Online competition to Ebay?

Just saw this article today - FB are opening a section called "Marketplace".

May help some of us move some stock although it seems to be more suitable for pick up items.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/facebook-launches-ebay-rival-marketplace-in-australia-letting-user...

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It might be quite suitable for selling the trampoline down the back yard, but sounds like it doesnt have the features to be competition for ebay. From the way it reads it would be very similar to Gumtree and could be a major competitor for them.

Ebay offers sellers store setups, with accounting features for tax records, efficient payment collection system and ' Buy it now " feature so the buyer just browses and buys, knowing thier purchase will arrive in the mail a few days ( weeks LOL )  later. Any problems and there is the resolution centre to recieve a refund.

Sellers dont have to be bombarded with the stupid offers that plague sellers from other sites, or talk to some idiot on the phone telling you thier life story for 45 minutes in order to make a $5 sale.

It sounds like the way facebook have set the site up is comparing a horse cart to a Ferrari. Thats fine if you have got all day to toodle along in a horse cart, ( and plenty of people have got the time ),  but not really suitable to run a serious business from.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Ebay is still the best for me.  I don't do FB, rather spend my time selling here, or at least trying to sell here.   Ebay has been a good friend and non friend over the years.  I am sure a few will agree with this.

Gumtree and places as such are full of tyre kickers and unfair offers and no shows.  Would rather spend a dollar here.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I agree - Ebay is still the best, even with all its ups and downs.

Will be interesting to see how it all works though and what fees (if any) are involved.

I doubt it will replace Ebay any time soon, but may be a viable second option for some sellers instead of having multiple Ebay stores which they pay fees on.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I think it's a step in a good direction, though at this stage the whole FB marketplace vibe definitely suits peer-to-peer selling than traditional retail businesses, just from what I've observed anyway. 

I do know that there are some sellers with FB stores that do quite well, so there is obviously potential for businesses to set up successfully there - I can't really speak to the BSS groups, I joined a couple as I have some personal goods I thought to try and sell, but I was frustrated by the strong focus on locality; eg I have a few DVDs, mostly recent TV series that I don't really want to hang on to, which are items that are really easily posted, but all the groups I found either had less than 50 members or concentrated on very specific locales, often just a couple of suburbs, with everyone working on pick-up only. I never listed any of my items there because it was rare for people not to haggle on price, so the two main things (pick up and haggling) are the things I most want to avoid :D. (Unless what you've listed is already a massive bargain, even if you list a good price and say it's not negotiable, the first comment would be "Would you do [some figure that is at least 50% less than the asking price]? Can pick up today...." Smiley LOL ). 

I'm actually more interested in where Pinterest is going with their foray into an integrated marketplace as I think it would suit me and my stuff more (at the moment, you can create a "shop", but it's really just a catalogue of linked items you have in a different set up, like an eBay store. 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Around twelve months ago, we ran an interesting experiment. The wife was cleaning up a few surplus items clogging up the house. The items where a double bunk bed, some guitar effects pedals and a girls netball uniform for our local regional town team. She listed these on our local facebook buy sell & swap site which is pretty vibrant really, expecting them to sell quickly.

I had one of ebays 150 free listing offers at the time, so listed the same items on ebay. Suprisingly the netball uniform sold on ebay within hours to an interstate FIFO miner whose daughter was moving to our town with her mum. ( yes it appeared genuine LOL )

We had a few low ball offers on the other items from facebook buyers but no genuine buyers. The other items sold to local ebay buyers within a week. Result ebay 3, facebook nil and that was for mainly local pick-up items.

I,m not canning facebook as my wife finds quite a few good items on there, but with the system of waiting for other people who tag items first etc. we just dont seem to succesfully buy much there. I do buy a bit from Gumtree though and have more success with this system.

I suspect facebook has missed out on a golden opportunity by introducing a basic notice board instead of a viable selling platform. With the number of facebook users out there it could have been a good thing if implemented properly.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I agree with the sentiment of most posters here.  As a business seller, eBay wins hands down for me and whilst it has introduced some components that I dislike, I have always worked around them (or within them) successfully.  I have had steady growth over the years and (unlike others) the more I list the more sales I attract. Facebook BSS is good for offloading household stuff that is too large to ship.  I have a business page on Facebook that is just a redirection to my eBay store and it works well for advertising specific eBay listings provididing my freinds "like" my posts.  I find Gumtree to be a pain as my experiences are a lot of haggling and very few finalised sales.

If I was to do anything more, it would be my own website but for my items I am not convinced the cost and additional effort would pay off.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I also follow Pinterest.  The only thing I feel annoyed with is their bombardment of emails with links etc.  I have had some success on Ets.. But have to get thru to their site via incognito in chrome as I just can't load the listing manager.  I am not the only one, just a glitch for some.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I think it's a step in a good direction, though at this stage the whole FB marketplace vibe definitely suits peer-to-peer selling than traditional retail businesses, just from what I've observed anyway. 

I do know that there are some sellers with FB stores that do quite well, so there is obviously potential for businesses to set up successfully there - I can't really speak to the BSS groups, I joined a couple as I have some personal goods I thought to try and sell, but I was frustrated by the strong focus on locality; eg I have a few DVDs, mostly recent TV series that I don't really want to hang on to, which are items that are really easily posted, but all the groups I found either had less than 50 members or concentrated on very specific locales, often just a couple of suburbs, with everyone working on pick-up only. I never listed any of my items there because it was rare for people not to haggle on price, so the two main things (pick up and haggling) are the things I most want to avoid :D. (Unless what you've listed is already a massive bargain, even if you list a good price and say it's not negotiable, the first comment would be "Would you do [some figure that is at least 50% less than the asking price]? Can pick up today...." Smiley LOL ). 

I'm actually more interested in where Pinterest is going with their foray into an integrated marketplace as I think it would suit me and my stuff more (at the moment, you can create a "shop", but it's really just a catalogue of linked items you have in a different set up, like an eBay store. 

I suppose it gets down to what you classify as a business. If it is simply an entity that buys stuff to onsell and make a profit, many of these platforms could sustain a business.

If the intention is to buy stuff to sell at a profit which MAKES REASONABLE $$$$ PER HOUR, then it is very difficult to run viable businesses on these other platforms. The huge advantage ebay has over notice board style sites is the inbuilt efficiency. In the majority of sales,  buyers purchase items and pay for them without any communication at all. This is highly efficient and results in productive use of a sellers time.

In contrast the notice board style sites rely on numerous tyre kickers and potential buyers contacting the seller for each item sold, haggling over price, arranging a suitable payment method and then often resulting in the seller waiting around for the buyer who may or may not show up to view or pick up the item. This is a highly inefficient use of a sellers time, usually resulting in very low $$$$ profit per hour and a totally unviable business model. ( even though they may " sell stuff " )

It could only be classed as viable if the seller only values thier time at a few dollars per hour. 

If they are hobby sellers, selling items that intrest them to fellow enthusiasts, that could be a very legitimate, but different thing.  In this scenario the seller usually enjoys a chat with buyers about thier shared interest, networks with other enthusiasts and gains social interaction along with a few dollars profit. Nothing wrong with that, but not really a business as such.

The only way I can see to make a viable business on the notice board style sites is to sell very high priced items such as cars or boats where you make several thousand dollars on each sale and can spend a couple of weeks working through the time wasters to eventually reach a genuine sale.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I use FB & Gumtree for pick up or hard to post items and have some success more so through Gumtree than FB though.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply