Petitions? No thanks

Ebay has a massive massive reach - that must be paid for.

They want 9% of the postage? - not a great idea I think, but hey, they give me a mega sales platform and I do well - so I will put up and shut up.

They put sponsored ads that undercut my products? -  - not a great idea I think, but ditto, the sales are still good, so I tolerate the it (what else can I do anyway?)

They don't employ Australians nor Australian taxes? - good job! Their fees would be 20% in order to cover those costs. No thanks!

If you like eBay sell on it - if you don't like it, don't sell on it. It's that simple. If their rules and fees become too harsh, they will only harm themselves anyway, and the internet is a big place - nobody is forced to use them.

Some people treat it like some kind of public institution or charity - me thinks.   

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Petitions? No thanks

So true, It's their business they will apply fees and run their business how they see fit, just as we all do. I might not like the new fees coming and if it makes such a negative impact on MY business I can go elsewhere.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

While I don't much like the idea that they will be charging fees on a service they don't provide the change has little/no effect on us.

All our item have been "FREE" post for best part of 12-months now so we have already agreed to pay the FVF on postage by doing this. We have built the cost of postage + the FVF into the item price, so at the end of the day the buyer pays.

Free post we have found to be much easier for us to manage. It just suits us and the items we sell.

I do understand tho there are valid reasons why it cannot work as well for everyone.

Now we just have to find a way to recover the sales back to normal after the drastic March slump (ended up down around 70%). There are small signs of a recovery in this first week of April.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

Hi Clarry, May I ask,

Why does it bother you that eBay will be charging a fee based on the amount a seller charges to meet the delivery terms contained in their sales contract, but not concerned with them charging a fee based on what the other terms of the contract are?

It is true, eBay don't provide the method of delivery, but they don't supply the product either (which as I have recentl;y learned can be a service such as accommodation), yet you seem more accepting of that.

When they currently charge FVF's, they charge fees on the cost of the product and your profit margin, neither of which has anything to do with them.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

They have tried in the past to gently coerce everyone to go to FREE postage. Where they can cash-grab fees on postage as well. It's all about greed feebly disguised as a better selling/buying experience. What rot!

We had already gone over to free post so I guess by default we have accepted the situation, but still don't like it. We were unable to notice any benefit by making this change as eluded to by ebay. Only the badges on our listings. If anything our sales have declined.

But there are lots of sellers out there who cannot offer free flat rate postage for various good reasons. And this extra fee grab will hurt them, especially those for whom postage costs are much higher and variable than ours.

I have a gut feel that ebay are slowly squeezing out the small time sellers such as ourselves, and many more, in favour of the larger corporate style organisations. This seems to be their preferred business model. I'm not too sure it will work over time tho.

Hence, why we are getting ready to launch and promote our own independent web site. Although we will probably maintain a lower profile presence on ebay until our web site is working the way we want it to or until we are unable to maintain a viable business presence on ebay due to this squeeze.

Nonetheless, we have been able to make a meagre living out of trading on ebay. But over the past few months it has been on the decline despite making various suggested changes/improvements to our listings. We can see we are losing trade to the larger international (predominantly Chinese) sellers. The search default is ALL where we believe it ought to be items located in Australia. Neither do we yet as we seem unable to reach the $75K sales threshold. Money is draining out of Australia due to this. And to cap that off neither ebay nor PayPal pay Australian GST by the way they have their international businesses set up. Australia is bleeding cash and it will only get worse as the onshore sellers deplete. As in-country sellers/businesses we deserve the right to be supported as a priority above these international sellers. Why are we not? Because they pay higher fees of course.

These are the reasons we don't like this latest cash-grab fee on postage costs. We have signed the petition and hope it works as a deterrent.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

Well said m******l - you have put into words what I have always thought - never put it in here for fear of being 'shot down' which seems to be the trend when others don't like the truth

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

@diamond-halo wrote:

Hi Clarry, May I ask,

Why does it bother you that eBay will be charging a fee based on the amount a seller charges to meet the delivery terms contained in their sales contract, but not concerned with them charging a fee based on what the other terms of the contract are?

It is true, eBay don't provide the method of delivery, but they don't supply the product either (which as I have recentl;y learned can be a service such as accommodation), yet you seem more accepting of that.

When they currently charge FVF's, they charge fees on the cost of the product and your profit margin, neither of which has anything to do with them.

HALO - most of your comments are fairly narrowly focussed on the immediate technicalities of the decision. If taken at this level, they may be justified........... I think many people are looking at the wider picture and the general affect that the recent decisions will have on small traders and ebay as a total business model. I have several concerns about this current FVF on postage.         

The first is that the real price increase in commisions for the avarage sale means a jump of more like 30% in total FVF compared to previous charge. ( this is due to the postage component on small sales which make up the largest number of total transactions being a large % of total item price. ) By introducing it as 10% on postage it just sounds like a 10% rise. It is not transparent.

My second concern is that this will drive many small home based sellers and non commercial sellers from the site. This will affect all sellers big and small, as many people use the money from their small sales to purchase items from larger sellers and more expensive items from ebay that they may not otherwise be able to afford. They also window shop other items when logged in to see how thier own auction items are going. Small private sellers are the foundation that larger traders businesses are built on. The loss of these small sellers is a major structural change to the whole ebay business model and will reduce the money circulation "pie" for everyone.

My third concern is closely related in that I do genuinly care about other, often small ebayers who rely on making a few dollars from ebay to help their already stretched budgets pay for the kids shoes, fridge breaking down, gifts for the grandkids etc. I realise that ebay is not part of the social services, but is currently indirectly assisting these people. It may not be ebays job, but Hey if it is working and not effecting anything, does it hurt to leave it the way it is ??? ( Large corporation, social responsability verses corporate greed stuff. )

My fourth concern is the general way that ebay is heading. I feel ebay is activly discouraging small to medium sellers from using the operating platform. It seems to be setting the site up as a large International shopping mall with large businesses selling new items. My concern is that small to medium, sized traders ( virtually all of the people using the forums YES, YOU & ME ) often selling used items will not be welcome here at all at some point in the future. These are all "big picture" concerns not related so much to ebays individual decisions and policies, but clearly illustrated by the recent announcement of FVF on postage.

I personally wouldnt be able to use Gumtree or QS. to operate my business from, as I rely on high product churn rates. If I had to answer the phone all of the time, put up with the silly offers, collect the money myself ( even with direct credit ) it would take too much time and I simply couldnt process enough orders to be viable. And all of this is for reasonably high value items. Lower price points just wouldnt work. So my concerns are partly self interested ( I have a good business here and I want to keep it going ), Partly socially based ( small sellers making a few bucks to help with stretched budgets ) and partly broad based concern that ebay is making a large mistake that will affect the total ebay business structure, weakening the system ( and then back to my first concern INCLUDING MY BUSINESS )

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

@diamond-halo wrote:

Yes it does. 

I tried to explain to you before why people differentiate between items and postage, but I'll put it in the simplest form possible.

People advertise an item to sell on eBay, eBay helps them sell the item, hopefully for a profit, ergo commission is fair and due on that price. If a seller includes postage in their price, or offers "free post", eBay will (allegedly) push that product a little bit more with their rankings and marketing strategies, so again the person choosing to pay more to eBay is likely to consider it a fair exchange. If we can get out of the "contract total" zone for just half a second, eBay doesn't help anyone 'sell' the postage price...unless it's 0. It's there - as I said before - as a variable rate dictated by a third party other than the seller, and it's generally considered the fairest thing for no one to profit on it. This notion is entrenched in the minds of many buyers and sellers, and you consistently questioning why is not going to change that. 

Can you give a good reason for eBay to profit $5 from one item if it's posted domestically, and $10 for the same item if it's posted internationally? eBay hasn't helped the seller profit more from the item in that circumstance, have they? And I don't mean a good reason on a legal standpoint - 'because they can' is a cop out answer. I mean, postage differences aside, which can't be helped because international postage is higher, would you charge a customer more for the same thing if they were located in a different area? For example, say a restaurant has 5 different areas, would you charge some of the customers a bit more for their dinner because your waiters have to walk a bit further to get their plates to them? (Not a perfect comparison, I know, just trying to illustrate why so many are protesting a percentage based fee on postage). 

Maybe the pertinent question is why haven't eBay charged FVF on postage until now, if they thought it was such a fair and reasonable thing to do? That might actually help to give you the answer you're looking for.

I've no intention of shooting anyone down for accepting the new fees, I'm still here, listing and selling and will hopefully still be doing that long after May, but my protest to it isn't about me. It's about the sellers whose fees are likely to more than double, with no discernable benefit to them. And it's just a simple fact that no one likes to pay a tonne more money for nothing (extra, I mean).

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

Very nice and easy to say, if you don't like it leave.

A trite remark that shows no understanding for many of these sellers.

A lot of those people spent HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of hours building up their eBay businesses with a reasonable expectation they would make a profit and could trade by terms and rules and fees they had become used to and were that way when they started..

Only to have the rules of the game continually changed forcing them into huge amount of unpaid work to meet the latest crazed directive, be it picture sizes, Premium Seller requirements and now being extorted on postage charges.

As for myself, postage changes affect me little, but I feel great sympathy towards people who sell mostly heavy items, in a country where the postal charges are outrageous already.

Perhaps you should too.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Petitions? No thanks

And another thing.

You say, if you don't like it leave.

If eBay suddenly banned reproductions of medieval items, there would go a large part of your business.

They have already banned repro coins, so why not just ban all reproductions?

I use that as an example to point out the fact that a simple policy change that may not affect you too much, can dramatically affect the lives of many people, try and keep that in mind.

That is what many people are going through now over the disgusting grab for more money out of your postage cost.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply