Seller did not return supposedly defective item even though EBay refunded the full purchase price.

agcam
Community Member

Beware - I recently listed an item of jewelry and fully disclosed its condition to the best of my ability. The eventual successful bidder asked for and I forwarded extra detailed photos as requested. On receipt of the item the buyer nitpicked about the item with unsubstantiated claims about defects - She lodged a case before I agreed to a refund and was refunded the full purchase price under the EBay buyer protection policy. I had already been paid,  less eBay fees.  The buyer has not returned the item within the specified time and has not answered my messages. Unfortunately it appears that under eBay policy she may not have to return it .  If it was so unsatisfactory why does she want to keep it ? (Scrap silver value about $45)

Is this fair?  Is this conscionable ? She has the item free  and I am out of pocket for about $45 for ebay fees, postage and prepaid  return postage which she demanded before returning the item.   Should I give her negative feedback ?

I have made a complaint to EBay yet to be resolved - but I am not holding my breath. I would love to get it back - would not sell again !

I

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Seller did not return supposedly defective item even though EBay refunded the full purchase pri

Doubt eBay did tell them such a thing

OP did their own thing - failed to respond to dispute

Sent postage their own way (not a return label)

Did everything 'outside eBay/the dispute'

Has posted the same thread eight times and posted on other threads dating back to 2017

Ignored all advice from many members who responded

Has declared they will close their account to 'thawt' eBay getting money owed 

Stated posting here is complaining to eBay

Doubt the ACCC are going to be too interested 

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Re: Seller did not return supposedly defective item even though EBay refunded the full purchase pri

@hortineil wrote:

Ebay declaring that customers do not have to return items to receive a refund goes against the ACCC. 

Maybe you want to read all the threads this OP has put up about this incident and realise that they did not follow the correct process,  so it is not an Ebay issue rather then an OP issue.  The ACCC will have a good laugh at them.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Ebay declaring that customers do not have to return items to receive a refund goes against the ACCC. 

Please state the relevant statute/section of the act.

Bearing in mind that the ACCC only has jurisdiction over registered businesses, within Australia, selling new goods.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@hortineil wrote:

No, it becomes a civil matter between the buyer and seller.   While the seller, if an Aussie Business, is  bound by the ACCC,  the buyer is not.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply