Selling items from a smokers house?

Hi all,

Not found any rules on Ebay about this, is there any rule saying you must state an item your selling has come from house where there is a smoker? Like a wooden furnture peice, stand, even though item has been fully cleaned up.

Just wondering, maybe similar to people who have wood fires on in winter., well kind of.

Thanks'

Phil

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

MB, I bought twice from you over a year ago, neither times did I get even a whiff of smoke.

Message 41 of 68
Latest reply

Case proven. It's all in the mind of the buyer

Message 42 of 68
Latest reply

Considering these were handmade items that would have taken a while to make as opposed to just grabbing somethig off a shelf and shoving it in a satchel.

I detest the smell of ciggie smoke, I cannot bear it when walking along and find I have a smoker in front of me with the smoke wafting back, it literally takes my breath away.

I have been on Ebay around 9 years, I have another account for buying,  bought hundreds of items, and have never had anything arrive stinking.  Seeing as I used to buy loads of clothes, I think I have had a very good run.  If smoke is going to attach itself to anything, then material would be a main one.  Oh, and Motherbears items are mostly material.

Message 43 of 68
Latest reply

Oh yeah, my mail contractor, wonderful guy, smokes in his van.  Over the last couple of years I have noticed the odd ciggie butt between my driveway and front door and got a bit creeped out wondering if people have been sneaking around the place at night dropping their butts.  Then, just recently I spotted my contractor flicking his butt out the window as soon as he pulled up outside, then grabbed my parcel and brought it up. 

He is a truly top guy, so I never mentioned to him about the butts, but I now know not to be paranoid about peeps outside in the middle of the night!

So, what I meant to say was as I purchase a lot, he delivers a lot, yet I have never noted any parcels stinking of smoke either from being in a smokers van.  I HAVE noticed he stinks of smoke himself.

Message 44 of 68
Latest reply

Message 45 of 68
Latest reply

I LOATHE alcohol. I think it's the root of all evil, so should I expect sellers to mention if there is alcohol in their homes, in case I can smell it? The next purchase I make could come from an alcoholic after all. I'd hate for them to breathe all over my order!

Don't buy from me then. The more time I spend on ebay, the more I drink 😄

Message 46 of 68
Latest reply

"Should sellers also mention if they use particular perfume?

What about certain air fresheners in their home?

Particular washing liquids and/or fabric softeners?

Maybe incense?

Certain cleaning products?

LOTS of things can cause allergies, not only smoking.

Buyers who buy on eBay, sight unseen will always find something to complain about. If it isn't the smokers, it will be something else.

Get over it."

I cook a lot of curries!

OH NOOOOOSSSS!!!!

Message 47 of 68
Latest reply

Once upon a time I bought some lovely wineglasses from eBay, and when they came the smell was astounding!

Not the glasses themselves, which had been lovingly polished and wrapped in tissue, but the bubble wrap , which stank to high heaven of cigarette smoke!

I left good feedback, and binned the bubble wrap- contrary to my usual practice- in the garbage bin.

I'm sure the seller had no idea, I now regret not having told her.

Clothes can be washed, but books can be a problem, and I would never again knowingly buy a smoker's car.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do."

Goethe

Message 48 of 68
Latest reply

Again Motherbear please accept my apology for misreading your post last night and making it personal.

Message 49 of 68
Latest reply

Anyone ever considered, that to a smoker, it may never have occurred to them that their habit does impregnate such items with the smell? After all, they'd not be able to smell it themselves, and what doesn't appear to them as unusual, they wouldn't feel the need to highlight.

So really, this is a good point to bring up. Same can be said (as was above) households with pets. Traces of cat hair might be stuck in or to an item going to a severe animal allergy home.

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 50 of 68
Latest reply