SELLERS BEWARE!!! eBay/PayPal deception/rip off

Firstly I'd like to begin with saying that my selling practices have not changed in the last year-doing exactly has I had successfully done to obtain Top Rated Seller status for.

Now with new policies, it has made my status decline & I'm fed up with loosing such large amounts of money to dishonesty, deception & greed.
Below I will highlight some areas sellers should be absolutely aware of now.

1/ With the new eBay moneyback guarantee it requires ALL ITEMS BE SENT WITH TRACKABLE POSTAGE....PERIOD, to receive seller protection.

If a seller does not send an item via a trackable means of postage, any & every buyer can open a request, even when they have received the item, to claim their money back. Even when the buyer has declined paying for the upgrade to trackable postage. eBay has opened itself up to abuse via dishonesty.

2/ Now I had always offered free postage with several options to upgrade that to a trackable form at the buyers expense, that typically buyers waive at checkout.
eBay receives a fee of that postage amount if a buyer does upgrade which is utterly wrong as eBay do not provide that service at all. eBay already receive a fee from the collection of those funds through PayPal.
Estimated delivery on items is misleading. Countless times I'm asked, 'said my item was to be here <such & such a date>. Australia Post policy states that a standard delivery item can take up to 10 business days. eBay should be following Australia Posts policy, not their atomatically generated 'estimate' which buyers mostly take as being a guarantee of delivery.

3/ Returns: A buyer can now open a returns request. The seller can accept the return. The buyer does not need to return it & can escalate it later to receive a full refund. Appealing this does not gain a result. Buyers do not need to provide tracking of the return.

4/ Below Average Seller status results in PayPal freezing available funds for up to 21 days. The Financial Ombudsman Service www.fos.org.au is eager to hear from all who have this issue.
Simply go to the website, click lodge a dispute (green button to the right), then lodge a dispute button again (green button bottom) & fill out the form.

The only way to increase your status & release funds quicker is to provide tracking numbers.
Funds are released when feedback is received, so PayPal have informed me.
Now a dispute process is already available, so the 'freeze' of funds is unwarranted.

5/ Every request opened becomes a defect on your seller status. ie, your positive rating declines.

6/ Negative or Nuetral feedback when unwarranted or unjustified even when you can prove it, will still not removed when reveiwed by eBay. Basically, as long as there is no profanity, contact information or threats, then a buyer can say whatever untruth they wish without having to worry eBay will reveiw their account.

I have maintained a 1 business day mailing out policy as I have done for over a year now.
Had my great service reflected in the excellent feedback I was receiving. (Yes you'd have those customers who are not satisfied with any solution to a problem & would leave negative or neutral feedback.)
Now since eBay have introduced new policies without prior warnings of the changes, my seller status has dropped to 'below average' even tho I have not changed a thing.
The new moneyback guarantee is to blame.
It has given free reign for all standard mail items sent to be refunded if the buyer opens a request.
Simple solution is to increase the prices, yeah. In theory. eBay is all about the lowest price gets the sale. Increase in my price means I wont get the sale. Bigger stores have better postage deals with Australia Post and therefore can sell cheaper.
The returns request has also been changed & can easily be manipulated. I've had several buyers ask for a return. I accept as I should. Item does not arrive, buyer escalates for review & I have to refund & the buyer keeps the item, no return tracking needed.

Recently I was in hospital for just over 3 weeks. Arranged for someone to maintain the processing of my daily sales. Messages & my PayPal account were not.

Upon coming home, I was fuming to find that both eBay & PayPal had been refunding my money. In PayPal 2 large $$$ trackable purchases marked 'delivered' had been refunded by PayPal because I had not responded to their requests for the tracking information. I appealed and gave the information they had requested. It was rejected as I had not provided the information in the time they had asked for it. in eBay was simply the requests to say the buyer had not received their item. Item packaged & sent. Even if there was an issue like Australia Post loosing an item or unsecure letter boxes, (which I have always replaced at my expense in the past when it occurred), the sharp increase in buyers saying their item has not arrived has to lie with dishonesty. & as the seller, I pay the price.
Yet again, dishonest buyers getting the approval to continue being dishonest without any consequence.

Sellers have no protection unless you spend the $$ to buy tracking.
In my case, I sell items that cost from $10-$30 typically. Cost to send is $1.40-$3.50. Where's the justification in buying postage of $7.20 per item to get tracking? Plus the rediculously high eBay fees on top of that, then PayPal fees. Makes selling the cheaper items (which sell so well), not profitable at all. When sellers in my genre of DVD/Blu ray don't make much on each item sold to begin with.
Australia Post have teamed up with eBay for postage options. Why Australia Post is not doing 'large letter parcel postage' pricing is detrimental to them. Oh, but that's right, Australia Post 'claim' standard mail is not making them money so they want to cut it. Initiatives to increase sales in the standard mail forum would be more beneficial.

Anyway, theres my warning & rant.
Anyone else have views of their own on this sunject?

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: SELLERS BEWARE!!! eBay/PayPal deception/rip off

@justkidzbiz wrote:

"eBay already receive a fee from the collection of those funds through PayPal."

Ebay no longer receive the fee that was charged on postage when a buyer pays with Paypal as eBay and Paypal are now separate companies. I'm assuming that is why eBay started charging a fee on postage.

That is not why eBay started charging fees on postage.

When saustin75 posted that, in early February, eBay still owned Paypal.

Message 51 of 60
Latest reply

I sell many of my DVDs for less than $3 with free postage so how is paying $3 to register them to get tracking going to help.

Message 52 of 60
Latest reply

You're so right Crazy. AP pushing for parcels. When I started selling on eBay 10 or so years ago it was well worth it selling on eBay. A 500gm parcel only cost around $4.00 to post, now the cos of postaget, in some cases costs more than an item, which makes it not worth buying. I wouldn't be so frustrated with the cost of AP postage if the service was equal to what you pay for, but over the last 12 months I have found AP's service to be totally unacceptable. Too many late deliveries, (particularly going Metro Vic to Metro Vic). Lost parcels and no responsibility accepted by AP, yes there is insurance but I already pay for a delivery service, if AP lose the parcel, they are accountable regardless and particularly now with all parcels having tracking, if a parcel can be proven to have been lodged, then AP need to accept the responsibility.

Message 53 of 60
Latest reply

Hey Saustin, that neg you got from (9***2) 145, for The Family Blu-Ray, you can ask eBay to remove it because of the profanity used in their feedback.!

Message 54 of 60
Latest reply

Hey, saustin probably doesn't care. They haven't sold anything in over 6 months, and haven't been on the boards since they posted in FEBRUARY.

Message 55 of 60
Latest reply

Might have to jump to $6 with "free" postage, noting quotation marks. ๐Ÿ™‚

When large letters become $2 (or $3 if over 125g) next week you'll have no choice but to ramp up the cost or sell at a loss.
Message 56 of 60
Latest reply

Yes i can relate to that.

Im not in anyway racist, but most of my buyers who claimed to not have received their product has been one nationality.

Maybe its happening to you too. 

Message 57 of 60
Latest reply

You dig up an ancient thread to post a very racist comment.....well done.

As a matter of interest, how do you know the nationality of your buyers?

I was not aware that we had to disclose this information to ebay sellers and how else would you know?  It is certainly not obvious from a person's name or address.

Message 58 of 60
Latest reply

Try to check the thread age before commenting. I know it is easy to forget sometimes, I do, but it is a good habit.

Latest reply

honestly couldn't agree more with this.
Instead of working on my ebay account right now. I'm wasting my time saying this.
Ebay is ripping off their "sellers"
Us "sellers" are the only reason ebay works. However ebay has been terrible to me to be honest.
I've sold over 50k of stuff on here and apparently the customer is always right and i am always wrong. 
The customers always win even knowing they are lying with everything they say. The customers "request to return this item" wins 90% of the time even knowing i tested the item before i posted it lol.
The delivery man drops my package and leaves a tiny little scratch... i get the blame. I have to pay for the postage to and from + pay ebay fees for a return?
So i pay
1) ebay fees
2) postage fees
3) customer refunds, i still have to incur these fees. Even knowing these fees no longer exist because the customer already got their money back. Forcefully from ebay.

I literally have a review on my account where the customer says "i never sent their item, they don't have it. They aren't going to get it"
Basically saying i took their money and didn't post their item. 
If that was actually true? wouldn't ebay ban me? wouldn't i be charged for breaking the law?
How can a review like this stay on my account if it's impossible for it to even be true? since i'm still actively online with ebay, still selling... still providing tracking numbers because i do obviously do post my customers orders?
'this is literally the review thats making me pay an extra 4% now on EVERY SALE, this is new.'
'below standard seller performance" = 4% FEE

I understand that this is a complexed business. Buying and selling new and second hand items. Lots of problems, troubles and legalities. I've been doing this for about 10 years.
However... ebay is taking more than 12% + 4% below standard seller performance. + Tax GST

quick note on that "below standard performance" is from customers making false claims. Such as the guy i talked about above. Also the maths is this 
i had 94 customers, 88 of them are happy. 6 of them are not.
Apparently that is "below standard" lol.... it's really not... it's literally impossible to please everyone. 
Satisfying 88 customers out of 94 is really really good.
However ebay recently started charging me an extra 4%!!! for "below standard performance"
SCAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

also double check your numbers sellers. The ebay fees that are being thrown at you might actually mean you aren't making the profit you thought you was.
I just calculated one of my sales. I thought i made $70 of pure profit. I only made about $8.50
I had no idea and my heart broke. I felt really hard done by. Ebay is making more from me than i am from my customers sometimes. That's not right. That's not fair. That's not just.
I am really paying about 20% fees on every sale. I did the maths today.

Message 60 of 60
Latest reply