Providing Phone Number to Buyers

I know there are already multiple threads on this topic, as well as the fallout from eBay's current policies, but it became clear to me today exactly how you can safely provide a phone number to buyers (if you're a store holder) and I thought having a post here might be useful.

Apparently it's been available for a few months, too. Smiley Surprised (Apologies if this has been mentioned before and I missed it, of course)

If you go to My eBay > Account > Manage communication with buyers, twoards the end will be this:

have your phone number.PNG

If you edit that to say yes, you can enter a customer contact number.

Spoiler
This is a copy / paste of the info shown on the eBay info page for this feature: "From September 2017 you won’t be able to include contact information, i.e. phone numbers, email addresses or social media profiles, in item descriptions, images, eBay Stores or seller profiles.

Buyers and sellers should always use eBay messaging tools, such as My Messages or Best Offer, to communicate with each other. Sharing contact information in listings often leads to transactions being taken off eBay. This is against our policies, and limits our ability to protect you in case something goes wrong.

We know that many sellers offer telephone support as part of providing great customer service. From mid-2017, if you’re an eBay Store subscriber or list in the Motor Vehicles category, you’ll be able to indicate whether or not you’d like us to share your customer service phone number with buyers via the Ask a question link." 

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SR17-1/Contact-Links

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Providing Phone Number to Buyers

I think you're on a soapbox about a certain seller.

This has been dealt with on other threads

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

@imastawkawrote:

I think you're on a soapbox about a certain seller.

This has been dealt with on other threads

I did not mention any particular buyer but could list many but

presume you ebay apologista types would and do make ebay's excuses.

I am sure you have already reported this thread in case there is a loop hole that

was exposed in the OP - for your masters.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

Huh?

Melina.

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

Hi Ghostly One,

I've been trying to find where I originally read this, but no success. I have an idea there was a dropdown with brief explanation when we first set up, but I'm sure it was only at checkout, and I'd suggest after purchase.

We do get quite a bit of mail, but never a phone call, so??

Visit another qlander, buy an expensive pipe, include a generous 'tip' and find out for us .... lol.

Melina.

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

To save confusion, please have a look at which ID you are posting with.

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

According to ebay it is supposed to show up via the ask a question function ("We know that many sellers offer telephone support as part of providing great customer service. From mid-2017, if you’re an eBay Store subscriber or list in the Motor Vehicles category, you’ll be able to indicate whether or not you’d like us to share your customer service phone number with buyers via the Ask a question link."), but it doesn't say whether or not they have to already have purchased - maybe kopes asks you a question he can confirm (apologies if I'm being presumptuous, but he mentioned on the boards having made a purchase from you, so that would test whether non-store sellers can use it and if it shows if the buyer has already purchased). 

I'll try asking a question from several large retailers with a store and see what happens, too (I'll try a few I've purchased from, and a few I haven't, to try and see if I can determine the circumstances under which it's shown but won't get a chance until later tonight so if anyone else wants to experiement in the meantime.. 😄 ). 

(And in case it needs to be said for anyone else, contact details - or links to them - are not allowed in listing descriptions etc, at all. If some people get away with it, then that sucks or whatever, but I know of other sellers who had all of their thousands of listings ended because they didn't catch a couple that still had them in. I just wanted to mention a safe, ebay-approved way that will hopefully help some sellers). 

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

@digital*ghostwrote: 

(And in case it needs to be said for anyone else, contact details - or links to them - are not allowed in listing descriptions etc, at all. If some people get away with it, then that sucks or whatever, but I know of other sellers who had all of their thousands of listings ended because they didn't catch a couple that still had them in. I just wanted to mention a safe, ebay-approved way that will hopefully help some sellers)

Thought I might re-post this last para in case some people thought TLDNR

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

if certain sellers are able to break the rules or they do not apply to them i would

like to know why.

it does not seem right that sellers are suspended for say mentioning a phone call but no contact

details provided and then others are clear as day breaking the rules and nothing happens.

ebay sure will not say but someone knows.

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

Stawks - TLDNR??

thanks 🙂

Melina

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

The ASK A QUESTION option at the bottom of listings has disappeared - or is it just me?     I can't find it.

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply