Negative Feedback – worth involving eBay?

I have just received a negative Feedback, and wonder whether someone with experience would advise if it is worth chatting to eBay to try and get it removed.

Long story (fairly)  short. A buyer with too many unpaid items strikes (who could not buy from me) asked me to let him bid. I had previously sold to him under another ID (he had a very memorable address). Initially he bought a few items at auction and told me he would pay in a few days. OK. He then bought a number of items at auction and told me he would pay in 10 days. Hmm, OK I said but no more buying until these items are paid for. Ignoring me he kept adding BIN items but he did pay when he had said he would.

At this stage his Feedback started to go haywire. It appeared he was buying multiple items from sellers – up to 22 items, and then saying he could not pay until some time in the future. It also appeared that some people he did not pay at all – there were very irate RED Feedbacks masquerading as green. By this time he had bought another 11 items from me at auction, and told me he would pay at a date 28 days later. Frankly this did not suit me – I was afraid I was going to turn into one of those sellers he did not pay. So I told him OK but it would have to be my last transaction with him, as I could not afford to wait that long for payment. He did not reply to that.

As soon as he paid I barred him. I then sent him a polite message “I posted your parcel with your 11 card lots today, signature required and with extra cover. The tracking number is XXXXX Thank you for honouring this transaction.”

He left it at the PO BOX for 3 weeks, then picked up yesterday and left me Negative Feedback today “Rude correspondent”. It is the only Feedback he has left for anyone. All my messages to him have been very polite, friendly even – is it worthwhile asking eBay to review the Feedback? If not I could just respond – does something like “I allowed you 28 days to pay – how is that rude?” sound OK?

Advice appreciated. Apologies for the scroller.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well that was easy - maybe. On Chat within 2 minutes, explained the situation, eBay person said they could see my message was not rude, and that Feedback would be removed with 48-72 hours. Fingers crossed. The best outcome I have ever had from eBay chat. 😀

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It is definitely worth trying to have it removed.  But you have a limited time, so recommend doing it asap...

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

No good deed goes unpunished.

Unfortunately nothing in that feedback breaks any policies... costs nothing to try for removal.

Your proposed reply sounds good to me.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Well that was easy - maybe. On Chat within 2 minutes, explained the situation, eBay person said they could see my message was not rude, and that Feedback would be removed with 48-72 hours. Fingers crossed. The best outcome I have ever had from eBay chat. 😀

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Good grief. I'd be irate if a buyer did that to me.

Definitely worth trying to get that feedback removed on principle. It may be that the ebay rep will see the pattern with that buyer and if they see the messages, may decide in your favour.

But if they don't, definitely, definitely, go with your reply!! 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

PS  It looks as if you have had the neg removed. Well done!

Personally, I think the neutral  you received a few months back was a bit harsh too. Whoever the buyer  was, he obviously bought some sort of expensive brooch. I am guessing over $50 in any case. And he seems to have expected you to send it in an ordinary untracked envelope?

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Good grief - gone already. Ah yes that neutral. The total was approx $50. They obviously have no idea about postage (though an experienced buyer) - it went in an AP parcel for $10 as it was too thick to go as large letter in a small flat box.  They asked for a coin for size comparison, when the size in cms was clearly given on the description. I assume they used the app and didn't read the description.  I sent them a polite message explaining all this and asked if they would like to revise their Feedback. They sent a return message thanking me for my understanding and help. Sigh. I didn't bother responding to the Feedback as it would soon disappear off the front page, and after all, she did say she loved them!

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

if this troublesome buyer bought multiple items then they may now leave negs for each item.

Might be worthwhile to prepare for that. 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Yes I did think of that. They have 10 more opportunities. Items sold 16th August, so another week. Hopefully he won't think of it. If it happens I will try and deal with it again. As I said, it is the only Feedback he has ever left (on this ID) and he has literally 100s and 100s  of purchases. I assume it is because he has found I have blocked him - some sellers have said very nasty (but no doubt true) things  in Feedback and he has never bothered to have them removed, though he certainly could, as they break all the rules about Sellers leaving false positives.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

If he hasn't left it by now, I think you will probably be in luck and he won't think of it. I'd say he feels he has hit back at you and has now moved on.

The fact he has never left feedback before means he isn't in any routine of looking too hard at past purchases or feedback and he may not be up to date with feedback policies either.

He may never even notice his feedback to you has been removed.

I've always felt it is a miracle on ebay if you can get through a few years of selling without encountering some very strange characters.

PS I sympathise with you over the brooch posting experience. I'll never forget a time many years ago we sold a snow suit, a thick snow suit, and the buyer was outraged we didn't try to send it in one of those 500g bags. 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply