Problem with international registered post and insured post and ebay still make money

Posted a parcel to UK international post. Was advised by ebay that insured or registered post is good. Now find it isn't!! Buyer claims it was not delivered and put a claim in, and ebay did not accept the insured post number as it is not trackable, and refunded the money to buyer. Now I have lost a $150 valued item, the $31 I paid for postage, plus the ebay fee of $4.46 as it sold at $45.

Just spent 3 hours on the phone to ebay who said I needed to call paypal. Paypal said I needed ebay. Ebay Aust said as the seller was in UK neeeded ebay in UK. They were not in at 10 am their time, so needed to phone ebay Aus back at 7 pm so they could put me thru to ebay UK at 11 am. I feel someone has ripped me off, and ebay will not even refund my seller fees. Making millions yet still keep the money from a bad sale!! poor performance and shame on ebay for no compassion when I have just done the right thing. More time on the phone tomorrow to Aust post to try and claim from the insurance . 

How are others posting international please.  

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Problem with international registered post and insured post and ebay still make money

International Registered does not have online proof of delivery, but a signature is supposed to be obtained when delivered, and that should be able to be submitted as proof of delivery during a dispute (presuming the item was delivered and a signature was obtained). If you have that, then you may be able to appeal the decision.

Otherwise, if the item was never delivered, it would be down to filing the claim for insurance.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Re: Problem with international registered post and insured post and ebay still make money

cq_tech
Community Member
For items purchased through ebay Australia, where only proof of postage is required, not proof of delivery, Registered Post International provides sufficient evidence of postage for Paypal and your buyer's claim should not have been upheld.

I suggest that you ring Paypal, ask to speak with a supervisor and explain to them that as you are in Australia, they need to apply the Australian T&Cs which only require proof of posting, not delivery as is required in the US.

You will be required to fax Paypal a copy of the PO-stamped RPI receipt as evidence, but once you've done so the decision should be reversed and ultimately resolved in your favour.

If they disagree (although they shouldn't) let them know that if the funds haven't been returned to your Paypal balance within 24 hours, you will be lodging an official complaint with the Financial Services Ombudsman (https://forms.fos.org.au/OnlineDispute).
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

cq_tech - If the buyer was logged into the UK site at the time of purchase then proof of delivery is required even if they purchased of an Australian Seller. The Protection policy for the buyers country is what applies - not the policy which is applicable to the sellers country.

Justcruising - check on the Royal Mail tracking site and see if it is trackable on there. If it is showing there as delivered submit that evidence to ebay.

If the tracking is not showing on the Royal Mail tracking site contact Australia Post and lodge a missing parcel enquiry and also request a copy of the signature if it has been delivered. 

If the parcel has been genuinely lost then Australia Post should cover you for the cost of postage plus the cost of the contents.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

You're quite right, Jen. I just naturally assumed that the item was purchased through ebay.com.au, in which case what I stated in my previous post would be accurate, but if the listing appeared on and was purchased through ebay.co.uk, then proof of delivery is indeed required by Paypal.

Incidentally, as well as checking the Royal Mail web site, I would also advise the OP to check http://www.trackitonline.ru/ as well.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice. Paypal said they just refunded the money to the buyer because the dipute was put thru ebay UK who ruled in favour of the buyer. I also tried that other tracking site, and that did show the item as posted and leaving Australia but that is all. At least that is more than the Aust post site which shows nothing. Will get the claim for today from the PO for the insurance claim. Some countries do not have insurance so I post as registered instead.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I have just had a nightmare experience selling to someone in the Philippines.........I posted item correctly and had all the details from Australia Post, tracking number, details etc. to prove I sent it off.  Buyer has been exceedingly rude and (new Ebayer) has left me a negative feedback to interrupt my good 700 score feedback.  She has not accepted that I have all the documentation from posting to it leaving Australia and has been lost in the Philippines en route., demanding her money back and being so abusive.  Ebay will not support me on this and it seems that Ebay only ever is there to support buyers and certainly not sellers.  I doubt after 12 years that I will ever use Ebay again and am looking for an alternative.  It has to be added that in phoning for customer support to help me with this, my call went straight through to the Philippines where customer support is based -------need I say more?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The dispute is dealt with by eBay in the buyers country (and subject to eBay policies in that country), even if the item bought was listed on ebay au.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

It doesnt help current problem but answer is - do not post overseas.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply