S HOULD THIS PERSON BE BANNED

Hi I sold a clock to REMOVED ,not working as is , he had the clock and decided he didn't want it , as it was rusty workings and had a crack in the back of the case,,so he says.  the ad had photos which he could see , I sent a reply stating that the clock only needed a good clean by a jeweller and it was sold as not working and i was not liable for refunding as he didn't read my ad properly,

Now he wants the $150 he paid for courier to be refunded and is sending me threatening and abusive emails also using the f word and more, he is a very rude person and now I have blocked him from sending any more of his rubbish I think thats all I can do , by the way he didn't return the clock as he said he was going tobut he still wanted a refund  any comments what do you think  k&k

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You are right mb.....if an item is listed as pickup only the buyer is not supposed to be able to claim that it is not as described.  The fact that the buyer arranged for it to be picked up means that ebay considers it to have been inspected and the buyer is happy with it.

Make sure you point out to whoever you speak to that it was a pickup only item.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Select help at the top of the page and report the member for his abusive messages.

This will have a report on record in case things escalate.

If the buyer hasn't opened a case then simply ignore any further contact.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

@ken.1803,

I will be honest here, and say that the description you gave could be misread because of the lack of punctuation.

FRENCH CLOCK needs cleaning has pendulum and key,a nice movement ,TLC wouldn't go amiss,was cleaned 50 yrs ago by jeweller, last time it was looked at ,,been in storage since and it has lost its hands somewhere along the way at present not working

Had you written, "FRENCH CLOCK, needs cleaning. Has pendulum and key. The movement is nice. TLC wouldn't go amiss, as this was cleaned 50 yrs ago by jeweller. That was the last time it was looked at; it's been in storage since then, and it has lost its hands somewhere along the way. At present, the clock is not working", it would instantly have been clearer.

If the buyer is correct in saying that the workings were rusty and that there was a crack in the back of the case, you should have included that information. That's important information for the buyer to know before purchasing.

Also, you didn't include a condition description for this clock. This field is to "Provide details about the condition of a non-new item, including any defects or flaws, so that buyers know exactly what to expect." Because it was "not working", I strongly suggest that you ought to have filled out the Condition Description box with that information.Something like this: "Not working. Lacks the minute and hour hands. Needs cleaning. Workings look a little rusty. Slight crack in the back of the case. Please see photos for details."

Then in your item description, you could have said, "FRENCH CLOCK. As stated in "item condition", it is not working, and requires cleaning plus new hands. However, its movement is nice, and the pendulum and key are present. This was last cleaned 50 years ago by jeweller. That was the last time it was looked at; it's been in storage since then. Some TLC should bring this clock back up to working order, and as you can see from the photos, it's a charming piece even with those few flaws which careful restoration should be able to remedy."

I must say too that your photo of the back of the clock is awful. How can anyone see anything from that? If there was a crack, it would be impossible to see from that blurred image.

Well, back to your question about the buyer. No, the buyer isn't going to be banned from eBay. While it's unpleasant and rude of him to send abusive profanity to you, and you can report him for that, he is also feeling cheated. It's only because you listed the clock as pick-up only, and the buyer presumably arranged freight (or at least didn't pick up the clock himself) that you're safe from an eBay dispute.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

You might end up loosing the clock and your money if ebay sides with the buyer which in my opinion will be the case.

Should the person be banned? I can't see how they will be banned,don't you know that buyers are ebay's bread and butter crumbs.

If you don't sort it out with the buyer and ebay steps in then you will loose.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Please keep us updated with this issue as I for one would definitely like to know the outcome?

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

will do
ken
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

thank you                    ken

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I am already in Ebay dispute which takes time to finalise.I shall lose of course and he will have his $300.back. what i objected to was all the emails he sent with abusive comments     ken

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@ken.1803 wrote:

I am already in Ebay dispute which takes time to finalise.I shall lose of course and he will have his $300.back. what i objected to was all the emails he sent with abusive comments     ken

Other members may have further advice, but if it were me and I was sure I had advertised accurately (which I believe you did - you said it was not working etcand since the buyer has been rude and abusive, before the case closes I would have eBay 'Call Me' and I would ask that they refer to the abusive messages and look at the listing BEFORE making a decision.

Just a quick question - was it the buyers choice to pay $150 for a Courier ?  Curious as to why he'd pay that much

Good luck and again, please keep us posted

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

the buyers choice  as it was a pickup only listing  ok  kath

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply