Prices of postage is why to high. Could it be monitored?

bellee78
Community Member

I have been buying sewing patterns on ebay recently and have noticed the postage prices vary quite abit. And when I have recieved them there has been 2 or 3 x 60Cent stamp on them and I have been charge $2.00. I know it's not much but do that for awhile to so many people and your making a nice little profit. It would be good to have a basic link with the price of postage in our own and around the world, then we can determine wether to buy the item or not, and this may also make the some of the sellers pull their heads in with over charging on postage. If they want to see a item for a certain amount then put a reserve on it and not make up the differance on postage.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Prices of postage is why to high. Could it be monitored?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Are you for real?

Charged $2 postage and they only had 3 x 60c stamps on it!

So envelopes and petrol to post your item are free are they?

And let's not go into time and effort to post it.

Why don't you try selling to ingrates like yourself

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Are you in the habit of buying items without knowing the postage cost?

All the items I buy have the postage in the listing and if it is not I ask before committing to buy.

Why does the postage come as a surprise to you?

Sellers are hardly making a fortune by charging 20 cents for pcking and handling....it is allowed by ebay.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

This isn't gonna end well

OP - you may want to read this link on Excessive Postage and Handling Policy

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

So you think that $2 is excessive? How about $116 postage for delivery of a $4 item of tablets within Australia?

Here is the item number: 261283221617

Not funny.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

So you think a seller should just stick a couple of stamps on your pattern and quickly scrawl your address on the front then drop it in the mail box? They shouldn't buy an envelope and take the time to put your pattern in it, clearly address the envelope and make sure all is as it should be, the seller is perfectly entitled to charge for the cost of the envelope, the ink for the label and their spit for sealing everything if they think it has value, they are certainly entitled to charge for their time so even if it was 2 x 60c stamps 80 cents seems very reasobable to me for the cost of the envelope and their time (not forgetting ther spit Woman Wink)

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Psst - crikey, your link contains a superflous http and doesn't go to the right page...(if you copy / paste a URL into the link box, make sure you paste over the http bit that's there by default). Smiley Tongue

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-shipping.html

@bellee78 - P&H involves a bit more than stamp prices. The most relevant points from the link are (emphasis mine):

Sellers may charge reasonable postage and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling

In other words,  eBay recognises that the cost to a seller for postage and packaging etc, includes a variety of expenses and more than just the price of the stamps on the envelope, and therefore allow sellers to pass on these costs as part of the P&H charge. 

"Excessive postage" is a little open to interpetation, but to be honest, I think there are very few who will deem an extra 20-80 cents above the stamp price to qualify as excessive (I charge $2 P&H for the items I post, with $1.20 stamps on the envelope. My postage cost DSRs are currently sitting on a full 5, so I can only assume neither eBay nor my buyers think my charges are too high. That $2 includes all packaging, and I don't make a profit on P&H). 

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

ashamed.gif

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

@bellee78 wrote:

I have been buying sewing patterns on ebay recently and have noticed the postage prices vary quite abit. And when I have recieved them there has been 2 or 3 x 60Cent stamp on them and I have been charge $2.00. I know it's not much but do that for awhile to so many people and your making a nice little profit. It would be good to have a basic link with the price of postage in our own and around the world, then we can determine wether to buy the item or not, and this may also make the some of the sellers pull their heads in with over charging on postage. If they want to see a item for a certain amount then put a reserve on it and not make up the differance on postage.

Also, very few categories allow reserves. And patterns aren't one of them.

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

This isn't gonna end well

OP - you may want to read this link on Excessive Postage and Handling Policy

hahahhaha kudos just for stating the obvious......Smiley LOL

@I cant say anything.......I am just plain speechless @ this OP.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply