Open Case for obvious Customer Error

Always like to visit forum to observe what is happening in the eBay world with all the issues that eBay has created. Just had to share this one.
Customer opens case as follows: Item doesn't match listing?

Info from the buyer: This item came up listed under my eBay search for adhesive bandage, see link http: www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=7.5+75+elasti... Your description is correct for the bandage BUT it comes up under adhesive and I have been caught out as it has not been listed correctly. Now I have 75mm bandages where I need 75mm adhesive bandages. Listed incorrectly. I failed to pick up on this error before purchasing. Do you have 75mm adhesive bandages?
Reply to Buyer: Hi Member, Unfortunately eBay controls the search criteria for their own platform and has nothing to do with us. If you typed in adhesive bandage all bandages would come up from everyone. We checked your link and many different types of bandages are shown. Our listing is exactly as described and we have separate listings for Cohesive Bandages. We do not control search criteria within eBay, actually it would be great if we could. We do not have a listing for adhesive Bandage. Anyway you are welcome to send them back and we are happy to provide refund if you have ordered the wrong item. You are responsible for any freight back to us. The item you may be looking for could be our item number 281642838712 which is a Cohesive self adhering bandage. Regards, Customer Service

Now eBay are sending us messages that if we do not act by yesterday this will affect our seller rating? We have already acted, advised the customer by message within the case opened and now they are telling us the customer is still waiting for action?
We are bewildered by the stupid returns system!!!
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Open Case for obvious Customer Error

Hee Hee  join the club.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If return request was initiated through Ebays return system and buyer selected problem with item you will be required to refund, and either allow buyer to keep item or to pay yourself to have it returned, You will also get a defect regardless of allowing a return. 

Whether it is buyers fault or not you would have to argue that with Ebay (good luck), as the default decison is that it is your fault.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

comcol
Community Member

5 things you need to know about Ebay rules:

1. The seller is always in the wrong.

2. The buyer is always in the right.

3. You always have to pay for return.

3. Refunds are always provided to buyer even if they dont return item

4. Any incorrect listings are your fault and never Ebays.

5. Bend over and take what Ebay gives you 

Sellers need to cross their fingers all buyers dont come to the realisation that they can rip sellers off at will with this new return policy scam.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Gotta Laugh with you Guys on this as it is funny however serious the system is for sellers with these open slather flaws. We will draw this one out and see what happens. If the default response is with the Buyer, we will endeavour to explain to eBay that their search engine criteria has caused this, the customer admits we supplied the exact product as listed and although we usually just go with the flow, not this time as a it is matter of principal and the systems sucks. We will be fighting this one out of principal if eBay awards this refund. Generally when we fight we seem to win if we put in the effort.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@vegacomputers wrote:

5 things you need to know about Ebay rules:

1. The seller is always in the wrong.

2. The buyer is always in the right.

3. You always have to pay for return.

3. Refunds are always provided to buyer even if they dont return item

4. Any incorrect listings are your fault and never Ebays.

5. Bend over and take what Ebay gives you 

Sellers need to cross their fingers all buyers dont come to the realisation that they can rip sellers off at will with this new return policy scam.

lol vega.     I'm guessing you overlooked OP's fb #

I'm guessing they'll win

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

after reading all your posts ,why are you still on ebay. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

One very important thing that needs to be taken into consideration when you get an open case for item not as described (or INR), is that if the case is escalated (i.e. eBay steps in and "helps"), and the case is resolved in the buyer's favour (fairly or not), it then becomes a 'case closed without seller resolution', which is more dangerous than a defect, because you're only allowed 2 (or 0.3% of total transactions, whichever is higher), before eBay can take action against your selling account (restrictions or even indefinite suspension). 

Basically, the way they have designed this whole system, is that it is quite the risk to contest a claim or let eBay resolve it, rather than accept liability on the buyer's say-so, unless you're 100% sure the claim will be decided in your favour (which is all kinds of wrong in my book, every seller deserves the opportunity to defend themselves without risking their account status). 

The buyer's message clearly shows it was their error, and - thankfully - even admits that your description matches the product, so I would call eBay as soon as possible to speak to someone, rather than let the system take care of the case (because it will invariably resolve in the buyers favour without intervention, going by other seller's experiences).

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply