Sellers opinions as buyers..

So I purchase an item, tunic, listed as wool in the heading and as fabric... arrives as cotton polyester... paid significantly for it, as it was supposedly wool.. second hand.. cheap brand, crossroads. all up $24.. So I ask to return, and after 10 days get this reply... which **bleep** me off........ "The word wool was used as a description as in 'wooly' but I can imagine this may have been a bit confusing. I will try to word things more clearly for the future. I did clearly label the item as coming from cross roads and they have always been a fast fashion house using blends. Does the item fit you and is it something you might use? I am open to negotiating a refund but I can't see much point in sending back the item unless you have no use for it at all.".. Yes, I asked to refund it, it's not worth anything if it's not wool.. but will be be entitled to the original postage refunded as well as the postage to send it back? I always refund in entirety if I am at fault.. but this seller seems to think I should be responsible for her mistake! Am I wrong to think it's pretty stupid not to know that wool is not woolly, but is a fabric. ?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sellers opinions as buyers..

You can't be expected to know what type of fabric every manufacturer uses in their clothing! If it says wool then it should be wool, end of story.

Use ebay's money back guarantee so that the seller pays for the return postage if they want it back, and so that they refund ALL of your money.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

No your not wrong especially if it was described as wool.

If it was woolly style fabric that would be different.

If a listing is ambiguous, it is the buyer's responsibility to ask before buying.

If not, it is the seller's responsibility to list it correctly and without possible misunderstandings.

Personally, if it stated WOOL and not mention cotton/poly, then seller can refund AFAIC.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

You can't be expected to know what type of fabric every manufacturer uses in their clothing! If it says wool then it should be wool, end of story.

Use ebay's money back guarantee so that the seller pays for the return postage if they want it back, and so that they refund ALL of your money.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Edit: oops, posted a blank message in error.

But since I'm here, there's nothing to "negotiate'', there are so many reasons why one can require natural fibre fabric, which means people rely on product descriptions to be accurate. I'd be miffed at the seller's lackadaisical attitude. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

And as a wool grower, I dont want my product cheapened by oil and gas based synthetic fibres, claiming to be wool.....Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I hear ya 😄

TBH, I'm having difficulty understanding how 'wool' = "woolly", and then also how "woolly" can even qualify as a descriptive term meaning "like wool" when "woolly" quite literally means made from wool. *

(NB: "woolly" has a secondary meaning, though: C/P because I'm lazy - "vague or confused in expression or character." So if someone said the seller was being woolly when they described the jumper as wool / woolly, then I'd have to agree.... Smiley Surprised ). 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

No your not wrong especially if it was described as wool.

If it was woolly style fabric that would be different.

If a listing is ambiguous, it is the buyer's responsibility to ask before buying.

If not, it is the seller's responsibility to list it correctly and without possible misunderstandings.

Personally, if it stated WOOL and not mention cotton/poly, then seller can refund AFAIC.

Most (reasonable) buyers would ask if it was ambiguous . . . but eBay will still make it the seller's responsibility if a buyer doesn't ask, and then opens a INAD based on an assumption made from an ambiguous description.

I agree with Rabbit, though - go through the process and make sure you get all of your money back, OP. This is not your fault.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

The problem with expecting buyers to ask questions when a description may be ambiguous is you are not always aware it is ambiguous until you receive the item.  In this case the buyer could reasonably expect wool to mean wool so why would they ask questions?

Personally I think it is the seller's responsibility to correctly identify the materials / fabrics as they are the ones in possession of the item.  Almost all commercially produced fashion has fabric labels.  If they have been removed and you're not sure then say so in the description.  Alternatively, many sellers photograph the fabric label and add it to the listing so there is absolutely no possibility for ambiguity.

I buy a lot of leather items (nothing kinky ... just jackets, bags, etc) and sellers who do not know the difference between leather and synthetic materials like PU are the bane of my existence.  It is also irritating when titles state "leather" but descriptions state PU or faux leather.  [BTW, IMO there is no such thing as "faux leather" because I've yet to meet a breeder of polyurethane cows or sheep!]

Anyhoo, in this case the buyer is absolutely right and entitled to a refund.  It was not their responsibility to second-guess the seller.  They have not made an assumption.  Their decision to purchase was based on the information provided which was erroneous.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

the_dutchess_of_dork wrote: It is also irritating when titles state "leather" but descriptions state PU or faux leather.  [BTW, IMO there is no such thing as "faux leather" because I've yet to meet a breeder of polyurethane cows or sheep!]O

I know but "faux leather" is a genuine term - many old books have such covering.    I don't think we can stop the use.    As long as the seller lists it correctly.

Faux leather is one of several names given to artificial or synthetic leather. These names are often used to describe specific end uses of synthetic leather products such as faux leather (sofa, chair and headboard upholstery), leatherette (auto upholstery, clothing), and koskin (consumer goods). There are two primary types of faux leather construction: polyurethane (“PU”), and polyvinyl chloride (PVC – “Vinyl”).

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

The only way I can see cotton polyester as being "woolly" is if it it's fuzzy from pilling.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply