Posting to a parcel locker, signature on delivery required for PayPal?

I've got a buyer who is buying something expensive and provided an Auspost parcel locker as the address.

I would normally use SOD + Extra Cover and be happy, but I've read online that because of the way parcel lockers are secured, the parcel is able to be dropped into the locker and not need a proper signature.

I'm just wondering how this would affect a PayPal charge back or dispute? If the tracking info simply says "left in a safe location" or whatever.
I remember reading that PayPal required a signature for items valued over a certain amount for seller protection, but when I look up the Australian seller protection requirements, it does not say that anywhere.
It does say a signature is required for sales over US$750 on the US PayPal website though.

Anyone have any experience with this before?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Posting to a parcel locker, signature on delivery required for PayPal?

Can't help but very curious about the buyer of the $800 phone  although you can't name them here.

Hope they're not 0 feedback or something weird ?

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Nothing suspicious about the buyer. They have a bit of feedback.

Just curious since I haven't dealt with this situation before and want to cover myself.
Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

My advice, if the total is over AUD$750 - call both ebay and PayPal to ask what happens if you pay for a signature, but it is not obtained. 

eBay has the requirement of SOD for items of this value for their MBG policy, and even though you might be able to prove you paid for the feature, if a signature can not be obtained, they may deny protection in the event of a claim (I'm not 100% sure, but I believe eBay has asked sellers in the past to procure a copy of the signature obtained. The agent despositing the parcel in the locker is supposed to act as the signatory, from memory, but I'm not sure if they actually sign for it in the same manner a recipient would when receiving at a residence or similar). 

Personally, I would be inclined not to send, and consider cancelling the transaction (something wrong with the address), and asking the buyer to use a street or PO box address. 

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

I can't help either, but have a look at the Terms & Conditions here before sending

https://auspost.com.au/receiving/alternative-delivery-addresses/use-a-247-parcel-locker
Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Okay, I've spoken to Paypal who has confirmed:

Signature on delivery is not required for seller protection, regardless of the amount.

He also said that in the USA, they have the $750 requirement for signature on delivery because "USA has proof of delivery, AU has proof of shipping. I like the AU version lots better. How can you hold the seller responsible for what the courier does?"

Which makes a lot of sense.

If there were other signs to be concerned about, I would cancel the sale and ask for an address.

But I know people use parcel lockers for their after hours convenience

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

ebay does require proof of delivery, though - and signature on delivery for items with a value of $750 or more (including postage ). You may want to confirm with them what happens if the buyer opens an ebay case.
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks.

I've also spoken to eBay support who also said that an item valued over $750, posted to a parcel locker, will also be covered by eBay seller protection as long as I have the usual proof of delivery.

That's a load off my mind!
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I find theres no need for signed delivery with PO boxes and parcel lockers but will add insurance incase the parcel goes missing. 

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

I don't think AP will let you insure it without also having SOD on it if it's over $750. That's where the ebay requirement came from. I wouldn't send something that expensive without insurance!
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply