PRODUCT IDENTIFIERS REQUIRED....here we go

When you start a listing, you will be able to search for a product in the eBay catalogue by using a product identifier like UPC, EAN, ISBN or keywords. Once you have selected the product from the catalogue, you will continue with the rest of the listing experience.

Starting in May 2018, if you are selling an item in the select product lines but you do not associate it to a product from the eBay catalogue, you will be unable to complete the listing.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Thanks for that. Another hair pulling exercise then. for a few of us...
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

@twyngwynwrote:
When you start a listing, you will be able to search for a product in the eBay catalogue by using a product identifier like UPC, EAN, ISBN or keywords. Once you have selected the product from the catalogue, you will continue with the rest of the listing experience.

Starting in May 2018, if you are selling an item in the select product lines but you do not associate it to a product from the eBay catalogue, you will be unable to complete the listing.

Good luck with the ISBN's - I've found the category assignments to be largely rubbish.

Print assigned as audio, anything remotely instructional becomes textbook etc

It's an absolute dogs breakfast and contrary to eBay's claims, there is no way to flag items as incorrect.

Maybe that will come later but I'm not holdin my breath.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@twyngwynwrote:

Not once have I been able to associate a bulk listing in the eBay catalogue with the UPC,EAN or ISBN so it

looks like it will be based on the keywords still,(provided they don't change them off course),Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@dazzledayzwrote:

@twyngwynwrote:

Good luck with the ISBN's - I've found the category assignments to be largely rubbish.

Print assigned as audio, anything remotely instructional becomes textbook etc

It's an absolute dogs breakfast and contrary to eBay's claims, there is no way to flag items as incorrect.

Maybe that will come later but I'm not holdin my breath.

There is one particular high volume seller (I have no idea why, their feedback is marginal and they charge twice what almost every other Australian seller does) who seems to categorise every book they have as a textbook. it would seem they are/were the first to utilise the catalogue, so that's what we're stuck with.

eBay promised a reporting tool for incorrect sub-categories, but that hasn't appeared.

I might just put 'Does not apply" for ISBN and 1960 for publication date. Even eBay can't expect an ISBN for books published pre ISBN.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@twyngwynwrote:

You've only quoted part of the page and left off the most important bit, which says which select product lines it refers to - currently a very small list of products.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@tangledstitcheswrote:

@twyngwynwrote:

You've only quoted part of the page and left off the most important bit, which says which select product lines it refers to - currently a very small list of products.

Currently yes, but the thrust of the explanation is quite clear.

Eventually all categories will join the "ramp" and some product identifier will be required.

eBay look like they are going down the Amazon route where nothing can be listed that does not have a catalogue description.

I don't know how this bodes for the 1 off, vintage, antique or handmade items (or pre ISBN books for that matter).

All I am sure of is that this is going to be a lengthy and involved operational road with quite a few potholes along the way.

There has been no mention either of whether or not we'll be notified of non-compliant listings as we were with active content.

One advantage of this that I can see however is to put the brakes on category spamming which is rife in some areas.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Sooo, what product identifier should I put on my slice of toast with the face of Jimi Hendrix?

yahoo-funny-smiling-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Spoiler

Image result for toast with face meme
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@imastawkawrote:

Sooo, what product identifier should I put on my slice of toast with the face of Jimi Hendrix?

yahoo-funny-smiling-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Spoiler

Image result for toast with face meme

Probably just call it an iPhone X and have done with it?

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

"Eventually all categories will join the "ramp" and some product identifier will be required."

Not under the same scheme that they're applying to the mobile phones, according to what I read.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply