Sold car and the buyer paid but still hasn't collected the car

woodsy799
Community Member

Hi Everyone, just wanting to get some advice on my car. I sold it on ebay March 29th for $810 and the buyer paid. He was making contact with me all the time in the beginning and then the communication stopped. The car needs to be towed as it isnt registered and the buyer was fully aware of this. The problem i have is that the car is sitting in my drive way and there is no car space for my new car. If i put the other one out on the street it will be towed away. He has all of my contact details but i never got his. Not sure what i should do with the car i have tried many times to contact the buyer but still no response.

Message 1 of 76
Latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Go into paypal and click on past payments received and the buyers details should come up so then click on that payment and you should see all their details including the email address

Message 51 of 76
Latest reply

woodsy799
Community Member

The plates on the car were transferred into my sisters name after it had become unregistered for one week. The new car came with its own plates

Message 52 of 76
Latest reply

woodsy799
Community Member

Thanks i have his email address and home address. i will try to contact him again 

Message 53 of 76
Latest reply

If you are up to it just call up a wrecking yard and ask them to come and collect the car they might even give you some money for it because as time goes by without a peep from the buyer then the buyer won't have a leg to stand on legally regarding this purchase,then at least the car will be out of your way.

Message 54 of 76
Latest reply

Not smart to drive an unregistered vehicle anytime in Victoria,what with number plate recognition cameras and a hefty approx $ 750 fine.

Police set them up in front of my house often and get plenty of customers...

(including mechanics on test drives!)

----------------------------------------------------------
Started out with nothing...still got most of it.
Message 55 of 76
Latest reply

Woodsy, I don't know if it happens in your state, but here in W.A. the Fire Service will pick up old cars to use as practice for their firemen for their Jaws of Life etc.

They won't pay you for the car, but at least you know that it may save someones life in the future......;-)

Padi.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 56 of 76
Latest reply

In most states (VIC & NSW both have) you can get a permit to drive an unregistered car, it lasts for 28 days. There are some restrictions, such as only during daylight hours.

Barrie

Message 57 of 76
Latest reply

Just be care full, In this state once you have legally sold a car to someone they own it and you can not dispose of it unless you have there permission , If you can not contact them you will need to contact the relevant authorities and they will give you the paper work on disposing of the vehicle legally which includes advertising in a major paper stating the owner has a certain period in which to make arrangements or the vehicle will be disposed of.

I know this from a client leaving a car in my workshop for 2and a half years with no contact. Turned out he was in jail and just turned up out the blue to pick it up 2 and a half years later.

Man was that a pain in the ass, He was so lucky I had just completed the paper work and was about to make the add, in 7 more days it would have been gone. 

Message 58 of 76
Latest reply

Thats exactly why refunding the $$ asap is important.

Message 59 of 76
Latest reply

Yep,I posted that yesterday,seen it happen before,when people vanish like that,sometimes they are taking an enforced holiday!

Started out with nothing...still got most of it.
Message 60 of 76
Latest reply