Not getting many views, what am I doing wrong?

Hi I'm new to reselling and focusing on pre-loved Women's clothing. 

I have done alot of research into other sellers and how they sell their items. I have tried to base my prices, photos etc on many other successful seller accounts. Obviously i have a huge amount left to learn!

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on increasing views on my items? any help would be appreciated. My user name rosewood_clothing 

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lyndal makes some great points.

Womans clothing is probably the hardest gig on ebay. SSSOOOO many other people scouring the op shops and garage sales for stuff to sell means it is hard to find the really different, high quality items to sell in the first place, and when you do find them, often they are priced up fairly well as the sellers know they are popular, meaning your margins are squeezed.

This time of year is probably one of the slowest on ebay. The big stores are all having end of year sales, buyers have spent all of their money on Christmas, school holidays are another expense and back to school starting soon.

Photos are the most important thing with womans clothing. Buyers just scroll until a picture captures their interest. Your photos are OK but could you get a manequin or friend to model the clothes to get a bit more shape and interest in the photos ?  ( no face shots though ) White backgrounds are not distracting, but they are also pretty bland. Can you use light coloured textured walls as a backdrop, or different coloured, contrasting fabrics as a base to photograph the clothes on ?

Some measurements in the listing may also help. Sizes vary so much that buyers often want waist measurments, inside leg & arm etc.

It doesnt matter whether you are selling coke memorabilia or womans clothing. The best sellers are always the rarest, most radical, unusual items. Buyers can get generic " stuff " anywhere, ( including the exact same places you are buying your clothes to sell at half the price you need to charge on ebay ) but one off designer, vintage or unusual pieces always have a market. If you are going to sell normal, common generics, quality and condition is vital. High quality, generic " stuff " in great condition can often find a buyer if the price is reasonable..

The best way to succeed on ebay is to sell items that no-one else has. Rare, Vintage, Designer, Outragous, Radical or just Strange. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is not much wrong with your listings and the prices are reasonable but you are trying to sell into one of the most saturated areas of ebay.

To do well you need to have something outstanding to make your listings stand out from others.

This is probably the worst time of the year to be starting up on ebay.....most people are spending in the  B & M stores now.  Families ae more interested in spending on back to school items.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Apart from the excellent points Lyndal has made, views are, in the scheme of things, not that relevant. If you're getting lots of views that don't translate into sales, that could mean there is something wrong with your prices/listings, but that is about all they are really good for.

Watchers is probably a better indicator of interest. I prefer sales. I know how many sales I get; I have no idea how many watchers or views my items get.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Lyndal makes some great points.

Womans clothing is probably the hardest gig on ebay. SSSOOOO many other people scouring the op shops and garage sales for stuff to sell means it is hard to find the really different, high quality items to sell in the first place, and when you do find them, often they are priced up fairly well as the sellers know they are popular, meaning your margins are squeezed.

This time of year is probably one of the slowest on ebay. The big stores are all having end of year sales, buyers have spent all of their money on Christmas, school holidays are another expense and back to school starting soon.

Photos are the most important thing with womans clothing. Buyers just scroll until a picture captures their interest. Your photos are OK but could you get a manequin or friend to model the clothes to get a bit more shape and interest in the photos ?  ( no face shots though ) White backgrounds are not distracting, but they are also pretty bland. Can you use light coloured textured walls as a backdrop, or different coloured, contrasting fabrics as a base to photograph the clothes on ?

Some measurements in the listing may also help. Sizes vary so much that buyers often want waist measurments, inside leg & arm etc.

It doesnt matter whether you are selling coke memorabilia or womans clothing. The best sellers are always the rarest, most radical, unusual items. Buyers can get generic " stuff " anywhere, ( including the exact same places you are buying your clothes to sell at half the price you need to charge on ebay ) but one off designer, vintage or unusual pieces always have a market. If you are going to sell normal, common generics, quality and condition is vital. High quality, generic " stuff " in great condition can often find a buyer if the price is reasonable..

The best way to succeed on ebay is to sell items that no-one else has. Rare, Vintage, Designer, Outragous, Radical or just Strange. 

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Measurements are really essential  to buyers buying online - they can't try them on, so they need to really on what you tell them.

And for the "large" black dress,  if it is a size 12 as shown in the chart, wouldn't you be better off putting size 12, instead of large?

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Thank you I will consider changing that title.
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

I was told years ago by a seller in England that the best sellers in clothes are the extra large sizes because blokes who like to wear women's dresses need larger sizes.

No, I wasn't buying clothes from her. She just happened to mention it in passing.
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I was told years ago by a seller in England that the best sellers in clothes are the extra large sizes because blokes who like to wear women's dresses need larger sizes.

No, I wasn't buying clothes from her. She just happened to mention it in passing.

I always found plus sizes did way better than petite sizes, but while that might be a contributing factor, I tend to think it's more likely that it's not always easy to find them in normal retail. They are always the first to go in shops, and one of the reasons there are significantly more sz10 and below on eBay is because that's what tends to end up on the clearance racks with the biggest markdowns, as well as what's leftover when boutique stores send their gear to other clearance outlets. 

For those looking for more affordable clothing in plus sizes, B&M clearance outlets etc are almost always a letdown, so looking for it on ebay is probably one of the last best options for range, price and convenience. 

I haven't sold clothing in years so my experience may no longer be relevant, but I liked to concentrate on 14+, and also still think that in this category, it's very much a numbers game - when I shopped for clothes on eBay, one of the first things I did when i saw something I was interested in was check to see if they had any other items I liked, and if they had any combined postage rates posted (eg by satchel sizes). 

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I found that sales of plus size clothing have also dropped off in the last 2 years. I used to go to the PO twice a day loaded with parcels to post but last selling session I was only taking one parcel maybe 3 times a week. A lot of my clothes, new and second hand, were from UK stores so were usually the only one of that make and design.

I am no longer selling in Australia (boo hoo looking at the layer of frost over everything this morning) andreally don't think starting to sell again here in the UK worth it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

I always found plus sizes did way better than petite sizes, but while that might be a contributing factor, I tend to think it's more likely that it's not always easy to find them in normal retail. They are always the first to go in shops, and one of the reasons there are significantly more sz10 and below on eBay is because that's what tends to end up on the clearance racks with the biggest markdowns, as well as what's leftover when boutique stores send their gear to other clearance outlets. 

For those looking for more affordable clothing in plus sizes, B&M clearance outlets etc are almost always a letdown, so looking for it on ebay is probably one of the last best options for range, price and convenience. 

I haven't sold clothing in years so my experience may no longer be relevant, but I liked to concentrate on 14+, and also still think that in this category, it's very much a numbers game - when I shopped for clothes on eBay, one of the first things I did when i saw something I was interested in was check to see if they had any other items I liked, and if they had any combined postage rates posted (eg by satchel sizes). 

Just to add to that, I suspect that there is a 3rd part to the popularity of plus sizes on ebay, and that's simply the fact that larger people are often not comfortable shopping for clothes in public and would rather do it in the privacy of their own home.

To be honest, I doubt there are that many men buying womens clothes on ebay, but I think there are a lot of couples who share one ebay account. So it may be addressed to him, but it was bought by her, and vice-versa.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply