Posting to a parcel locker, signature on delivery required for PayPal?

I've got a buyer who is buying something expensive and provided an Auspost parcel locker as the address.

I would normally use SOD + Extra Cover and be happy, but I've read online that because of the way parcel lockers are secured, the parcel is able to be dropped into the locker and not need a proper signature.

I'm just wondering how this would affect a PayPal charge back or dispute? If the tracking info simply says "left in a safe location" or whatever.
I remember reading that PayPal required a signature for items valued over a certain amount for seller protection, but when I look up the Australian seller protection requirements, it does not say that anywhere.
It does say a signature is required for sales over US$750 on the US PayPal website though.

Anyone have any experience with this before?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@stick.it.good wrote:
Thanks.

I've also spoken to eBay support who also said that an item valued over $750, posted to a parcel locker, will also be covered by eBay seller protection as long as I have the usual proof of delivery.

That's a load off my mind!

I don't want to push the issue, make anyone feel paranoid or mistrustful of their buyers etc, but I also don't feel comfortable just saying nothing, and I'd feel even worse if I opted not to harp on about it and something went wrong - eBay expect more for items over this value than "the usual proof of delivery", so i just want to highlight the need to dot every I and cross every T.

Here's what the info pages states:

If a buyer reports that an item hasn't been received

If you send an item within your stated handling time and provide tracking information to the buyer before you or the buyer asks us to step in and help with a request, you're protected.

Tracking information must include:

A delivery status of "delivered"
The date of delivery
The recipient's address
Signature confirmation, if an item has a total cost of $750 or more.

Maybe check with Aus Post what signature confirmation is obtained with parcel lockers.

Please also see this post that caught my attention in a thread that's been bumped, which confirms what I mentioned earlier about ebay requesting a copy of the signature in order for the seller to be eligible for protection:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/What-Australian-ombudsman-do-I-contact-to-file-a-complaint/...

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks for the helpful info. This is why I asked for help and why I regularly check this section of the forums.

The Auspost info states that with a parcel locker, no signature is required as the security around accessing the locker is sufficient to warrant waiving it.

As you've quoted, It does clearly state that a signature is required for items over $750. And I think next time this happens I will push for an address.
On this instance I have the chat records with eBay confirming that a parcel locker does not give me a signature and that I will still be covered.

Regardless, I paid for signature on delivery, in case it does not go to a locker for any reason, and I have insurance. Hopefully all this is enough to keep me safe.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

@stick.it.good,

I would be concerned about relying on "chat records with eBay".

There have been instances where eBay members have been told something via eBay chat, and this has not been sufficient to protect them. This is because eBay chats do not overrule eBay policy. The eBay CS reps manning the eBay chats are the poorest-paid CS reps in the entire eBay hierarchy. They don't have decision-making ability, and they rely on their training scripts. Anything complicated...? They won't be able to give you the best advice... and whatever they say won't trump what's clearly stated as part of your Seller Protection.

Have you sent the item yet?

If not, I would hold off, and contact Australia Post again tomorrow to ask for clarification about what happens when you pay for signature on delivery in this sort of case.

I'd also contact eBay's eBay's "Have us call you" option - which is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

Weโ€™re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

(Nudge nudge: they are available right now.)

In cases like this, where you want advice that will protect you, I always advise recording the phone call (using an external recording device). Get permission from the CS rep at the start. See this post for details on recording calls to ensure that you do so legally.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

@stick.it.good wrote:
Thanks for the helpful info. This is why I asked for help and why I regularly check this section of the forums.

The Auspost info states that with a parcel locker, no signature is required as the security around accessing the locker is sufficient to warrant waiving it.

As you've quoted, It does clearly state that a signature is required for items over $750. And I think next time this happens I will push for an address.
On this instance I have the chat records with eBay confirming that a parcel locker does not give me a signature and that I will still be covered.

Regardless, I paid for signature on delivery, in case it does not go to a locker for any reason, and I have insurance. Hopefully all this is enough to keep me safe.

I recently sold some stamps for c.$400, for which I had specified Registered Post (they would have fitted in an ordinary large envelope.

The buyer checked out OK when I had a look, but her only available address was a Parcel Locker.

I spoke at some length to an A/Post bloke on their helpline, who was very helpful and who also seemed to know what he was actually talking about.

He told me that I couldn't use a letter, only a parcel (he also said to "bulk it up" so that it wasn't mistaken for a letter, even if sent in a satchel, and rejected).

On the question of signature, he said that my local PO would probably take my money, but that the receiving PO was not supposed to, and probably wouldn't, require a signature; if they did as they were supposed to, they'd simply put it in the Parcel Locker. 

So I didn't bother paying for signature, but I certainly took out insurance.

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

In cases like this, where you want advice that will protect you, I always advise recording the phone call (using an external recording device). Get permission from the CS rep at the start. See this post for details on recording calls to ensure that you do so legally.

Just wanted to add that you can also request that the rep you talk to summarise what they have told you into an email and send it to you - I do this any time I feel the need to have the main jist of the convo in black and white. So far they have all covered exactly what was said, and I tend to like this option because it's recorded on eBay's side, too. 

I've looked up a few forum threads from around the 'net discussing parcel lockers and SOD and some say the access code is used in lieu of a signature (implying that no sig will be obtained) and others say the staff will sign (though one said, to quote exactly, "post office staff will sign for you, effectively", with no clarification with regards to what "effectively sign for you" means). 

If you (OP) do get any more infor from AP or eBay, please do update ๐Ÿ™‚  

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Anything over $400 I think needs a signature.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

According to eBay, relevant terms already posted, it's $750.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

WOW I have SOD for anything over $20 lol

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

$400 was a reply to brerrabbit585's comment on Aust Post needing signature on delivery for insured parcels above a certain amount.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

I am not sure if signature to PO Boxes or parcel lockers is needed as the post office asks for ID when collecting and a parcel locker needs the pin number. 

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply