Stupid offers.

Why do some buyers on Ebay send ridiculous low offers that are never going to be accepted.

You wouldn't go to a retail store and offer them a third of their advertised price and expect a positive outcome, so why on Ebay?

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Stupid offers.

Well I for one am laughing at a few regulars responding to this (relatively) new posters posts.

How funny (and predictable) you all are ....as I am too Cat LOLCat LOL

Message 51 of 66
Latest reply

I  know I cant spell but read my post and it states ,try and read ,it says while things are quiet on ebay its great to hsve a few laughs from your posts  it makes my day [keep up the good posts ,in so much words]  have a laugh sometimes lyn ,you too could be happy like me all the time mmmmmm

Message 52 of 66
Latest reply

You would do better in life if you switched off your brain and accepted and rolled with the rythym why all you people complain about people haggling is beyond me its actually natural for people to haggle its a skill, who cares about all the charges, way i see it whatever is sold for whatever price its still turnover of goods you want to have good turnover so get off your high horse and you dont haggle with whoever you bought the item off is that what your saying again switch off your brain get off your high horse
Message 53 of 66
Latest reply

Seems you did not realise this thread is nearly TWO YEARS OLD (Boy, time has gone so quickly). I am sure noe-one is interested enough to revive it since it has not been posted to in nearly TWO YEARS. Please post to current threads. May I suggest that you are not so rude to sellers who have to make a profit when you reply to current threads.

Latest reply

@extraterrestial.2016-5 wrote:
You would do better in life if you switched off your brain and accepted and rolled with the rythym why all you people complain about people haggling is beyond me its actually natural for people to haggle its a skill, who cares about all the charges, way i see it whatever is sold for whatever price its still turnover of goods you want to have good turnover so get off your high horse and you dont haggle with whoever you bought the item off is that what your saying again switch off your brain get off your high horse

An old thread, but the problem is still the same.

extraterretial.2016-5..........I take it you dont run any sort of business yourself.     The only reason turnover matters at all on ebay is because sell through rate affects search standing with cassini. If a seller sells unique items that are not available anywhere else, that is not such a big problem.  Other than this little ebay perculiarity, turnover or selling stock at any price is a fast road to going broke.

What matters is profit margin. It is much more profitable to sell one item with 50% mark up than 5 items with 10% mark up. The reason, each item needs to be sourced, transported, stored, handled and packed. It costs less to store and handle one item than five. Each sale has a risk factor with returns for INAD or damaged in transit to the buyer. Again this cost is less for one item than five.

The real way to make profit on ebay is to charge the highest price the market will bare which may mean 400%-500% profit margins and hold out for the buyer who is willing to pay this. Sure you sell less items, but the profit on each one that does sell is so much higher that it doesnt matter and you have more time to do things other than packing and posting.

The best advice is to put idiots who make silly offers straight on the blocked buyer list as they are nothing but trouble from start to finish.

Message 55 of 66
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

An old thread, but the problem is still the same.

extraterretial.2016-5..........I take it you dont run any sort of business yourself.     The only reason turnover matters at all on ebay is because sell through rate affects search standing with cassini. If a seller sells unique items that are not available anywhere else, that is not such a big problem.  Other than this little ebay perculiarity, turnover or selling stock at any price is a fast road to going broke.

What matters is profit margin. It is much more profitable to sell one item with 50% mark up than 5 items with 10% mark up. The reason, each item needs to be sourced, transported, stored, handled and packed. It costs less to store and handle one item than five. Each sale has a risk factor with returns for INAD or damaged in transit to the buyer. Again this cost is less for one item than five.

The real way to make profit on ebay is to charge the highest price the market will bare which may mean 400%-500% profit margins and hold out for the buyer who is willing to pay this. Sure you sell less items, but the profit on each one that does sell is so much higher that it doesnt matter and you have more time to do things other than packing and posting.

The best advice is to put idiots who make silly offers straight on the blocked buyer list as they are nothing but trouble from start to finish.

Of course they don't have a business themselves.  You have to have your brain switched on to run a business and they obviously don't have theirs switched on!

The problem with blocking people who make ridiculous offers is that they're just as likely to buy on another ID.  I don't have offers enabled on any listings but I still occasionally get stupid rude offers on my main ID.  People asking for discounts is something that rarely used to happen but I seem to be copping a lot more of those these days.

Message 56 of 66
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

I understand where you are coming from as I have in the past had my share of stupid offers made to me on gumtree and they can be extremely annoying.

However, on both gumtree & ebay it is now possible to set a minimum offer amount, with auto knockbacks for those below it.

I haven't sold on ebay with "Make and offer' but if I did. I don't know that i would block those who made low offers.

I would just set my limits in place.

Ebay & Make an offer can be a bit of a learning experience for those who are fairly new. I would say some newbies are just experimenting to see how low they can get it.

By all means let them try out with eg an offer of 40%.

If they get an automatic rebuff the message is clear-that amount won't cut it.

If they keep making low offers, after three tries they will be out.

They will soon learn that they need to make more realistic offers and if they don't-well, they won't be able to buy from you & you won't even have to deal with low offers, not if you have auto knockback in place.

Message 57 of 66
Latest reply

I dont have best offer on any of my listings and many listings have " all prices firm" written in the listing, but I still get a number of offers each week. Occasionally I will accept if the offer is reasonable and things are a bit slow, or the item has sat around for awhile, but I get a bit annoyed at people who offer less than half price for an item without the best offer option. To me that just seems a bit rude.

Ebay is a tough enough gig as it is, without having to deal with numbats like that. Life is too short to waste any time on those idiots.

Message 58 of 66
Latest reply

Heck, that's a very long sentence, of which most made no sense. At least you started with a capital letter, that's something.

I wouldn't say it's natural for people to haggle......unless you've spent a lot of time haggling at street stalls in Asian countries. I don't think I've ever haggled with anyone over the price of an item.

So you're saying I should sell my items at a loss, just so they turn over and I have to get off my high horse to lose this money? Please explain.

Message 59 of 66
Latest reply

Love offers.   Love a market place that encourages bartering to set the market price - particularly in second hand markets.

Low offers that I have accepted have come at times when a boost in cashflow has been very much needed.

Accepted an offer last week that was $100 (more than 30%) under asking on one ID.  Still made a very nice profit indeed Cat Happy

Of course I decline silly billy low offers, but I don't take it personally. Takes but a minute to cut and paste a standard response and press send.

Message 60 of 66
Latest reply