Non paying ebayers

petaprettyinpink
Community Member

I've had heaps of problems with buyers not paying. I've really had enough because they don't even have the common courtesy to let me know they've changed their mind. Some of them even bid on multiple items and still don't pay. There are other bidders that would have paid and it just wastes my time because then I can't try to sell it again until the unpaid item case is closed. It costs me money to list the item so it's really frustrating. Does anyone have any tips? I don't feel like I should have to put 'serious bidders only' in my listings as I think that goes without saying...

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Non paying ebayers

peppy, have you set your preferences to block all would be bidders who have more than 1 strike for non payment in the last 12 months?

do that via the Account Tab on your my ebay page and then check your Blocked bidders activity log over the next few months to see how many you have blocked.. you may be surprised.

just tweeking your preferences to avoid some non-payers is really helpful.

however, we cannot block them all, and occasionally we have to wear a non-payer, wait up the 8 days and relist after disputing

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

petaprettyinpink
Community Member

thanks for that! i'll try now. lots of dodgyness going on....

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

Also if you aren't already doing this, it's my course of action on non payers -

Ebay send an automatic reminder 2 days after purchase.

I usually send a message at 5 days asking if there is a problem with payment.

If no response, I open an Unpaid Item Case and that can sometimes spur a response or payment.
If not, I close the case as soon as I can, 4 days after it's opened.
Final fees are returned, buyer gets a strike, I add them to my Block bidders and re-list.

Hope things get better, as ebay is a great system for buyers and sellers. 🙂

image host
Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

Are you a Powerseller? If not why are you paying anything to list, you are not listing more than 30 items in a month so they should be free.

Non payers are a fact of life, I have fewer now percentage wise since the ability to block members started than I did when you could only block individual buyers and could still leave neg feedack.

I used to allow buyers more time to pay ut now I let eay send the reminder on day 2, I send an invoice on day 3 and open a dispute if they stil haven't paid by the end of day 4.

I find that if they are ever going to pay up they do it as soon as you open the dispute so I see no point in dragging it out longer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

Unfortunately - as others have said - non paying buyers are a fact of life.

Ours run at around 2-3%. To be honest for us this is not a big issue as most of our stuff these days is either made to order or we have multiple items in stock so we are generally not any worse off if a sale doesn't go ahead. We've even started removing blocks on buyers as we re-edit listings.

I do know though that it can be a real issue if you are selling items you only have one of ... you can't safely relist it or offer a second chance until the first sale is resolved which is going to be at least 8 days, by which time any second chancers are generally  well and truly gone and you may have missed a prime selling opportunity.

I think there is an option where you can require immediate payment via PayPal ... I've not used it for a variety of reasons and it may only work with BIN's, but if NPB's are a real problem for you it may be worth looking at.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

you can't safely relist it or offer a second chance until the first sale is resolved which is going to be at least 8 days, by which time any second chancers are generally  well and truly gone

On the rare occassions when an unpaid item dispute needs to be opened I email any underidder who I may want to SCO to telling them that the uyer may not be completing the transaction and I may be able to send them a SCO once the dispute is closed.

With all the buyer blocks in place you should find you have very few non payers, a few of late payers for sure!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

mens_choice_ladies_lingerie
Community Member

Use Pay now options on buy it now and go take a look at one of my Auction listings for an idea that is completly excepted by ebay.

You have the right to re sell the item if the buyer does not pay now and your not sure if they will.

I give my Auction format customers 24hours to pay.

After all if i can make sure i have money for an item before bidding why can't they i say 🙂 Good luck

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

mens_choice_ladies_lingerie
Community Member

and personally i would not go blocking buyers, we were all new to eBay at some stage and have no feedback

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

Non paying ebayers

rumplebear1951
Community Member

I give my Auction format customers 24hours to pay.

Isn't worth the pixels it took to type...eBay allow buyers 4 days to pay and then another 4 after you have opened a NPB dispute...so 8 days in total...after the dispute is closed then you can relist..

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply