Too scared to sell

After reading so many horror stories about scammers and refunds, mBG and so much in buyers favor I just can't bring myself to list and have let the last two lots of 100 free listings go by ,as much as I'd like to.
And now the talk of so few sales is it really worth the effort?
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Too scared to sell

I sell clothes on this ID. 

I have had to deal with a handful of scammers over the years BUT this needs to put into context I have sold thousands of garments on this ID with no problems at all Cat Very Happy

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

@thecatspjs wrote:

I have had to deal with a handful of scammers over the years BUT this needs to put into context I have sold thousands of garments on this ID with no problems at all Cat Very Happy

This^^^

As long as you are not selling high end low margin items, then the odd dodgy return/claim back is small in the big scheme of $$. Its only that it bugs you.

Biggest concern is that Ebay just seem to disrespect sellers, and they can change a policy that sends all your listings invisible or so it seems. Its the feeling of not being valued for effort spent. which in turn breeds a lack or respect for Ebay.

If its a sideline great, but the sales flow is not reliable.

Defects and negs get under your skin, but they are not going to cripple you. You just need a thicker skin.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

Very true Lane you have hit the nail on the head I do need a thicker skin but very hard to change a lifetime of skin lol
I have tried to give perfect service on here and know full well that if I was shunted of like many other good sellers that I have read about on these forums through no fault of my own I know that I would be devastated.
Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

I would also like to take this time to thank all the wonderful helpful posters on this sellers board for their valued opinions .
I have been reading these threads long before I ever posted on here and many times I have been fore armed when a situation has arisen
Not to mention the ever growing bbl LOL
And thanks to the people also who put up the free listings
Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

I have yet to read about a "good" seller being shunted off eBay.

I have seen sellers go by their own choice.

I have read about sellers restricted due to too many cancellations - and I think they should be restricted if there is a pattern of cancellations in their trading activities - they do the whole trading community a disservice.

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

@lane-ends wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:

This^^^

As long as you are not selling high end low margin items, then the odd dodgy return/claim back is small in the big scheme of $$. Its only that it bugs you.

Biggest concern is that Ebay just seem to disrespect sellers, and they can change a policy that sends all your listings invisible or so it seems. Its the feeling of not being valued for effort spent. which in turn breeds a lack or respect for Ebay.

If its a sideline great, but the sales flow is not reliable.

Defects and negs get under your skin, but they are not going to cripple you. You just need a thicker skin.

Lane ends makes a good point. It helps to sell things which have a very high mark up so that you can just absorb the occasional problem. If you are working on valuable items with low profit margins it really hurts when something goes wrong as the money comes straight out of your pocket. If you sell things that give very high margins ( several hundred percent or more )  it really only costs you your postage and a small amount for the item if things go wrong.

There are things everywhere to sell with large margins if you know where to find them. It can be by purchasing direct from overseas manufacturers or distributors, buying in bulk from closing down auctions, buying in bulk from existing businesses that need to clear surplus stock ( dealing with managers through the back door, not buying off of the retail floor ) or the humble garage sale. ( Still a great place to find valuable items that no-one else notices ). The $20 car part mentioned in previous post, sold for $315 was purchased on the second day of a garage sale, an hour before the owners packed up. Hundreds of people had walked past it. 

If you can develop a broad knowledge of the value of items it helps. I regularly click on the advanced search function, top right of main search. Instead of watching telly in the evening I study "sold items" . I pick an item such as matchbooks, tins, comic books etc and see what is actually selling for good money and what is just junk.

One classic example I discovered a few weeks ago was tins. A 50 year old tea or biscuit tin might be worth $20. A two year old limited edition Anzac biscuit tin can bring $50. I went to my local op shop a couple of days later and found two for $2 each. Another example is magazines. I found one rare title online that had sold several copies for around $90. I was going through a dealers stock yesterday and picked up two copies in a bulk purchase for $1.00 each. I purchased 180 magazines from the dealer at $1.00 each as he needed the room and wanted to clean out some old stock. Many of these where rare titles or early editions and will bring $20-$30 each. A large number where new old stock that had been in storage since the 1960,s and 70,s. There is plenty of  stuff out there if you know what to look for ( in fact it seems like the country is awash with it. ) I,ve just purchased a shipping container to store it all as I am buying way more than I can physically list and sell at the moment  . .............Study, study and research, works for me......... Hope this helps some-one.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

I think I would have given up ages ago if it wasn't for these forums. Pretty much everything I know I have learned from here. I try to read every single post, even if it's of no relevance to me (like issues with stores for example) because you just never know. It's just a shame there is no way to get more buyers and seller into here, I believe there would be far less issues.

I know with things like issues with a transaction, the help pages tell you to open a dispute. There is no mention of contacting the seller first to see if they are willing to sort the issue out (which 99% will). When I send an invoice to a buyer, I usually say that if there are any issues whatsoever, please don't hesitate to contact me using the ask about using my item or contact the seller option. I think that works, because the few minor issues I've had, that's exactly what they've done.

If buyers, especially newbies, knew that the better option was to contact the seller first, then there wouldn't be anywhere near the "us and them" attitude that goes on. Of course, if the seller digs their heals in, I am all for recommending opening a dispute.

It's looking like I might have to open my first ever dispute against a seller. My husband bought a t-shirt a month or so back that was size XL and when it arrived, it would barely have fitted a 5yo. Contacted the seller, who immediately issued an apology and a full refund. She also said not to send it back (which I didn't feel right doing, but what choice did I have?).

5 days after buying the shirt, he bought some board shorts as a gift for his daughters boyfriend. They were posted from Sydney 3 weeks ago and by rights, should have taken 2 days to get here, 3 days at the absolute outside (I'm only 4 hours from Sydney CBD). They are still not here. I have sent several messages asking if she has a tracking number so I can chase it up with AP, but have had no response.

She has no active listings at the moment, so it's possible she's away for the school holidays, so will give her until next week. If I still can't get a response, then what choice do I have? I really don't want to do it as I don't want to give her a defect or anything else bad on her account, but if she won't return my messages, what else can I do?

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, if it wasn't for these forums, I would have hit the defect button the day after the delivery estimate with absolutely no regard for the seller. I am also so grateful for the knowledge of everyone here and even more grateful that they are willing to share that knowledge with complete strangers.....for no money, just from the goodness of their heart.

KUDOS to all!!!

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

Everything you say is 100% spot on. It's an eye opener watching that TV show "Extreme Collectors" to see how valuable some things are that are often passed off as junk.

My husbands boss hits the garage sales every weekend. He often rings up gloating about his latest finds. He collects Matchbox and Dinky toys and he will often get a mint in box car for $2 or $3. Ones that I've seen sell on here for quite a few hundred. Last weekend he got about 40 various Matchbox and Dinky toys, none in boxes, but most in excellent condition, for $5. He can barely use a computer, let alone know how to use eBay, but he could potentially make a small fortune if he tried to sell some of this stuff.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

Kudos to you sheep you are one of the very people I am referring to always helpful never seem to get flustered . I would have lost patience long ago
You are a credit to eBay among others if they put some of you on the payroll maybe things might run a bit smoother around here lol
Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

Too scared to sell

Yes, I know what u mean about too scared to sell.

High value, High usage, High abused products with low margins and high freight costs

are not really worth it any more. The threat of refunding used n abused products

with high freight costs being redunded as well both ways is too much risk.

I have had 3 such since november. All fixed up at my costs n still in one

of them I got a strike, as was an auto thing even tho customer very happy

n left great feedback.

I expect peeps will slowly increase prices to compensate.

Products that get cared for will still be worth while to sell.

Now have had 2 cancellations due to PO box n Northern territory,

and funny enough a customer bought  and then said sorry

accident, and he has not done the follow thru on the cancellation

so now risks a strike as unpaid item if he doesnt do his end

of the cancellation. N that was a free freight item.

A lot of silly things going on so just ride it out n c how things go

in another couple of months.

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply