Welp. First Negative Feedback

It was bound to happen one day, and sure enough ...

Buyer opened a case for item not received, and left feedback saying I "ripped them off". I feel that that's borderline defamatory, and I gave them an immediate refund with an apology, and an offer to re-send the item free of charge as a gesture of goodwill (it's under $10 so I don't mind). I'm guessing I have zero chance of having it removed by eBay, even though it's actually not true that I ripped them off? Can only hope for a withdrawal from the buyer?

I know it doesn't count towards anything but it stings, and I'm taking it harder than I otherwise would as it's been a rough month.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@everard6920 wrote:

Buyer opened a case for item not received, and left feedback saying I "ripped them off". I feel that that's borderline defamatory, and I gave them an immediate refund with an apology, and an offer to re-send the item free of charge as a gesture of goodwill (it's under $10 so I don't mind). I'm guessing I have zero chance of having it removed by eBay, even though it's actually not true that I ripped them off? Can only hope for a withdrawal from the buyer?

I know it doesn't count towards anything but it stings, and I'm taking it harder than I otherwise would as it's been a rough month.

my advice, seeing as you have the neg anyway, is to refund and put them on your Blocked Bidder List.  Why be out of pocket for two items AND two postages?

eBay won’t remove the comment as they will say “that is the buyer’s opinion of the transaction”.  If you have apologised and offered to re-send then they might just be open to making a feedback revision, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

No matter what happens you should put them on your blocked list.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@everard6920 wrote:

my advice, seeing as you have the neg anyway, is to refund and put them on your Blocked Bidder List.  Why be out of pocket for two items AND two postages?

eBay won’t remove the comment as they will say “that is the buyer’s opinion of the transaction”.  If you have apologised and offered to re-send then they might just be open to making a feedback revision, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

No matter what happens you should put them on your blocked list.

Agree about the block list - the message in their dispute was that it was a Christmas present for their child that never arrived, and I like to give buyers the benefit of the doubt and it's a cheap item, but ... yeah, you're right. Probably being too nice, considering they didn't even contact me before leaving a really snippy feedback comment. 

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

everard, that's not a pleasant thing to happen.

You can of course try to have the feedback removed by getting a CS rep to phone you. You could point out that the entire country is in turmoil with:

a) catastrophic bushfires, and

b) impacted services (including delivery) as a result of people staying home/isolated out of fear of the coronavirus.

Equally point out that since you issued a refund immediately (no escalation with eBay stepping in), and also courteously offered to send a replacement completely free of charge, your actions do not merit the comment that you "ripped them off". I suppose you could make the point that if the buyer had simply given you a negative with the comment "Item never arrived" or "Missing parcel - not happy - will never buy from this seller again", you would simply have copped the negative on the chin. Point out to the rep that "to rip off" is literally saying that you have exploited the buyer and perpetrated a fraud.

It's certainly worth a try.

Otherwise, you could wait for the buyer to respond - or just send a replacement anyway (along with a note saying something like "Replacement item issued free of charge - original item reported as lost in transit), and then, once it's arrived, perhaps contacting the buyer to see whether they would revise feedback. I think that's less satisfactory, though, than if eBay were to remove the feedback, since you actually did nothing wrong and morally you shouldn't have to wear this feedback.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

I would also be looking at their feedback to see if they make a habit of doing this.  You would be surprised at the feedback received by some buyers that clearly shows a pattern of getting refunds or re-sent items.

You need to look at the feedback they leave for others to see how many negs they have left.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I would call ebay and explain 'ripped off' means stealing and you haven't stolen from them so it's untrue.

Point out that it violates eBay's feedback policy.

image host
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Thank you all for your replies. Very much appreciated. I had a nice cup of tea and have calmed down.

I've refrained from replying to the feedback until I'm calmer - but when I do it'll be something factual like "item sent [date], obviously lost in post, buyer fully refunded".

I agree - defamatory comments in feedback are against eBay policy. If she'd just said "I never received my item and I'm not happy" - okay, that's fair and I wouldn't be as upset. But to accuse me of ripping her off - which literally means to scam or thieve - is untrue.

However, I expect eBay to argue that the buyer felt that way because they paid and didn't receive their item, but worth a shot.

Checked her feedback left for others: mostly positives, with a few negatives thrown in, but not enough that eBay would consider it a pattern.

Kicking myself because I've had trouble with this postcode before and I usually send EVERYTHING to that postcode via trackable methods, but because it was cheap and a PO Box at the post office, I did not. Ugh.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. Very much appreciated. I had a nice cup of tea and have calmed down.

I've refrained from replying to the feedback until I'm calmer - but when I do it'll be something factual like "item sent [date], obviously lost in post, buyer fully refunded".

I agree - defamatory comments in feedback are against eBay policy. If she'd just said "I never received my item and I'm not happy" - okay, that's fair and I wouldn't be as upset. But to accuse me of ripping her off - which literally means to scam or thieve - is untrue.

However, I expect eBay to argue that the buyer felt that way because they paid and didn't receive their item, but worth a shot.

Checked her feedback left for others: mostly positives, with a few negatives thrown in, but not enough that eBay would consider it a pattern.

Kicking myself because I've had trouble with this postcode before and I usually send EVERYTHING to that postcode via trackable methods, but because it was cheap and a PO Box at the post office, I did not. Ugh.

If a buyer left me a neg without contact or opening an INR case, which you don't mention happened, they would not get a refund nor a chance to purchase from me in future.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

After 32 feeedback is fairly early, though.

I have had about 4 neutrals in over 4500 transactions, but no negs. It will probably happen, but it is not inevitable.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Was the item small enough to fit into a small PO Box? Or would it have been 'carded' for pickup at the PO.

I ask because I had a 'trackable' large envelope sent to my small PO Box.
No card was left in the PO box for pickup when it arrived. The tracking showed 'in transit'.

I ended up re-purchasing my item (thinking it was lost) & Aus Post compensated me the missing first item.
When the new item eventually arrived & was 'carded' for pick up - guess what was waiting as well - yep - the first 'uncarded' purchase!!

The PO staff hadn't carded or scanned the first item when it arrived.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply