Shipping cost and charges. What is the difference?

Hi All

I'm based in Australia and looking for a good calculator to make selling easier.  I don't have a store. 

I found this one online which was possibly developed in the USA.

https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/australia-ebay-calculator/

I'm not clear what the exact difference between the 'shipping charge' and 'shipping cost' is.  

If someone can explain using an example that would help. 

thanks

Andrew

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Shipping cost and charges. What is the difference?

I will be happy to check it… not right now as I’m enjoying the coronation via Deutsche Welle news on YouTube!

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I would suggest, as a book seller myself, that you set your prices against the prices other book sellers are charging, including postage.

Unless they are rare copies of 1st edition Hardcovers, you will not get what you think they are worth if everybody else is selling for less. And you will get more than you think they are worth if everybody is selling for more. There are a few outliers, both low and high. I aim to be the third lowest Australian seller of a book in similar condition. I've sold a tad over 7.5k in 14 years, so it works for me.

I don't try to calculate what fees I will pay on each book, it's only relevant when they sell. I don't sell Internationally, but if I did, I would factor a bit in to cover extra fees on postage and a bit more for exchange rate variations.

For domestic, eBay charges approximately 13.4% of the total transaction. There are ways to reduce postage - using eBay labels is rarely one of them.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Why?

Watch the coronation of a Pom, I mean, not what channel you are using.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@cam-2793 wrote
 so sold price+ shipping cost - ( ebay fees + shipping charge + item cost) ≥ 0.00. Unless you want to run at a loss.

Should be sold price+ shipping charge  - ( ebay fees + shipping cost + item cost) ≥ 0.00.

The spreadsheet looks ok. I'm not sure how to factor in exchange rate as it is constantly changing. Do eBay charge to exchange currency for you or is that the international fee?

Remember that eBay given data to ATO as well so if eBay income is above a certain amount and no longer qualifies as hobby, you will need to declare on you income tax return.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Some people like the "pomp and pageantry", even diehard republicans. Nick Cave will be there and he was always an antimonarch, until he met the Queen.

Mum and I are bemoaning the fact that there is nothing else on! But we are having quiche for dinner.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Why?

Watch the coronation of a Pom, I mean, not what channel you are using.

It’s a beautiful spectacle; I thoroughly enjoy the pageantry; gorgeous music; elegant horses; red and gold all over the place; historically significant — I find it fascinating.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@cam-2793 wrote:

Some people like the "pomp and pageantry", even diehard republicans. Nick Cave will be there and he was always an antimonarch, until he met the Queen.

Mum and I are bemoaning the fact that there is nothing else on! But we are having quiche for dinner.

I bluddy love a quiche! I'd love the recipe if it's home made.

And yes, there was nothing else on, unless you like the constant reruns of Big Bang Theory! 

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply