New to Selling on Ebay- HELP

accessories_n_things86
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been on ebay for a few years now (buying) with a different user ID, i thought i would try selling some items on ebay with a new ID and have been up and running for about a week now- i can't put all my stock on as yet as i am limited to a certain amount of listings per month. My question is i haven't sold ANYTHING yet and am starting to think that maybe this isn't the right thing for me and i should just give up whilst im not ahead 🙂 

I would really appreciate it if someone with some selling experience could help me out and take a look at my listings and let me know what im doing wrong as i don't really know what im doing or how selling on ebay works just yet. Could it be that because i don't have any feedback people are scared to buy off me...or do i just suck at this?

Thanks a lot

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: New to Selling on Ebay- HELP

Dont let the replies on here dishearten you

Licorice,I'm trying to stop the seller from being arrested,having her home raided by Federal Police,Counterfeit Investigations and/or being kicked off ebay.Surely you're not condoning the selling of un licenced products ?

As for getting a book-weren't you the lady who started here because some family member gave you a $10,000 ebay course that they didn't want & even you had a giggle at the waste of money or am I mistaken?

The ebay site map is FREE & the advice & opinions given here are FREE.

I'm surprised Licorice as I thought you were a funny friendly helpful lady who wouldn't tell a new seller of counterfeit items to ignore the straightforward advice they've been given.:-(

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

Well foxette I find it interesting you are coming off as offended by my comments and now targeting me.  I never once said i didnt learn anything from the course but we all know 10000 for a course is comical.   I will always recommend a book or any type of resource you can simply read front to back to learn from,    sure read the policies, read the ebay selling tips... whatever, my point was just to learn about selling.    Im sure she appreciates all the help regarding her policy violations........ oh and Foxette  Im really sure her and all the other new sellers appreciate your comments like 

accessories_n_things86 maybe you should quit now JMO 

You're great at picking up policy violations,   are you capable of throwing a new seller a positive comment here and there to encourage them.      

Funny because  I mentioned something about disheartening replies...... judging by the tone of your above post you must of assumed that was directed at you.

Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

I'm surprised Licorice as I thought you were a funny friendly helpful lady who wouldn't tell a new seller of counterfeit items to ignore the straightforward advice they've been given.          

And no you have never thought i was funny or friendly because im sure we've clashed more then agreed.             And I never told her to ignore anything.... only to not be disheartened by the replies...... take it how you may.

Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

foxette - you must have me mixed up with someone else - I'm a grumpy old bear;\  As for Chinese fakes, I actually bought one myself from an Australian seller:-(  It was meant to be part of the Christmas box for my middle grandson, however it became an item "just because Grandma can":^O

I did point out the error of her ways to the seller and as far as I was concerned it was up to her whether she kept selling the items or not.  I don't get paid by ebay for reporting listings - they can find them themselves - they certainly have no trouble finding my listings that "breach" their rules:|

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

Not all Chinese wholesalers sells fake. I can't tell what OP posted earlier about the products as It seems to be removed. So I can't be sure though.

The nappy covers in question actually has Japanese waist tags and what showing the picture is the back of the tag which showing materials etc. They are made for Japanese retailers. There is a very good chance they are excess supply of licensed products for Japan.

I think OP should put more in description. If I was a buyer I like to know if the cover is waterproof or not. And measurement for waist, hip and maybe around legs will be helpful for buyers. The pants comes in Japanese sizes 80, 90, 95. Australians aren't familiar with those sizing. If the tag has weigh of infant such as 9kg, 11kg , 13kg put them in the descriptions too. Age won't help buyers to buy the right size as all infants are in different sizes even though they are same age.

Good luck for your selling, accessories_n_things86 🙂

Photobucket
Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

Does anyone else here think the OP could get more for the items than what they are charging??? or am I just a fool looking a gift horse in the mouth?

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

Does anyone else here think the OP could get more for the items than what they are charging??? or am I just a fool looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Fashion jewellery is a really difficult category, particularly with resin / acrylic and allloy materials and no particular theme to focus on (and use as keywords - eg cats 😉 ), and when there are likely Chinese sellers with the same or similar products who flog it for <$2 free post. 

One of the things I learned fairly quickly when I first started trying to sell jewellery, is that it's rarely a worthwhile investment if someone else is selling it for less than I can post it. You can get lucky, there is some jewellery in particular that I was looking at in the beginning that Chinese sellers had for around $2, and an Australian seller (not me) had for $20, and I was surprised to see they'd sold a few, but they were using better and more specific keywords. 

If you can't match or beat the Chinese on price, it becomes more about range, presentation and service.

Range doesn't necessarily have to mean hundreds or thousands of different items (though the more you have, the more you're likely to get traffic and sell), but can mean focussing on particular themes or styles, so that people will slowly associate your name / store with something they're into and check what you have regularly. Finding a niche in jewellery, if that's the way you want to go, isn't easy, but it is possible, and I know of a few that are still lacking in Oz sellers. I worked for a year to build up that part of my store, so while there are millions of jewellery listings on eBay, if someone searches for a particular style, they'll find less than 200 and most of them are mine. 😉

Try to think of as many applicable keywords that you can - eg that 'New Colourful Elegant Bib Necklace', I would add things like the shape, Neon or Fluro and maybe even Cyber or Cyber Punk - the more you help buyers find you...the more they will. 

Presentation is first and foremost the gallery photo, but also includes the listing content. The gallery photo is very important because it needs to catch the attention and interest of people browsing. I highly recommend not using any photos that have a website address as a watermark, eBay doesn't like it and if buyers can read it, they know they can go elsewhere for what you have. It may just be me, and only a little thing, but I also like to see words capitalised in listing titles. :8}

When it comes to the listing content, large photos within the description are a bonus, and I would make the font of the description larger, so that with photos and description, the information about the item dominates over any terms and conditions you have, rather than the other way around. T&Cs should ideally be kept short and sweet, and I prefer to include only what seems absolutely necessary, while keeping it strictly to points that buyers may actually want to know (in other words, I don't tell buyers what I expect from them - save for a short not about appreciating payment within 7 days - I tell buyers what they can expect from me, eg how soon I post, whether I offer combined postage and discounts, my return policy and so on). 

Which leaves service, and a large part of that comes down to the reputation you build, but you can also convey the level of service you offer in your listings. Not offering returns is ok, but a lot of buyers feel more confident buying from sellers who do accept returns, and as you're competing with a lot of sellers who will, it has the potential to make the difference between a sale or not. Being located in Australia can be a selling point - that can make for faster and more personalised service, so don't be afraid to find what advantages you can offer local buyers and highlight them in your listings.

Hope some of that helps.

Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

Very well said, ghost:-D  I hope the OP has been back to read the replies, and realises which ones she should ignoreB-)

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

I don't get paid by ebay for reporting listings - they can find them themselves - they certainly have no trouble finding my listings that "breach" their rules:|

Most breaches are found because they are reported, most likely by your competitors, or if your breaches are such that they annoy people searching for particular item.  When people looking for fine jewellery have to go through thousands of fake/GF items, or looking for art deco items in the antique section, you get any piece of rubbish made in 1970s. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

Who really knows - some of my listings that were removed were under the "Direct Selling" policy simply because I asked buyers to "contact me" - not sure how many people are aware that those two words would consitute a breach of ebay policy:^O

Also, it depends on who you email or talk to regarding why listings were removed - one day, one person, I get told my listings were picked up in a random search - next day, another person, told me my listings were reported - who knows, and quite frankly, who cares anymore:^O  I just cop the violations, serve my suspensions, revise the items and relist:-D

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply