Negative Feedback – worth involving eBay?

I have just received a negative Feedback, and wonder whether someone with experience would advise if it is worth chatting to eBay to try and get it removed.

Long story (fairly)  short. A buyer with too many unpaid items strikes (who could not buy from me) asked me to let him bid. I had previously sold to him under another ID (he had a very memorable address). Initially he bought a few items at auction and told me he would pay in a few days. OK. He then bought a number of items at auction and told me he would pay in 10 days. Hmm, OK I said but no more buying until these items are paid for. Ignoring me he kept adding BIN items but he did pay when he had said he would.

At this stage his Feedback started to go haywire. It appeared he was buying multiple items from sellers – up to 22 items, and then saying he could not pay until some time in the future. It also appeared that some people he did not pay at all – there were very irate RED Feedbacks masquerading as green. By this time he had bought another 11 items from me at auction, and told me he would pay at a date 28 days later. Frankly this did not suit me – I was afraid I was going to turn into one of those sellers he did not pay. So I told him OK but it would have to be my last transaction with him, as I could not afford to wait that long for payment. He did not reply to that.

As soon as he paid I barred him. I then sent him a polite message “I posted your parcel with your 11 card lots today, signature required and with extra cover. The tracking number is XXXXX Thank you for honouring this transaction.”

He left it at the PO BOX for 3 weeks, then picked up yesterday and left me Negative Feedback today “Rude correspondent”. It is the only Feedback he has left for anyone. All my messages to him have been very polite, friendly even – is it worthwhile asking eBay to review the Feedback? If not I could just respond – does something like “I allowed you 28 days to pay – how is that rude?” sound OK?

Advice appreciated. Apologies for the scroller.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Negative Feedback – worth involving eBay?

Some eBay accounts do have ‘em…!

It sometimes seems that the more unreasonable a person is, the more easily they become vexed at others and inclined to excoriate them.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Great outcome.

Worth a few minutes with a chat.

Just wondering - if 10 left - how many ways are there to say ' bad communication ' - and not be removed.

Think he's done.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Well he could say anything really - we all know that. I am hoping he won't think of it.

One of the odder buyers I have come across in 19 years selling on eBay. I still don't understand his motive. Initially I thought that he was buying things he couldn't afford, many things from a single seller, and then relying on the nuisance value that cancelling would have, to obtain a delay in payment. (Definitely the case with me - $400 worth, and 11 items to try to re-sell).

But then his Feedback started to come in and I could see that he was buying literally dozens of items from single sellers (postcards, photos, militaria ephemera), hundreds in a month. From Feedback left he was obviously paying for some sales promptly, other sellers had cancelled (Sorry I can't wait that long for payment) and others he had not paid for at all (very angry RED Feedback from German sellers - you do not have to understand German to get the general drift).

For the last month his Feedback is fine. So I don't understand what he was on about, or why he decided to make an example of me with his Feedback. But he will definitely stay on the barred list. 😁

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I once (pre-covid) had a 'buyer' bid on 10 of my items, and win......I sent a combined invoice.....she wanted to keep bidding. I had her phone number from initial transaction, so called her to make sure everything was ok with postage/weight etc....I spoke to her twice, as she bid on a further 9 items. 19 in total - sent her an invoice....ended up a NPB, her 'carer' rang me to notify that she was a compulsive shopper, and would cancel her ebay acount.....you just never know who you're dealing with!

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Many years ago I bought a safe from a Sydney sellers but she had locked the keys in the safe.I went back to ask her for the combination.The next day I discovered that she (seller ) gave me (buyer) had the udicity to give me negative feedback and complained to ebay   because she said in feedback that I was "annoying".

Ebay refused to retract the negative feedback against me even though I had done nothing wrong.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@cavador2001 wrote:

Many years ago I bought a safe from a Sydney sellers but she had locked the keys in the safe.I went back to ask her for the combination.The next day I discovered that she (seller ) gave me (buyer) had the udicity to give me negative feedback and complained to ebay   because she said in feedback that I was "annoying".

Ebay refused to retract the negative feedback against me even though I had done nothing wrong.

A safe has either a key - or - a combination.

Yep - pretty annoying.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply