Tupperware section gone..pfft

I guess I havnt sold Tupperware in a while..and the category is gone. Fools..its the Queen of plastic..!!! No bakelite section either...they have one on the USA site..anyway..just a mini rant...jilly

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Tupperware section gone..pfft

You should be fine with your microwave containers.

I don't know when Tupperware stopped including BPA. On one of their websites where they addressed a question someone asked about it, they replied that they always stuck strictly to Australian approved substances in their products, and it is not used in their current range.

That to me is hedging as BPA was not banned. I would have liked them to say when they stopped using it in their products, that would have been more relevant. I don't know, but I suspect '80s products would have it.

Most of my Tupperware is from 70s to 90s & I still use it, haven't keeled over yet.

The thermomix still uses some BPA in its top bit that sits on top of the machine. Varoma? So I guess it must still be perfectly legal, it can't be deadly or anything.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

If BPA was deadly, or just bad for you in general, the chronically outraged would have started a change.org petition calling for it to be banned. They can't help themselves. I know people who used to put Tupperware in the microwave. Probably still do. They're still kicking and haven't grown an extra head or had a limb drop off. 

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

crumbs...I am getting behind the times...still tupperware is still huge..I have to fight for it in the oppos ..:)....but thanks..things change and evolve and revolve thats for sure

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

You lot are only amateurs.....my first Tupperware which is still in use was bought when I lived in Canberra between 1967 and mid 1969 so it is 50 years old.

In all that time I have only had 2 pieces damaged.....one lid split but I have my suspicions what my youngest daughter was doing with it at the time.  And one container was damaged when my neighbour boiled some soup in it even though I had told her it was not microwave proof.   It looked like the plastic had bubbled at the level where the liquid would have been boiling.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

You lot are only amateurs.....my first Tupperware which is still in use was bought when I lived in Canberra between 1967 and mid 1969 so it is 50 years old.

In all that time I have only had 2 pieces damaged.....one lid split but I have my suspicions what my youngest daughter was doing with it at the time.  And one container was damaged when my neighbour boiled some soup in it even though I had told her it was not microwave proof.   It looked like the plastic had bubbled at the level where the liquid would have been boiling.

My mother was given some secondhand Tupperware and had heard it was extra special so she put one of the containers in a saucepan on the stove to liquefy the honey in it that had crystallized.  It was only on the cooler side of the top of a wood stove but she was still very disappointed when the plastic melted.  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

davewill, the tupperware I bought new was genuine - only tupperware party I ever went to and never again.  I've had plenty of secondhand tupperware that lasted okay.  It was only the new stuff that cracked.  I suspect there was more pressure at the corner of the square lids than on the round ones.

tippy, those of us who KNOW bpa is bad for us simply don't use anything that contains it.  I certainly know better than to bang my head against a brick wall trying to get that sort of thing changed.  I never drink water out of a plastic bottle and I only use glass or stainless steel to store any liquids or fresh food.  I never use gladwrap cancerwrap and I don't have a microwave.  I don't have a dishwasher but that's just because I can't see much point in it when I have a pair of hands that will do the job just as well.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

That's a shame. I haven't bought any online for a while but I used to love my tupperware & still love some items.

Having said that, I am not absolutely sure everything advertised from places such as Malaysia is genuine Tupperware, even though it has the logo on it.

I remember a few years back, buying a set of labels advertised on ebay as "tupperware labels" & they weren't cheap but considerably less than they can be bought here from party plan sellers. When they arrived they were an exact copy but nowhere did it say Tupperware at the top.

I also once bought a couple of containers, brand new, & they do have the imprint Tupperware & they work okay.. but are they genuine? The price makes me have some doubts.

Once upon a time the tupperware guarantee was fabulous & worth paying the extra for but not any more. You can't return them when you go to parties, full stop, you have to pay to post them back to the company, along with online paperwork, which totally negates the value of trying to replace small lids etc

And the older, genuine tupperware contains BPAs.

Tupperware moved a lot of their manufacturing to cheaper countries.  That's why you don't see any made in Australia any more.  I've bought genuine US pieces where depending on the type of piece might be made in USA or Mexico or somewhere else.

I've also bought Tupperware from Malaysia (or rather from an Oz seller who gets it from Malaysia) and it is definitely the real deal - Tupperware logo, right part numbers, same quality, perfect match to my original pieces.  It's probably where the Oz manufacturing ended up.  You know they are real Modular Mates when the seals are hell to get on and off until you've used them for a while. 😉

BTW I've got a tip for that.  Tupperware often comes in plastic bags.  Leave the bottom piece in the bag then put the seal back on over the plastic until you need to use the container. Perhaps the little bit of plastic stretches the seal or something.  All I know is it can be easier to manage the seal earlier than I expected.

Tupperware have expanded their range beyond storage and basic baking but the newer items are ridiculously expensive.  Add to that the fact that clearly Tupperware in Oz at least don't keep as much earlier pieces for replacement, have whittled down their guarantee, impose postal charges and have odd ideas on what constitutes an acceptable replacement if they don't have any spares.  It's not the company it used to be...IMO it's gone downhill.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Tupperware moved a lot of their manufacturing to cheaper countries.  That's why you don't see any made in Australia any more.  I've bought genuine US pieces where depending on the type of piece might be made in USA or Mexico or somewhere else.

I've also bought Tupperware from Malaysia (or rather from an Oz seller who gets it from Malaysia) and it is definitely the real deal - Tupperware logo, right part numbers, same quality, perfect match to my original pieces.  It's probably where the Oz manufacturing ended up.  You know they are real Modular Mates when the seals are hell to get on and off until you've used them for a while. 😉

BTW I've got a tip for that.  Tupperware often comes in plastic bags.  Leave the bottom piece in the bag then put the seal back on over the plastic until you need to use the container. Perhaps the little bit of plastic stretches the seal or something.  All I know is it can be easier to manage the seal earlier than I expected.

Tupperware have expanded their range beyond storage and basic baking but the newer items are ridiculously expensive.  Add to that the fact that clearly Tupperware in Oz at least don't keep as much earlier pieces for replacement, have whittled down their guarantee, impose postal charges and have odd ideas on what constitutes an acceptable replacement if they don't have any spares.  It's not the company it used to be...IMO it's gone downhill.

Totally agree with that. I still like the products & I think in past years especially they have been product leaders. Many times you would see a modified version of some of their products come out a few years later in the stores, maybe by decor etc

But it is the whittling down of the guarantee & the fact you can't return small damaged items easily at parties that has really caused me angst. As you said, the company isn't what it used to be.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply