Seller Claiming an item they bought not genuine

Really need some help with this one fellow ebayers!

My daughter won a pair of unisex Raybans in a competition in the Uk. The Raybans appear to be a superseded model.

She has never worn them and has both the case & the box for them

We advertised them, IN GOOD FAITH, on ebay and this seller bought them for $82.

He emailed us today claiming he took them to "the shops" and was advised that they are not genuine Ray-Bans! news to us!!

He wants to return them, but our ebay listing says we will not accept returns.

Advice please???

I dont want negative feedback as I have a 100% good one!

Regards

ClanMiles

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Seller Claiming an item they bought not genuine

Handy item stalks, but Shaun the Sheep is an expert at patting my back.................

Spoiler
Admittedly he's had lots of practice of course, "smug smile"...................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>zoom.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Contact the business who supplied the Glasses and ask them for a written letter explaining the Raybans were a prize in their competition and they are genuine Raybans.

I would also ask the buyer to provide written proof from the shop they took them too as it is very important because if they are "fake" you have actually been lied to by the competition that was run. Explain once you have their letter you will take it to the local police so they can look into the "fake" merchandise that was supplied. ALSO and this important: if they are fake it is against the law to send them in mail in Australia, the buyer could actually be fined.

I doubt they are fake it sounds simply like buyers remorse.

Paypal will be breaking the law if they ask buyer to return any fake item but YOU NEED to have proof that they are NOT fake either by whom you won them off or the store they buyer went to.

I hope it all works out for you.♥

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Personally I'd just accept them being returned, then refund the money. That way at least you've got something, you can get them authenticated and re-list them. If it goes to a PayPal dispute, it can get messy.

In the PayPal user agreement, under the following section;

4.4 Potential seller risks include:

ITEMS MAY NOT BE RETURNED

If your buyer files a claim about a counterfeit item they may be required to obtain documentation from a qualified third party to substantiate their claim. The payment may be reversed.

It is against the law to sell a counterfeit item.

Which means if PayPal determine they are fake, you stand to loose your money and the sunglasses. The buyer may get a document to say they are 'fake', but this could be from a shop that has little knowledge of Ray-Bans, the buyer could fake the document, or the buyer could even take different pair of sunglasses to get authenticated. I know know this, as a very similar thing happened to me. The problem is the buyer submits the document to PayPal, but they won't let you see it or know what it says, unless you get a court order, which I actually had to do. So you won't know who the 3rd documentation is from, what it says or even if it's the item you sold. It's a big flaw if you're a seller and you accept PayPal. And as stated in previous posts, it's illegal to send items that are deemed counterfeit in the mail, and PayPal will order the buyer to destroy them, usually affidavit from the buyer saying they have done so.

As for your Rayban's actually being fake, I don't know. They might be, they might be not. I do lots of people wear Ray-Bans, and as sunglasses go, they aren't that expensive to buy. So, to me, they are just as likely to be genuine.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply