Selling items from a smokers house?

Hi all,

Not found any rules on Ebay about this, is there any rule saying you must state an item your selling has come from house where there is a smoker? Like a wooden furnture peice, stand, even though item has been fully cleaned up.

Just wondering, maybe similar to people who have wood fires on in winter., well kind of.

Thanks'

Phil

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Not that I know of

Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

I don't know but if the item has a smell then that should be mentioned in the description.

Remember buyers are choosing to buy an item based on a written description and photos so things such as smell has to be mentioned or you could have problems with buyers wanting a refund or leaving negative feedback.

If you mention it has a smoky smell then the buyers really can't complain.

Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

No there isn't or they'd have to include smells like stinky perfume,beer,pets etc

Its up to the seller IF they wish to put anything in their listings & up to a buyer to ask if something in particular bothers them.

Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

If you smoke menthol - it will have a nice minty freshness

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

When you create a listing you are told the seller is responsible for their listings so if the item has the stench of smoke then it should be mentioned.

There is nothing worse than opening a package and being knock over by that stench.

A buyer should not have to ask questions of the seller to know if their items stink of smoke.

As smokers would not even smell it them self as they smell the same and would say no.

There was a listing stating no pets or smokers in the house and there was a cat in the corner of the photo. Some seller do lie or leave out info to make a sale.

If you neglect to mention anything that should be listed in the listing then you run the risk of not as described problems and neg feedback.

Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

I make a note that my household is a smoking one. I do try to minimise the chance of 'contamination', but I have no idea how successful that is because I smoke.

I see the cat has found a new toy.

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

I once sold a film camera that smelt of cigarettes.  I had a lower price on the camera because of the smell.  I had in the description that non-smokers should take this into account and that smokers probably wouldn't notice the smell.

Anyway, the camera sold 5 minutes after it was listed, but mainly because of the cheaper price.

I think that if you sell something and say it is is 'very good condition' and not mention a cigarette smell then some would say the description is misleading through omission of information that a reasonable buyer would consider should be disclosed.

Hi Dave - Yup - and I am loving IT

It  is so cool - Oh back on topic - Smoking is bad for you

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

It  is so cool - Oh back on topic - Smoking is bad for you

So is life - it's fatal.

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply