To post a small parcel is $7.95 by Australia Post you must charge $9.00 to avoid losing money on Eba

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

To post a small parcel is $7.95 by Australia Post you must charge $9.00 to avoid losing money on Eba

assuming you don't pay for any packaging needed or extras like registered post and such

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

And your question is?

You can post up to 500g using the ebay labels for $7.55. I only charge $6 postage for store items, the rest is built into the item price. I used to have free postage selected but that meant I couldn't give combined discounts.

On my other, non store id I charge $8.99 as do many other sellers because as you say you need to charge that much to cover postage, packaging and fees.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

If I have an item that is too large to fit in the 500gm ebay satchel but is under 500gm, can I put it in a 3kg satchel but send it as a small parcel (not small satchel)?

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Look into My Post Business, if you send at least 5 parcels a week anyway. I'm currently paying $7.15 per 500gm parcel (own packaging rate - flat rate price is $7.42). If you send more than 10 packages a week, the discount is a bit higher, and there's a max discount of 15%. This discount applies to extra cover as well ($1 compared to $1.50 normally, and the higher rate is charged on eBay). 

I only use eBay's postage labels for BX boxes. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@ben170292 wrote:

If I have an item that is too large to fit in the 500gm ebay satchel but is under 500gm, can I put it in a 3kg satchel but send it as a small parcel (not small satchel)?

Just turn the satchel inside out and create a label using the "own packaging" option, and enter the correct dimensions.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@ben170292 wrote:

Just turn the satchel inside out and create a label using the "own packaging" option, and enter the correct dimensions.

Thank you, I had never thought of that.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Look into My Post Business, if you send at least 5 parcels a week anyway. I'm currently paying $7.15 per 500gm parcel (own packaging rate - flat rate price is $7.42). If you send more than 10 packages a week, the discount is a bit higher, and there's a max discount of 15%. This discount applies to extra cover as well ($1 compared to $1.50 normally, and the higher rate is charged on eBay). 

Would you just use the 500gm parcel as a label for the ebay satchels or also flip them inside out?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@ben170292 wrote:

Would you just use the 500gm parcel as a label for the ebay satchels 

I have used them normally with own packaging labels without issue. Mostly, the T&Cs for flat rate services state that you can only use AP flat rate satchels or boxes with them, but (as far as I know) they don't say you can't purchase non-flat rate labels and put them on flat rate packaging. 

Still, when mixing satchel sizes etc I do turn them inside out, as I've seen AP staff tell people to use the next size up if something won't fit, even though they really shouldn't unless it would work out cheaper for some reason. (I reason that technically, once you buy the satchel it counts as your own packaging regardless, but someone might reject a 3kg satchel with a 500g label based on some notion or another, eg because they are sized, there's limitations on packages in that way, or if it's on the heavier side, they may not weigh it and presume someone was trying to sneak a larger parcel through, so it's more to just err on the side of caution and not cause any unnecessary problems). 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Hi ๐Ÿ™‚ digital*ghost.... from my investigations a 500g satchel with the MY POST BUSINESS was about $8.25 but if you purchase 100 x 500g satchels at once the price is quite a bit less than this ($7.50 ea). Am I missing something ?? is there other benefits that you get from MY POST BUSINESS? Your help is greatly appreciated - always learning!

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply