I hadn't got around to blocking the two bidders yet, and the second bidder messaged me to say that the other seller wouldn't ship overseas to them so they came back and bid on my item again. I messaged them to ensure that they only bid as high as they are committed to paying, so hopefully they listen.

In an even more annoying twist of fate... I am selling two other items on eBay, and one of them just closed. Immediately after winning the auction, the winning bidder sent me a message saying "Hello, can we cancel this transaction?".

Is this normal for eBay? This is such a terrible selling experience.

Note: While my selling experience has been bad, I can't believe how helpful this community is. I was honestly expecting one reply telling me to suck it up. But I've received so much good advice and even received a message from eBay customer service after they saw this post. So thank you all.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Is this normal for eBay? This is such a terrible selling experience.

I wouldn't say normal, but buyers aren't as committed as they used to be ๐Ÿ™„

How sellers can cancel an order | eBay

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply