Warning - Offers to sell outside of eBay email received

I had to end a listing for an iPhone yesterday, I damaged it. Just logged into my ebay to find I received this warning email from ebay...

We’re writing to let you know that activity on your account may not be following an important eBay policy that requires all transactions and payments to be completed on eBay. Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay aren't allowed. This includes:

- Offering or requesting contact information or links within a member-to-member message without a recent transaction
- Displaying contact information or links in a listing except as allowed in the policy or required by law

Below are the details of where the activity occurred:
142595577020 - Apple iPhone 6s - 64GB - Space Grey Smartphone A1688 Unlocked In Box

In order to protect you and your buyers if something goes wrong, transactions must be completed on eBay.  We’re invested in bringing you more buyers and helping your business grow.  We want to continue to partner with you to do that.

I haven't had my account restricted, just told to behave myself for the next 3 days. And they have stated they MAY take FVF fees from me as if the phone has actually sold!!

If I'd let the auction end & sent the winner a damaged phone or asked to cancel the transaction i'd be in the s**t,  ending it early to save myself the hassle i'm in the s**t.. Ebay are unbeleivable... Cat Frustrated

Is it worth calling CS to explain the situation, or just let it go?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Warning - Offers to sell outside of eBay email received

In my opinion it's not worth ringing as you just get the call centre company in the Phillipines, not eBay.

But I did write a very stern professional email to eBay when I received a warning earlier this year and received an apology back.

Most of eBay is automated so I find it's just better to work around the eBay computer program provided it's within the rules.

That way I don't stress about all the unnecessary changes made in eBay.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I copped a warning (under my other User ID) for providing a buyer with a pick-up address after he'd purchased the item on eBay.

I opened a Live Chat session - you get a transcript sent to you afterwards, so there's a clear record of what was said / promised by the eBay rep.

Also posted the matter on their Facebook page, and had follow-up messages from a staff member. All agreed that I'd followed procedure, and that the system had made a mistake...

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

The simplest way of getting around such an issue is to not offer pick-ups (where possible).

Seems to me that EBay are cutting their own throat with the proliferation of their idea of automation.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply