My First Chargeback

etb321
Community Member

Hello all, 

After ten or so years selling I've got my first chargeback dispute.  I only sell low value items on Ebay so it's not an 'end of life as I know it' situation (about $100) but I have a question.

Sequence of events

Buyer pays

I send and issue a small refund as postage was less then expected

Buyer receives item

Buyer leaves positive feedback

Buyer opens chargeback dispute

The cost of the item and the small refund appear on the customers credit card, what's missing and the strength of the customers claim is the item doesn't appear in his Ebay purchase history.  So that's my question. How can you buy an Ebay item, pay for it with your credit card, have it sent to the correct address and not have it appear in your Ebay list of purchases

Tom(etb321)

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: My First Chargeback

Left feedback for the wrong item/seller

Buyer remorse/change of mind

Hubby/wife/goldfish found out what they bought/spent and objected

Not a very bright scammer buyer

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

etb321 said the buyer received the item but hasn't clarified if it was sent with tracking. I am guessing it would/should have been as the item was around the $100 mark.

I asked the question incorrectly.

Did the person who's account the charges appeared on receive the item.  Or was it another buyer using that persons credit card.   It has being known to happen.

I hadn't thought of that. If that is the case, then I guess the buyer needs to cancel their credit card, not just do a chargeback.

The positive feedback though seems odd. 

Maybe the seller could follow it up and ask if that is the buyer's username?  I can't imagine that it could be as otherwise it would be in the ebay purchase history.

Whatever happened, I do feel sorry for the poor seller, caught up in the middle of this & having sent an item in good faith.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for your  helpful  comments.  All my items sent are with tracking.  In the email back and forth with the buyer he said he's attempted (unsuccessfully) to cancel the chargeback and suggests an outside of ebay transfer to cover the chargeback. I feel I have a reasonable chance of making my case. My weakness is the item was picked up from his local post office rather than delivered to his door.

As I said the amount involved is not a game changer so while it's another of life's little trials I'll survive to sell another day.  I'm about to respond to the dispute. I'll return here in a week with the outcome of the dispute.

Tom(etb321)

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Have you input the tracking number? Thatโ€™s all you need; it should show the delivery status.

Don't faff around - enter the tracking number into the dispute.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

Do not do anything outside of ebay!

As Countess has said, tracking should cover where it was sent.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

Left feedback for the wrong item/seller

Buyer remorse/change of mind

Hubby/wife/goldfish found out what they bought/spent and objected

Not a very bright scammer buyer

I find it hard to believe it was because for the wrong item/seller. 
If you go to your purchases tab, you will see a list that has a pic of the item you bought, whether it was delivered, how much you paid AND an option to leave feedback. Once you leave feedback, that option goes away.

Iโ€™m more inclined to go out on a limb to say this buyer is โ€˜scamming one onโ€™.

The item had tracking. Delivery is proved.

The buyer left +feedback which is proved.

The buyer now commences a chargeback with bank instead of opening an eBay claim? Why? 
The buyer also claims he doesnโ€™t have the item in his purchase history. I call BS!

Even if he was a guest, eBay will ask you to sign in to your account first. If you donโ€™t want to, Only then will it give you the  offer to complete purchase as a guest. Either way, you MUST select an option. Even as a guest, you get an email for your purchase. The sale wonโ€™t complete without your personal details. Iโ€™m still calling BS on this buyer.

Now the buyer wants an โ€˜off eBayโ€™ transaction. Personally, Iโ€™d be reporting the buyer to eBay! 

Im going with buyers remorse because thatโ€™s the only option you CANT start a eBay claim for! ๐Ÿ˜‰

For the recordโ€ฆ Iโ€™m new to the boards, not new to eBay! 

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

@etb321 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your  helpful  comments.  All my items sent are with tracking.  In the email back and forth with the buyer he said he's attempted (unsuccessfully) to cancel the chargeback and suggests an outside of ebay transfer to cover the chargeback. I feel I have a reasonable chance of making my case. My weakness is the item was picked up from his local post office rather than delivered to his door.

As I said the amount involved is not a game changer so while it's another of life's little trials I'll survive to sell another day.  I'm about to respond to the dispute. I'll return here in a week with the outcome of the dispute.

Tom(etb321)

It will be interesting to hear how you go.

I find it very strange that pick up at the post office should weaken your case as any time I pick up a parcel from our post office, I have to show ID, my driver's licence, and they type the number into the system, I think. There's no way I could take the parcel without verification, anyway.

Good luck!

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@etb321 wrote:

Tom(etb321)

It will be interesting to hear how you go.

I find it very strange that pick up at the post office should weaken your case as any time I pick up a parcel from our post office, I have to show ID, my driver's licence, and they type the number into the system, I think. There's no way I could take the parcel without verification, anyway.

Good luck!

I never have to show ID at the post office,  so don't assume that is totally across the board.   But from an Australia Post perspective PO pickup is more secure.  Not sure why OP thinks it's not, as they do actually have to eye ball someone,  whereas letter box or front door drop can be dodgy because of the guy (or Gal) following the postie doing pickups.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Hello, 

The outcome,

I uploaded my response.  I immediately received a response from ebay to say I had seller protection. Nothing would be deducted from my account.  The next day I received a phone call from a lady with a strong overseas accent saying she was from ebay, had read the posts here and asked had the matter been resolved? I said yes. The next day (two days from uploading my response) I received another email from the buyer again apologizing and offering to transfer the chargeback  amount directly (outside of ebay) to my bank.  

Tom(etb321)

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply