Refunded item delivered to buyer. Buyer refuses talk to me after getting a free item.

I was selling a $500 item, due to Chritmas and bushfires, the delivery got delayed. Buyer started an item not received claim, closed in buyers favour, so I had to refund the buyer. But the item got delivered a few days after the buyer received the refund. I was trying to claim insurance from courier company but got rejected because they have delivered the item to the buyer. So basically the buyer got the item for free. I was trying to contact him for many days but he simply ignores me. So what's the deal? I packed and posted the item as soon as he placed the order, and even purchased insurance, and still ended up with this? What else could I do?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Refunded item delivered to buyer. Buyer refuses talk to me after getting a free item.

Contact eBay support and explain the situation.  They will tell you to contact the buyer. Advise that you have done that but the buyer wonโ€™t respond or pay for the item. sometimes they may pay you as a โ€œgood will gestureโ€

generally ebay will cover sellers for delayed delivery to severe weather (floods, bushfires etc) affecting certain areas but if applicable it will be listed under the Announcements page. I had a quick look and there is nothing current relating to bushfires, only floooding in Vic, QLD and NSW.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/eBay-Announcements/bg-p/eBayAnnouncements

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

where was the item going to

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

You'll need to contact ebay asap, as designers suggested.

There is a certain subset of buyers who will keep anything that arrives after they have had a refund for non arrival. I've known a couple of people like this and they excused it with the comment that it arrived way after they needed it or that they had been messed around. But in both those cases, the items were small and had arrived about a month late.

You're talking a $500 item so it is worth pursuing. Ebay may, as a goodwill gesture, refund you out of their own coffers if they can see all the doocumentation. You can't count on that though.

I would try messaging the buyer again but state that you have the documentation that proves the item was delivered to them on such and such a date, so they now have the item and the money and they will now need to pay for it before it is reported to the police. Otherwise, you are willing to issue a postage label if they would prefer to return the item.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Just wondering why you were not covered by ebays seller protection,  If the item was shipped within your handling time, with tracking and 1 valid tracking event, then you should be covered and ebay should foot the refund.   Was tracking uploaded before the INR  was raised.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Looks like the sale was 2 weeks before xmas, with  approx 5 - 11 day delivery window.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

kermit2023
Community Member

IMG_5112.jpeg

Im a tad confusedโ€ฆ. Which $500 item has been refunded to the buyer? 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Does it matter what the item was?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@kermit2023 wrote:

IMG_5112.jpeg

Im a tad confusedโ€ฆ. Which $500 item has been refunded to the buyer? 

Maybe they have multiple selling accounts, like lots of us do? Gee, who would have thought of that?

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

It is  one of the shown items, I think kermi was pointing to another possible discrepancy in the OP.

Possible the order was for 2 items, but also possible price over stated.

If the OP is taken as gospel, then why did seller protection not apply.

Item sold 2 weeks before xmas, no bushfires in centre of Melbourne, and I am unaware of AP  having any fire related delays of any significance.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply