Shipping cost and charges. What is the difference?

Hi All

I'm based in Australia and looking for a good calculator to make selling easier.  I don't have a store. 

I found this one online which was possibly developed in the USA.

https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/australia-ebay-calculator/

I'm not clear what the exact difference between the 'shipping charge' and 'shipping cost' is.  

If someone can explain using an example that would help. 

thanks

Andrew

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

wow, that's an old link.....paypal only exists for buyers now.

Have you read the new T&Cs (Managed Payments etc)?

What sort of items are you going to sell?

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Andrew, rather than relying on such an outdated calculator, can you set up the appropriate equations in Excel? That way, you can customise it to your specific situation and even specific listings.

Use the information from https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-without-ebay-store?id=4822 to work out the fees; decide whether you’re going to use AP MyPost (and find out on what tier you’ll be, as that affects your discounts) or whether you’ll be using eBay labels (which I understand is not going to give you any postage discount) or Sendle (but read on these boards about what many eBayets think about that).

Work out what you’ll actually be charging for postage, and bear in mind you will be charged fees on the total transaction amount (including postage amount that the buyer pays you).

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks for getting back.  I didn’t realise that was an outdated calculator.  I’m just a regular seller, I don’t run a business as I sell only now an again. I have quite a few books I purchased over the years I’d like to now sell. 

Are you aware of an existing spreadsheet? Possibly someone has already prepared one in excel or Google Sheets. ? If not I’ll draft one but not sure where to post best for feedback.  Your thoughts? I’d like a way to calculate how much to list something to cover fees if I post in Australia and overseas.  

thx 

Andrew

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Managed Payments is for every seller, and came in over three years ago for ever seller

And a lot of things have changed since 'PayPal' days

You really need to make sure you have signed up to, and been fully verified for Managed Payments, and read the up to date info for sellers (including still having to post things while your funds are on hold for 30 days)  before you worry about listing anything

It is really important you do all that before listing one single thing

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Hi.  I’ve been verified and have completed one sale using managed payments. 

From other replies I now know not to use that calculator link, however Im still unclear why there were separate fields for charges and costs. Was this something to do with PayPal? Are you able to clarify when there were two seperate fields?

thx

Andrew

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I’m not aware of one. I’m not an eBay seller so I’ve not created one myself… but I might whip up something if you can’t find one or create it yourself. 

Begire you even think about listing, please make yourself very familiar with the Registering as a Seller help page. Significant changes have taken place with eBay for sellers in the last few years, as twyngwyn has posted.

It’s all Managed Payments now. You must be double-verified:

a) your bank account must be verified (either logging in to bank account for verification OR the micro deposit method); and

b) you must verify your identity by providing ID (passport or driver licence are by far the easiest to provide).

Be prepared for at least a 21-day hold on your funds as a new seller. eBay consider all sellers who haven’t sold consistently or recently to be “new”. It could take about 20 sales to get past that, and a seller who isn’t selling regularly would run the risk of slipping back to new seller status.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

shipping charge might refer to actual charges.....shipping cost might include packing & handling charges....sorry it's too old......I have forgotten.

I sell books and choose to use A.P. prepaid satchels......others may differ

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

The shipping charge is what you asked the buyer to pay towards shipping. The shipping cost is what you paid for it. The item cost is how much it costs you and the sold price is how much you charge the buyer. Ebay fees are a percentage of sold price + shipping charge. That page would hopefully give you a figure for profit. So sold price+ shipping cost - ( ebay fees + shipping charge + item cost) ≥ 0.00. Unless you want to run at a loss.

Bear in mind the shipping costs need to take into account the packaging as well as carrier charges.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Hi again.  I’ve been double verified and have sold one item under this new model. 

Below is a link to a draft google spreadsheet for your feedback. Calculations are based on a book I recently sold for $40 (Col B) to a US buyer. I only netted $29.83 (Col N) after all fees/charges and factoring in the currency exchange rate which I haven’t included here.  Not sure how to easily include the exchange rate formula given it is always changing so a figure near enough is fine for me. 

I’ve created this spreadsheet so I can estimate how much to sell a book for and get a sense of the final credit to my account after ALL fees, costs and charges. 

Please let me know if I have not included any important calculations. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cmARO1ndtkJnT1oEpC4O_88Eyj-OHA_-xgfJzBWkSoo/edit

Thanks

Andrew

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply