Throttling sucks

I normally sell 15-20 items a week (Under a different account name) but the last 2 weeks has been woeful. Last week I actually sold more items over on the other site (QS) than I did on Ebay. Thats a first.

Can someone please tell me why ebay uses throttling - I just cant get my head around the logic of costing themselves the fees from sales that 'could have been' 

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Throttling sucks

you could try signing out of ebay, then come back in (without signing in) & search different methods to see what you get
Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

so clever - didn't think of that ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

tried it...same same

their item that is the same as ours appears before ours does and ours I made 5cents cheaper to prove a point ages ago

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

are they running auctions?
Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

buy it now

100% feedback

and as far as I am concerned would consider that I am not in the sin bin

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

@jambarley wrote:

Can I assume we are not affected if the buyer searches in a more specific nature...

for example 'lowest price' or 'nearest first'

or will I be dissapointed again....

If the buyer uses "lowest price first" then you will show up first if your prices are the lowest.

I always search for price + postage--lowest first.  That way you get the lowest price first whether you have postage added or free postage.

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

@jambarley wrote:

Can I assume we are not affected if the buyer searches in a more specific nature...

Sorry, but I suspect you will be disapointed again. I doubt that it even makes any difference if you are the only one on ebay selling a particular item. The sales cap seems to be based more on sharing sales between sellers in a particular catagory, rather than item specific. I have given up trying to fight it or change it. I just list a few new items now and again and accept that I cant increase sales above a certain level.

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@jambarley wrote:

If the buyer uses "lowest price first" then you will show up first if your prices are the lowest.

I always search for price + postage--lowest first.  That way you get the lowest price first whether you have postage added or free postage.

Thats if your item shows up at all. Ebay inserted a clause in their seller terms and conditions a couple of years ago which clearly states that a sellers item may not always appear in searches, even if buyer matches your item title.

As for signing out and searching for your item, I suspect ebay have got that covered too. Searches made from an ip address in your state are claimed to sometimes give different results to searches from ip addresses in different states. 

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@jambarley wrote:

Thats if your item shows up at all. Ebay inserted a clause in their seller terms and conditions a couple of years ago which clearly states that a sellers item may not always appear in searches, even if buyer matches your item title.

As for signing out and searching for your item, I suspect ebay have got that covered too. Searches made from an ip address in your state are claimed to sometimes give different results to searches from ip addresses in different states. 

They know your IP address, the Mac numbers of the devices you are using and unless you clear cookies and cache they also know exactly who you are straight away.

The only way you can be sure of being anonymous is to use a VPN exiting in Australia while using a device that has never been in contact with ebay using your user details or IP address.

Even then, you won't know if you are checking at the right time as it appears visibility is a constantly changing parameter.

Best bet would be to get a friend or family member do the checks for you or maybe let you ue their devices from their address.

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

An old thread, I know, but I've just happened onto it and was educated some more.

We sell Tobacco Pipes, New and estate. Always in our listing header description we use the words Tobacco Pipe, or Tobacco Smoking Pipes. We've done enough research to know that is what people will use in a search.

After reading this topic I did some searches and couldn't believe that firstly we had just two items show up after a gazillion pages, but even worse was all this cheap Chinese junk, before our items, not Tobacco Pipes, but very loosely related to Tobacco Pipes - pipe cleaners, pipe pouches, tobacco related products. Oh, I must admit there was Tobacco Pipes, but nuisance value cheap and useless things for $5 and the like - all Chinese and all pages before our quality and genuine Tobacco Pipes.

So obviously, anyone who is specifically looking for a Tobacco Pipe and uses those words in their search, they're going to be bombarded with all sorts of paraphernalia, not necessarily a Tobacco Pipe.

Gobsmacked - again!!

Melina.

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply