Sold Item Lost in Transit

Hi there, I've recently sold an item that may be lost in transit. My listing specifically states that if a buyer wants to ensure that they receive compensation for any lost or damaged parcels due to transit, they can take out insurance when selecting a postage option. As this is the case, will I need to refund or make good if the parcel is actually lost in transit? Besides out of good will? Kind regards, Peony Rouge.
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Sold Item Lost in Transit

With the tracking number saying delivered, is that good enough proof of delivery under the new MBG, or does the OP need to go to the buyers house and actually take a photo of them holding their parcel as proof that it's been delivered?

Tracking number showing delivery is proof of delivery - unless there is something strange showing in the tracking such as a parcel being delivered to WA when it was addressed to a Victorian address.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

So I'll only need to provide compensation if I can't prove delivery. But if I can, wouldn't that be a reason for the buyer to want to pay extra for insurance to ensure their parcel is delivered safely?

Thanks.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

Hi Helen,

I started this thread before the parcel was marked as delivered.

But I'd like to know the answer anyhow for future reference.

Thanks.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

A buyer does not need to pay extra for insurance as they are covered by ebay and Paypal, if you want to cover yourself then it is up to you to take out extra cover and either include it in the total postage cost or pay for it yourself.

I only purchase extra cover for items over $50, for everything else I allocate a few cents from each sale to a 'slush fund' which is enough to cover the cost of a couple of refunds or replacements for an item that goes missing without sufficient proof of delivery. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

If the buyer uses an eligible payment method they would still be covered by the ebay money back guarantee if they claim INR even if the parcel shows delivered. How they can prove that would be between ebay and the buyer.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

A buyer does not need to pay extra for insurance as they are covered by ebay and Paypal, if you want to cover yourself then it is up to you to take out extra cover and either include it in the total postage cost or pay for it yourself.

I only purchase extra cover for items over $50, for everything else I allocate a few cents from each sale to a 'slush fund' which is enough to cover the cost of a couple of refunds or replacements for an item that goes missing without sufficient proof of delivery. 

Get with the program - paypal no longer offers buyer protection for goods scanned as lodged where addressee proof can be demonstrated..

Paypal has not provided buyer protection in this situation for some time now.

You post is a bit rich, given you consistently criticise other posters including newbies for not being familar with purchase and selling policies, paypal and eBay announcements, and reading the terms and conditions of paypal and eBay. 

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

@cattychu wrote:

So I'll only need to provide compensation if I can't prove delivery. But if I can, wouldn't that be a reason for the buyer to want to pay extra for insurance to ensure their parcel is delivered safely?

Thanks.

Yes, that is definitely a reason for a buyer to choose registered or signature on delivery. It gets easy sometimes to only think about this scenario in terms of which service qualifies for what etc as far as eBay / PayPal is concerned, but that neglects to take into account registered post was introduced in the late 1800's, looooooooong before PayPal and eBay, let alone buyer and seller protection, were ever conceived. 

It still has a purpose outside of making sure someone's money is/isn't protected, and although these days the people who will choose to pay the extra to help protect their item from certain situations are few and far between, you will find that there are some, still  (there is, of course, something to be said for considering this scenario in purely practical terms, and in the context of what's most likely, but it's not all there is to it)

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

A buyer does not need to pay extra for insurance as they are covered by ebay and Paypal, if you want to cover yourself then it is up to you to take out extra cover and either include it in the total postage cost or pay for it yourself

You may also want to take into consideration this exclusion provision as contained in the Guarantee - “If (we are) asked to step in and help, we review the information provided by the buyer and seller for evidence of successful on-time delivery to the buyer's address. We require proof of signature to confirm delivery for items with a total cost of $750 or more” and “If we determine that the item wasn't successfully delivered, we refund the full cost of the item and original postage via PayPal or as otherwise agreed.

That is the wording makes it clear that, for the purposes of Guarantee, payments under the Guarantee are limited to claims where the evidence is “the item wasn't successfully delivered, which in turn means there may well be instances where, though the item wasn’t received, it was still successfully delivered, and in those cases no refund is payable.

So how can an item be found to have been successfully delivered and yet still not received – dial back a few years to the time PayPal first introduced Buyer Protection, a time when I amongst others’ successfully argued deemed delivery defines the meaning of the words delivered/delivery for the purposes for that agreement – and it would appear, history is about to repeat itself.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

at the end of the day paypal refunds the total amount.

Should we just refund after receiving a not received message and then leave a follow up comment - lost in the post, fully refunded?

If not to prevent a dodgy buyer from doing it again, it will highlight previous history for future sellers to reference if it happens to them.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Also put the buyer userID in the FB comment too so the rest of us can see who it is.

Remember ebay hides the buyer IDs from everyone but the original seller.

So...

UserID -  claimed lost in the post, fully refunded?

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply