?PENNY5

I have just listed a product and PENNY5 has appeared as a discount code, can someone tell me why?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

?PENNY5

PENNY5 is a discount coupon promotion by eBay, the buyer gets the discount paid by eBay but you get the full price for the item.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

?PENNY5

PENNY5 is a discount coupon promotion by eBay, the buyer gets the discount paid by eBay but you get the full price for the item.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

?PENNY5

Hi,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I have not sold via eBay for a while and I was having some difficulties and then this discount appeared!

๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers, Ann.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

?PENNY5

So what's in it for eBay to lose 5% of the sale?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

?PENNY5

@aerarium wrote:

They are still making money out of the fees they get, albeit half of what they would have received, and probably make extra sales anyway while the promotion's active

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

?PENNY5

eBay is trying to attract a wider customer base.

The whole eBay Plus thing is a push to get more and more buyers into their net. Once committed to that membership, eBayers are more inclined to try to get the best possible value out of their membership fee by spending on eBay.

In the same way, eBay discount vouchers are sure to be shared by word of mouth, social media, etc. If eBay were to get together with a major advertising agency such as Clemenger or Leo Burnett or R/GA, etc., and plan an advertising campaign, can you imagine the cost? Really good advertising costs a huge amount, and frankly, eBay's advertising thus far is uninspiring and unimaginative.

Instead of paying for a first-class ad campaign, eBay's clearly funnelling funds into discount vouchers to the average eBayer, and funding postage and returns for eBay Plus members. They've already committed to a significant administrative cost in collecting the GST on behalf of ATO for low-value imported goods; they're surrounded by competitors (and those against whom they are but minnows trying to compete) and the answer - according to eBay's current CEO - is to massage the buyers, woo the buyers, make the buyers feel confidence in eBay.

It means spending money, but the upshot of it is that increased takeup of eBay Plus will pay for itself in increased sales (or so eBay are clearly thinking), and all of those eBay code vouchers will result in more sales as well.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

?PENNY5

@aerarium wrote:

The possibility of remaining relevent and retaining customers.

If buyers consistently receive discounts on eBay, it will help ensure it at least remains as one of the sites people look at when they shop, even if it's not the first, that alone increases their revenue from ads, and it increases the liklihood people will spend with or without a voucher.

eBay don't care about the sales they get a little less FVF on (same as any other business that runs a sale or discount promo), they care about keeping people shopping here in the long term, and / or cash flow, sales figures overall etc. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply