Netflix tax

Just got an email from ebay...

From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

Anyone else feel a fee increase coming to cover this....

Message 1 of 276
Latest reply
275 REPLIES 275

Re: Netflix tax

Good suggestion Digi.

I do know that a lot of UK sellers do not take the VAT off for overseas sellers so I assume that the Aussies do the same thing.

Message 121 of 276
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

@jfmgray wrote:

eBay has advised mt the 10% GST will apply to all fees including eBay postage labels.  This means that some of eBay's labels will now be more expensive than Australia Post products as AP already have GST build into their products.

I would check that information as it doesn't sound correct. The eBay postage labels already have GST included as the Invoice for them is issued by Aus Post, not eBay.

When I print eBay postage lables, I do not receive an invoice from Australia Post.  I would happily challegne eBay on this if you can point me to anything that shows a seller has already paid GST on an eBay postage label but I can't find this.

Message 122 of 276
Latest reply

You can generate a tax invoice on postage labels after 5 days (once the option to cancel them is gone).

Go to Selling Manager, and click on 'Manage Postage labels".

In the dropdown menu of any labels that are more than 5 days old, will be the option to print a tax invoice.

This is what they look like, and you can see it already includes GST (the blank boxes are where my name and address appears, and the tracking number).

tax invoice.PNG

Message 123 of 276
Latest reply

Were you watching me  😄   I was just doing the same thing    😄

taxreceipt.JPG

Message 124 of 276
Latest reply

I'm out of time to edit my post, but wanted to add (for full disclosure), I didn't actually know how to access these invoices until I googled info about GST on eBay postage labels and came across an old thread here with a post by curraone that explains how to access the invoice. 

Still got time to edit this one, though.... Smiley LOL

bigbrickshop wrote:
Were you watching me  😄   I was just doing the same thing    :

Noooo. 

ninjaaa

Message 125 of 276
Latest reply

Thanks - I did not khow this.  Thjis was eBay's advice to me earlier today:

"All services you use on eBay like final value fee, final value fee on shipping, postage labels, listing fees and store subscription fees are included for GST. Just a heads up, we will charge you per invoice only. For example, your invoice for May is $660.14. You need to multiply $660.14 x 10%. The answer will be $66.01 and that's the tax that you will be paying. It's highly suggested to place your ABN here, so you will be excluded to the tax."  

So if they do this we will be charged GST twice for postage lables unless we record our ABN with eBay (if you have an ABN).

Message 126 of 276
Latest reply

Can they charge us on postage lables, it bad enough that they take a commission on postage and do nothing at all- there is no service  and now we have to pay GST on the commission .

When we buy postage on eBay we pay GST as the docket show  - I'm sure they cannot charge GST again.  eBay must  verified  how they are going to apply the GST to our invoices and especially postage cost .

Just a thought (tougne in cheeck)

GST stand for Goods and service tax - as there is no goods or service with the postage commission  is the postage commision  subject to GST 🙂

Message 127 of 276
Latest reply

GST on eBay postage labels is an interesting thing. As they were charging us for postage on their monthly invoice which was GST free, I was always under the impression that eBay were purchasing the postage and claiming the input tax credits from Australia Post and not passing them on to us. I never purchased eBay shipping labels because I was under the impression that you weren't able to claim input tax credits from them.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure what the ATO would say about the shipping label tax invoice generation demonstrated above and the GST component's subsequent no-show on the eBay monthly invoice.

Message 128 of 276
Latest reply

If you are registered for GST you should be claiming input tax credits on your postage anyway.

All you are doing with the ebay GST is paying it on the fees.

Message 129 of 276
Latest reply

Use the link in your "My messages" rather than in an email received in a mail program (e.g. Outlook). Leave the name out and on the next screen it is automatically populated or if not you can enter the business name you want on that following screen.

Message 130 of 276
Latest reply