Returns, shipping and timeframes

joshawe_7
Community Member

I would appreciate some input into how the returns process (MBG) would normally play out. 

I’ve accepted the return of an item I sold under eBay’s money back guarantee. Once I had accepted the return I was prompted to buy a returns shipping label and sent it to the buyer, which I did. Making sure the address was correct. It was around 9:30 - 10:00pm when I did this. 

Not long after I had sent the buyer the shipping label, at around 10:30pm I received a notification saying that the item had been sent. This was on the 27th July. The return parcel was logged in my Aus Post app with the status as “waiting to be processed” which it has remained since.

I have messaged the buyer multiple times about the return but have not heard back from them at all. 

I was able to speak with Aus Post and was informed that the item had not been scanned into their system and was still waiting collected. 

I’m a little unsure if this would be normal.

Are there time limits for shipping a return? 
Why would eBay show the return as sent when it has not been?

Are there time limits for me to receive the item?

Will I be expected to refund the buyer  if I do not receive the item back? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Returns, shipping and timeframes

imastawka
Honored Contributor

What happens if the buyer doesn't send the item back?

Once you've accepted a return, the buyer should send the item back to you as soon as possible. If we don't see any indication that the item is on its way after 15 business days, we may close the return and protect you from negative Feedback. Keep in mind that some returns can remain open for up to 35 business days.

How to handle a return request as a seller | eBay

Has the tracking been uploaded to the case?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Yes the tracking is linked to the case. I just checked to make sure and it actually looks like as soon as I sent the buyer the return label the item was marked as sent.

I thought this was odd at the time given that it was 10:00pm. Another thing I thought odd was the return request looks to have originated from Sunshine West VIC as the item was posted to an address in NSW. ( I’ve attached screen shots) 

Aust Post have not collected or scanned the return parcel as of yet. The customer enquiry was me contacting Aus Post. 

It would be a lot easier to clarify what’s happening if the buyer responded to me. I don’t want to been seen as hassling them but I don’t really want to leave it to chance. What worries me is the return being marked as sent by eBay’s system when Aus Post have no record of the parcel other than the initial return request. 

When I shipped the item to the buyer originally (screen shot of tacking attached) I noticed that once I had generated the shipping label through eBay the parcel was marked as sent, when in fact I had only just printed the label and didn’t sent it until the following day. It took 6 days to arrive (including a weekend) The difference there is clearly I had sent the item as the tracking shows the parcels full journey. 

I’m not sure what I could have done wrong. 

73627315-D516-44AB-9160-65E22C4C0935.png

85F8707E-A0D8-4253-AA5C-671B373A3C26.png

AFCAB498-DB86-4F45-9DA1-C0B7A9477FDD.jpeg

C38EA1BA-F779-4B6E-8433-10AB7D9D5E18.png

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

When you create a shipping label through ebay, it's automatically marked as sent. As long as you have added to the tracking number to the dispute, you should be OK. You may have to add it several times because the bots aren't that bright. If the buyer wants a refund, then they need to post it back!

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

The tracking number is definitely logged with the dispute. I did just receive a call which turned out to be eBay trying to contact me. I was literally just leaving the house. I was opening the door, trying to not let the dog out and trying to answer the phone…. I didn’t realise it was eBay until I returned the call. Of course I can’t speak to them if I call them. The message said to go eBay.con.au/sellerhelp but I can’t see how to contact them at all. 

frustrating. 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Go to "Help" on any page.

Scroll down to "Contact Us".

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks, I got there in the end. 

have had clarification from eBay.

The buyer has up to the 10th August to send the return. If this isn’t done the return case will be closed in my favour. 

of course the other side to that is I understand I will need to meet my obligations if the buyer sends the item before the 10th. 

I just have to wait. But at least I know exactly what and how long I’m waiting for now. 👍

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I'm so pleased to see you have listened to the advice given in the forums. It's quite rare!! In the event the plane does get returned, make sure you mention any of the repairs and show photos if possible when you relist. You can add up to 12 photos to a listing, use them. From what you've said, you still should get a good price for it, but best to be up front with the condition. 

You have to describe absolutely everything. Ask the clothing sellers about that! Someone will buy a garment, then claim not as described because there is a small thread on the hem, on the inside of the garment. Sadly, those buyers win disputes, because that thread should have been mentioned and it wasn't.

Whichever way it goes, please come back and let us know the outcome.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks. I would have been silly not to have taken the advice. I do have a further question/ recent addition to this. I receive rather confusing email from eBay. The content of the email does not make it at all clear what has or should happen as it contains conflicting information ( screenshot attached) .

It says eBay has asked the buyer to send the item, then states the buyer has indicated they have sent the item and the item should have been delivered. Then goes on to state once I’ve received it to pay the refund. In a further paragraph the email then states if the item hasn’t arrived yet the buyer may not be returning it. 

This is probably once of the least helpful emails I have ever received. Im hoping it’s just a very very very badly worded automated email.

The parcel has not been sent , so clearly I haven’t received it. The tracking reflects this. 

why would eBay sent such a confused email? 

36B61011-D0BE-48EB-BF79-327722056521.jpeg

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Unless the tracking shows delivered, do not refund the buyer. Don't let them have the money and the item. Not for that amount of money. Keep checking the tracking number each day to see if they've actually posted it.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply