So Much For "3 Strikes and You're Out"

Sold an item, heard nothing from the buyer, no response to emails, so have opened a dispute. 

Checked out her feedback and woah....

9 NON PAYING PURCHASES

Mine will make number 10 and i bet eBay do jack sh!t!!!

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

When you do strikes for unpaids, you cannot leave feedback.

SO, those sellers should have done unpaid cases to give strikes rather than leaving feedback.

And it's 2 or more strikes.

Sellers fault, not eBay.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The three strikes and you are out is a myth....it has never been in force.

And if the sellers have left false positive feedback it means they did not give strikes anyway or they could not leave any feedback.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I think you can leave a strike for a non paying buyer and get fees refunded, and also leave feedback, unless ebay have changed it recently?

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

If the buyer gets a strike then neither the buyer nor the seller can leave feedback.

If it has been left before the strike is issued then ebay will remove it...if they miss it you can ask for it to be removed.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

so have opened a dispute. 

Make sure you close it 4 days later. That will ensure a strike is placed on the buyer's account.

image host
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@designers*n*morewrote:

Sold an item, heard nothing from the buyer, no response to emails, so have opened a dispute. 

Checked out her feedback and woah....

9 NON PAYING PURCHASES

Mine will make number 10 and i bet eBay do jack sh!t!!!

As the others have said, no use giving a false positive feedback to the buyer. That just boosts their score & does nothing to stop them.

Opening a dispute, as you have done, is the best way to go.

But the 3 strikes & you're out doesn't seem to apply. Apparently it never did although i remember hearing about it about a decade or so ago too. Where the rumour came from, I don't know.

If a buyer gets 2 strikes in  the year or 6 months or whatever, I know it can restrict their buying with some sellers who have blocks in place. That's only some sellers though, it's not everyone by any means. So strikes might restrict such a buyer but it won't stop them. 

From what i can gather, 2 strikes certainly doesn't mean they will get kicked off ebay. I have seen several pictures like yours, where some bidders seem to have about 30 comments about non payment. If they have that many from some sellers, you'd think there must be a few other sellers who carried through with disputes instead, but those buyers don't seem to have their accounts closed. Quite the contrary.

My guess is it is about money.  If a person regularly commits to buy, ebay is getting instant commission. If a buyer doesn't pay, a seller can apply to get that refunded but that's the catch, isn't it. There are quite a few sellers out there who won't bother with that, especially if it isn't for a great amount. They'll see it as too much bother to work out for just a small sum.

I'm guessing ebay rakes in extra millions that way every year.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Buyers with strikes are only stopped from buying if a seller has automated blocking set up.  From memory I think you can choose  how many strikes in a specific period  a buyer has accrued, before your block takes effect.   It does work, had a member contact me last night, wanting to know why they could not buy an item.  They included a copy of ebay error message, which included

"3 Non Payment Strikes in 12 months"   Still wanted to buy, but got told to politely bugger off,  cant see the point in having blocks

in place, if you are going to override them for a buck, every time a poor bugger me comes a long.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05wrote:

Buyers with strikes are only stopped from buying if a seller has automated blocking set up.  From memory I think you can choose  how many strikes in a specific period  a buyer has accrued, before your block takes effect.   It does work, had a member contact me last night, wanting to know why they could not buy an item.  They included a copy of ebay error message, which included

"3 Non Payment Strikes in 12 months"   Still wanted to buy, but got told to politely bugger off,  cant see the point in having blocks

in place, if you are going to override them for a buck, every time a poor bugger me comes a long.

gutterpunkz, I'm horribly curious about how you phrased it politely...?

"Dear [buyer], as per our policies and guidelines, you are henceforth requested not to attempt further communication with us. We wish you better fortune in your buying career." ...? or "Dear [buyer], we were incredibly flattered by your wish to purchase from us. Unfortunately, you have not been granted access to our select buying membership. Your application to be admitted may be lodged with us, together with payment of $1001.99 non-refundable membership application fee..." or "Dear [buyer], your name is permanently upon our records as an offender under Section 99B, para 2, and as such, we courteously decline to enter into any further correspondence with you..." or "Dear [buyer], with all due politeness, depart ye hence. Best regards..." ...?

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

@countessalmirenawrote:

@gutterpunkz05wrote:

gutterpunkz, I'm horribly curious about how you phrased it politely...?

"Dear [buyer], as per our policies and guidelines, you are henceforth requested not to attempt further communication with us. We wish you better fortune in your buying career." ...? or "Dear [buyer], we were incredibly flattered by your wish to purchase from us. Unfortunately, you have not been granted access to our select buying membership. Your application to be admitted may be lodged with us, together with payment of $1001.99 non-refundable membership application fee..." or "Dear [buyer], your name is permanently upon our records as an offender under Section 99B, para 2, and as such, we courteously decline to enter into any further correspondence with you..." or "Dear [buyer], with all due politeness, depart ye hence. Best regards..." ...?

No, I dont like wasting words on people who are unlikely to comprehend my meaning.   First reply simply explained that they

obviously had 3 strikes for non payments and were therefore blocked from buying my items.   2nd reply was even shorter

Not while your account is blocked.  They have not asked again so I presume they now comprehend.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply