Warning - don't disclose contact partics

Admittedly I do communicate with our customers quite a bit. I really enjoy it, but now I'm getting a constant warning about disclosing contact partics, which I haven't, also explaining that eBay email is monitored and advising of the consequences should I not comply.

i hope this is just an automated eBay thingy, is it? Or am I being monitored because I'm a jawflapper?

And, good afternoon everyone Smiley Happy

Melina.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

You're right it's automated.

eBay have told us the bots are now programmed to pick up communication between members if there is no transaction.

The fact that you are a self confessed chatter-box probably doesn't help. Smiley LOLSmiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Most likely bots on autopilot. They will have been programmed to look out for certain keywords/phrases, patterns of contact etc.

If you're still concerned about it, use eBay's messaging system to send me your phone number or address, and we can correspond further on the matter 😄

Edit:  I see kopes has beaten me to it. That's what I get for eating an icecream while replying.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

@clubesquire wrote:

Admittedly I do communicate with our customers quite a bit. I really enjoy it, but now I'm getting a constant warning about disclosing contact partics, which I haven't, also explaining that eBay email is monitored and advising of the consequences should I not comply.

i hope this is just an automated eBay thingy, is it? Or am I being monitored because I'm a jawflapper?

And, good afternoon everyone Smiley Happy

Melina.

I take it you are being pinged for overly wordy answers to questions?

I've found that if your first reply makes reference to clicking on the buy button you should be pretty safe.

In particular, this should apply in all cases where the customer is enquiring about pick up.

(it's easy to give exact details without going into payment details)

I use a reply structured like this:

" Pick up is fine providing you don't find (insert Suburb only) too far away.

Just click to buy but do not pay, I will send you an invoice minus postage.

If you wish to pay cash on pickup I will mark the item as paid after you collect it."

I get quite a few pickup requests and have never had a problem doing it this way.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Oh dear! I'll have to stop chatterboxing.

Its just general talk, really. Good PR I would think. With some customers we get into all sorts of subjects, before and after a sale. I suppose it looks a bit sussy if you suffer from paranoia!!

Thanks again everyone. I'll be very careful with it just in case. Actually,  I was just thinking (it hurt Smiley Happy) while writing this and we did have a customer send us an email address a while back. We ignored it anyway and certainly didn't solicit it. I guess you can get into strife through what others unknowingly do.

Thanks heaps.

Melina.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Edit:  I see kopes has beaten me to it. That's what I get for eating an icecream while replying.

Reminds me of somethin. Smiley Happy

It means you won.

Melina, the curbing of messaging is only something relatively recent.

image host
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

LOL!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I often wonder if eBay has any humans left. The way they operate is becoming more like HAL 9000 these days!
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I got a warning last week for this as the POTENTIAL buyer wanted to come & take a look at the item prior to purchasing... I thought it was fair enough as i too would SOMETIMES like to see the item offered (depending on what it is & location etc..) that is for sale particularly if an expensive item & the seller lives not far from me etc...  POTENTIAL buyers don't seem to be allowed to do this anymore as ebay are afraid the sale will happen there & then & they won't get their % of the sale so instead buyers are forced to buy first but then if they don't really like the item once they go to pick-up or it's not really what they expected from the pics, then there's all the BS foer sellers of having to cancel the sale & re-list etc etc. It hasn't bothered me to do this in the past & yep it's happened a few times with buyers eg: had no idea what CM & MM are or didn't read properly & when they came to pick up it was smaller than they thought BUT i think buyers should be able to see before they buy if they want to. I also don't see why phone numbers can't be given to potential buyers IF the seller chooses to do so... would save a huge amount of time to be able to chat on the phone about an item than sending detailed email after email to ask & answer Q's that could be sorted in minutes over the phone. Just my opinion of course 🙂

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

If you mean either of these two warnings that appear when you reply to a message:

danger.PNG

will robinson.PNG

They appear by default, and is basically just eBay doing this...

danger!!

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply