No fee credit on partial refunds

Today I refunded an buyer for one damaged item in a set. It was a partial refund. eBay refuse to give me a credit as they say they only issue credit fee on full refunds for people on Managed Payments. I was happy using PayPal, but it was eBay who forced the change to MP. The only option therefore is to request the return of the items as eBay prefer to credit fees on a full sale price, than to credit fees on a partial refund. 

Anyone else had this experience? What are the other options?

Also only just found out the selling fees are now 13.4% not 10.9% any longer.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: No fee credit on partial refunds

eBay's official policy, even before managed payments, was no FVF credits on partial refunds. I've issued multiple refunds over the years (most often for excess postage when people purchase more than one item but check out separately), and was never once credited any FVF, before or after switching to MP.

Now, people could phone eBay and ask for a manual credit, and more often than not it was granted, but again before MP came in, they announced they would no longer do this. 

Some people, however, still had success with getting credited after that announcement, and some have actually had success even after being switched to MP, but this is a result of eBay CS not knowing or understanding the policies more than it is anything else (nothing new about that), so very much depends on whether you get a rep who doesn't know what the official policies are. 

PayPal used to refund the respective portion of payment processing fees for partial refunds, but as has been mentioned, this policy was officially changed some years ago, and now they (again, officially) provide no fee credits whether the refund is partial or full. It took quite a while for the policy to roll out, I remember my account still received credits for months after the start date of the new policy while others stopped getting the credits immediately (which was a nice grace period for me, I suppose), but eventually that stopped so now I, too, lose out on the fees if I refund a PayPal payment. 

There are a few members who still receive credits, I couldn't say how or why, but they are very much in the minority. 

Many payment processors have shifted to this model, I think Etsy is the only one I personally use that still issues fee credits for partial refunds, so it is very much becoming "industry standard" (I hate that phrase 🤣).

I'm not sure I see the sense in requiring return for refund to get fee credits - the point of a partial refund is to avoid the higher cost and inconvenience of returns. I guess if it was an expensive item and fairly hefty partial refund, I could see how it might be more advantageous to go the return for refund, but for most sales the lost fee isn't as much as the total loss of the sale (especially if it was a not as described situation, where to enforce the return option, you'll be out postage both ways just to get $x fee credit), hence why partial refunds remain an attractive option. 

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

Didn't get the answers I want? 

I asked three questions and you did not address any of them. Not one. At all. In any way.

If you're not already on some sort of payment from eBay, you should be.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Twice now I have partially refunded buyers for overpayment on postage.  On both occasions I have received an adjustment on fees.  I also have it confirmed in writing by eBay's chat CS reps, that partial refunds are eligible for a FVF adjustment.

I know others will insist that is not the case any longer, but get onto chat and you should find you are able to get your FVF adjustment.  (BTW I'm on Managed Payments).

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

Hi

The partial refund was made within the last 12 months. I received the credit from Paypal immediately. 

I note on another thread someone else informed you they had also received a credit from Paypal - this was only 2 months ago. 

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

Hi 

Thanks for at least responding to my question - very rare on this 'community discussion board'.

I do have my chat transcript - I was told that there are no longer fee credits on partial refunds for those on managed payments.

It seems there are no hard and fast rules if you have received it.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

I did try to send you a pm, but according to eBay, I've reached my limit of pm's.  Which means I'm not allowed to send any at all, as I haven't used that function for at least 5-6 years.  Off to chat to find out why?

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

sadly there is a circle group that sets out to make new people with many ids to like their own messages.  Just ignore them.  I always got partial fees back from paypal right upto the day we finished with them

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

From Paypal, although you seem to know better than they do what their policies are -

If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to issue the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

@tiggywink92 wrote:

sadly there is a circle group that sets out to make new people with many ids to like their own messages.  Just ignore them. 

That's an interesting statement seeing there was only 4 kudos left in this thread and 2 of them were for the OP from you, and the other 2 were from 2 different members to 2 different posts.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

The main problem I find, as a seller, with fee credit on partial refunds is when a buyer orders multiple different items checks out and pays without 'requesting a total' beforehand and so the total p/h costs can amount up to quite a large amount with individual p/h cost taken for each item and so to be fair a partial refund is issued to the buyer to make the p/h charge a reasonable amount. The ebay system is set up that when a partial refund is issued a 'hang tight' message is sent followed up by a 'confirmation' message that the refund has been processed, if ebay can set this up for partial refunds why not a fee credit system because at the moment with partial refunds the buyer benefits, ebay benefits but the seller misses out especially when there are numerous partial refunds issued during each month. 

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply