Query re case refund appeal.

I recently sold a poster. Sent the item the same day payment was received, emailed the tracking no. to the buyer and thought all was good. Ten days later, buyer sends an email stating the item hadn't arrived even though the Aus. Post system indicated delivery had been made for that tracking no. I opened up a case with Aus. Post. The buyer opened a case on me with eBay and to my disbelief, eBay refunded the buyer in full, so I lost the poster and my funds because eBay said that was the resolution. Am I missing something??????? I appealed, but to this point, no reply from eBay Customer Centre. This just can't be right or fair for sellers surely?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Query re case refund appeal.

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago.  A case was opened and closed (buyer refunded) without me even realising it (my fault I guess for not checking my ebay messages, but I normally only check my emails and nothing came through via email.)

Customer claimed they never received their parcel.  I checked the tracking which said the parcel was signed for by the buyer by name and a copy of the signature as well but then at the same time the scanning said, wrong address, not known at this address.  It could be that the buyer changed their mind after signing for it, or the person who signed for it realised strait away it was not for her and gave it back and that they buyer had provided the wrong address (as yet it has not been returned back to me)

I disputed the claim, sent them proof of postage to the address supplied as they requested and today finally (it took about 2-3 weeks) I get a reply from ebay stating that they have granted my appeal and will refund me through paypal which will take 7-10 days.

Do you have proof of postage to the buyers address as Ebay specifically asked me to send them proof of postage to the buyers address (I sent them a copy of the shipping label and a screen shot from the couriers website also showing the buyers address).

Hope it goes well for you but it can take a couple of weeks or so.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

If people put the tracking numbers on ebay it'd deter a lot of scammers because they can see it and know it's in the system.  Yes, it takes time to do it but I'd much rather spend a few seconds entering the number in the system than waste hours trying to defend a case later on.  Tracking numbers are a deterrent and insurance, but only if used properly. 

I also believe entering the tracking number as soon as an item is posted creates goodwill between the seller and buyer, and I'd do it for that reason alone.  I get annoyed when sellers leave me wondering what's going on and I'm not likely to leave as good a feedback as I otherwise would have when the goods arrive.

I disagree.

I don't add any tracking numbers to ebay or paypal for a few reasons.

1 it's too time consuming
2. because it cuts down on scammers.

As we sellers know sometimes australia post are a bit slack it updating their tracking. I have in cases checked on items and found they never update as delivered. (have a few at the moment) so if buyer was a scammer and was to be tracking this they could very well say the item is not received when in fact it most probably has been. I do keep all the receipts so if there is ever a problem I then track it myself first and then supply the buyer the number.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

@cq_tech wrote:

Paypal have quite clearly breached their own terms and conditions in this case, so rather than continuing to bash your head against the corporate brick wall, go straight to https://forms.fos.org.au/OnlineDispute and lodge an on-line dispute with the FOS, explaining everything you've stated in here, and I'll virtually guarantee that Paypal will refund all of your money (plus an apology).

I'd personally be inclined to speak one last time with a Paypal CS rep and tell them exactly what you're doing, as it's quite possible they'll back down and pay up once you've made it quite clear that you intend carrying out your threat, but if they still refuse, go ahead and lodge your complaint, and if the FOS find Paypal to have erred in their decision (which they clearly have), not only will the FOS instruct Paypal to refund you immediately, they will also levy a fairly substantial fine on Paypal as well - something in the order of a couple of thousand dollars or more, so it's definitely in Paypal's best interest for them to accede to your request, before it costs them 100s of $$$s more than it needs to. BTW, do so via phone, and definitely NOT email as these are routinely ignored.

It looks like the buyer opened the case with eBay not Paypal. Is it still possible to involve the FOS? 

As far as both eBay and Paypal are concerned, the case under discussion has been closed and they've said so themselves. A new complaint with the FOS may well involve an item which has already been subject to adjudication regarding another matter, but that particular matter had nothing to do with the case in hand so I can see no reason that precludes the OP from lodging a completely separate complaint with Paypal, especially when it relates to to an error which Paypal have clearly made but failed to rectify prior to their closing the case. Paypal can claim what they like, but the fact is that they have improperly closed an unresolved case and it legally falls upon them to resolve the situation ASAP.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. You have renewed my faith in the fact that I am not insane. I will pursue with the relevant authorities, as believe it is just wrong to take funds from a personal account when clearly, all the right steps were taken. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well after speaking to Paypal and explaining the situation and that I was more than prepared to follow-up with the lodgement of a complaint to the FOS, I was given a credit for the refund. Should never have gotten to this and I will be well-aware if I ever use eBay again just what can happen, even when you do the right thing. Thnaks everyone.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

Well done! Usually, speaking to a live SC rep and threatening them with a FOS dispute will do the trick, particularly if you're in the right, as you clearly were in this instance.
Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

Good for you and I agree it should never have gotten to that point - waste of time. I just experienced something similar - however in my case the buyer left positive feedback that he received the item shortly shortly after he opened the cause, but refused to close the case (don't know why). Result? They refunded the seller so he now has both the item and the money refunded - not even his own admission (through eBays system) is enough to rule in my favor.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply