Unpaid items

qball28
Community Member
Hello, I sold 4 items this week and 2 of them is unpaid ( I of them is just gone over the 4 days, and the other not very long to two days) not a very good success rate ๐Ÿ˜ข should I open a upi case, I don't want to get a negative feedback. The 4 day one said he would pay tommorrow, but I don't think so. they both have 100% feedback saying they pay quickly! which isn't true.
Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Unpaid items

I have had some very angry buyers when I have used the unpaid item process so have started to ease up on using it a bit and send more communications (written and phone) just in case the buyer is being a bit tardy/have forgotten/other mitigating factors 

I agree that it is prudent to also put information in listings about payment being due within a certain time frame and also within emails. 

Quite a few recent transactions have resulted in unpaid items and I have just closed two. 

A few months ago a buyer who sent me an abusive email for merely opening an unpaid item case and left negative feedback. As I reported in another forum, although I won the paypal case, it took about three months and many many calls and emails and escalations to have a simple ebay policy applied (removal of defect/removal of negative feedback left by buyer when paypal dispute lost by buyer!)

In relation to the most recent "unpaid item disputes" (two in total), I just received a violation from ebay. Is a negative comment confined to a comment left by way of feedback? 

Sent - 5 January 2015

MC034 Feedback policy violation: Negative Comment left for a buyer

Hello baudrillard2013,

After reviewing your eBay account, it appears that you have violated eBay's Negative Comment left for a buyer policy.
- The following Feedback comment you left has been removed:

Because sellers aren't able to leave negative Feedback for buyers, leaving a negative comment or follow-up comment with a positive Feedback rating isn't allowed.

For more information on this eBay Feedback policy, go to:
http://pages.ebay.au/help/policies/inappropriate-feedback-comments.html

To help you have successful experiences on eBay, we encourage you to become familiar with eBay Feedback policy by visiting the link above.

Thanks,

eBay

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Although we have never had this happen....

If you open the UPI case after which the buyer pays, then the case closes because they paid.

Then if they are cranky with you because you dared to open the case and leave you a retaliatory NEG how easy is this to have removed?

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

It should be EASY but it wasn't.

I provided links to the policy, referred to it, posted on this discussion forum, referred ebay to the forum post. It all took three months. '

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Seems very common at the moment.

Between myself and a couple of friends who trade here on eBay over 10 sales in the last few weeks we've had:

- 1 pay at auction end;

- 4 at five days;

- 1 at six days and;

- 2 at seven days. 

Two payments currently outstanding at 48 hours (one of whom bid 3 minutes prior to auction end).

In only one case was there any contact from the Buyer to advise the payment would be delayed (although they paid on day 7 instead of day 5 as indicated in their initial contact).

No response at all to any follow up messages sent.

I just think it's a reflection on the self-centred societal attitudes of the day to be honest. 

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Thankfully my unpaids are minimal. Most of the time I will send an invoice at the end of each day after all the auctions have finished. I mention in the invoice that if they are still watching other items, not to pay yet, but to let me know. Most that are still watching send me a message. I say that payment is required within 3 days if they have finished buying.

By day 4, if I've heard nothing, I will resend the invoice, but with a message saying that I haven't seen their payment, could they please let me know by which method they paid so I can chase it up and get their item sent to them (I got that from here, but can't remember who suggested it.....anyway, thanks! It's a non threatening reminder). If I've heard nothing by day 5, I open a dispute. Most of the time I don't hear from them and I close it 4 days later. The few that have paid have sent me a message apologising profusely and eventually left good feedback and 5 stars.

I received a message this morning from a buyer who won an item last night. She said that she went to pay and realised there wasn't enough money in any of her accounts and asked if she could cancel. I sent a reply and said if she still really wanted it, I was happy to wait until she got paid, but if she still wanted to cancel, that's OK too. I also asked that if she does opt for the cancellation, to please accept the request when she gets it. As yet, I've not heard back, but I'm guessing she's probably at work.

I thought it was great that she contacted me. She could have just ignored it hoping it would just go away like so many others do. She's a lowish feedback buyer, so if she does decide to cancel and does accept the request, I'll give her a green dot for her efforts, even though she hasn't bought anything.

The thought of a non payer eventually paying and then red dotting me for my efforts never really crossed my mind until a few people mentioned it here. I would be mortified if that happened. The fact that it can take months to have it removed is unacceptable in my eyes. 

I am also mortified that Baud copped a policy slap for the false positive. I know of quite a few sellers on here who leave false positives. Maybe that buyer knew the rules? Maybe the sellers here have just been lucky, I don't know? Maybe how the sellers here word it, it doesn't come across as a negative comment, who knows?

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I give all buyers 7 days to pay, no payment then report to redeem my fees. wait 7 days, still no payment, I block them from buying again

you must report anyone that doesn't pay. always remember you are paying fees for these purchases (sale fee+postage fee), otherwise these scam buyers will stay on ebay and keep doing it to all sellers

but unpaid items are getting beyond a joke 67% of my items are unpaid for, but thats what the one-sided feedback system created buyers getting away with it

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

67% of your sales are unpaid??? Are you serious? I'm lucky to have had 5 in nearly 500 transactions. Do you have appropriate buyer requirement blocks in place to stop serial pests? I'm not just talking about adding them to your blocked buyer list either, proper blocks that block them before they try to buy.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

I think it depends what you sell? I currently have 11 UPI in process. Smiley Sad

That's after closing three today

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply