What a debacle this ill thought out and badly implemented new ebay return process is.

What a debacle! Badly done ebay! How come when we list items and we offer returns, if a buyer clicks on Returns on the listing it takes them to the bottom of the page where it clearly states - and ebay implement this on our listing page themselves, that buyer pays return postage for returns, but when the buyer implements the new ebay return process, the seller is only given the option of paying for the post for the buyer to return the item?

A seller's only option given by ebay about refunding and getting the item back under the new return system is to accept the return of the item and pay the postage. Ebay give no solution as to how to pay this postage and gives no means either- you cannot refund the buyer more than they paid through the ebay return system, so you cannot get the postage to them that way - you could ask them to send you an invoice via pay Pal for $7.20, which most buyers wouldn't know how to do and you run the risk of ebay not sending your message because it includes email addresses and the words invoice and Pay Pal and amounts that don't match ebay invoices and so they will not send the message because they think you are doing a deal outside the ebay platform. To ask the buyer to send it back Aust Post - receiver pays postage - incurs another fee from Aust Post. Send the buyer stamps or cash in the mail? 

This new system is so badly thought out and so badly implemented, and what's worse, is Ebay gives the seller no information about how this new system works- you just discover it by trial and error as you blunder through it!

On the plus side, small sellers will be leaving ebay in droves because this is just all too difficult and mum and dad sellers will find they have to accept a return on a second hand item that they sold as described, and pay the return post as well!. Good for us- because only the sellers who can persevere through this will be left - BAD, because little sellers are also our buyers!

Badly done Ebay! Badly done!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What a debacle this ill thought out and badly implemented new ebay return process is.

One of the worst ebay policies ever implemented I would say........ and I am not a  whinger....

Had my first return with new policy.

So you are trying to work with little in the way of guidelines and a useless sytem...

Mine was definitely buyers remorse but she did not want to pay return post now that ebay says sellers have to,

So not as described return was what ebay recommended to her........

ahhh well.... lots of tax write offs coming I guess..

Lots of ebay sanctioned fraud from now on...

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

the new returns system does not seem to me to give the seller any option to disagree that the item is not as described. Eg -if it is a second hand item with faults and the faults are clearly described and photographed and therefore the seller can say - no the item is exactly as described. The Pay Pal dispute process allows the seller to show that the item was as described if it is second hand and listed with faults- eg normal wear for a second hand item - but the new ebay return process does not - if the buyer says it is not as described, then ebay automatically agrees (without even checking the actual listing) and gives no options for dispute. If any seller has found this not to be the case with the new ebay return system, then please let me know - I am willing to be educated about this new system! Something that ebay is not providing sellers with!
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay got this idea from Amazon. Ebay are constantly copying their business model. However, Amazon reimburses the seller, or even covers the whole return cost in some circumstances (Amazon FBA). Ebay's just trying to keep up with the trend that the buyer is King, and what the seller's think is secondary.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

what it all boils down to is ebay site got hacked earlier this year and ebay lost a lot of faith from buyers.

instead of ebay correcting the problem of there own doing once again ebay has taken the the burden from themself and placed it soley on sellers. ebay claims From 1 November 2014, eBay Money Back Guarantee covers your purchase price plus original postage for virtually all items on eBay.com.au. We guarantee you will get the item you ordered or your money back. this placed soley on the sellers at no cost to ebay. 

since then sellers are now open to any fraud buyers wish to do and sellers have no protection even with tracking numbers to prove delivery or items NAD since the start of november ebay has turned into a place to get items for free and fruad is going to be riffle.

many sellers have left and the many that stayed are now finding out that they should have also left.

sellers should band together and put a hold on there selling for 3 months and let ebay know that without sellers that there site is worthless. until people stand up and stop using this site ebay will continue to bleed sellers dry with there greed crazy policys that stop anybody having any success as a seller here.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The funniest one is

'I found it cheaper elsewhere'

This is simply against retail legislation so even if we have opted to

sell under ebay's new rules, this aspect of their rules is NULL AND VOID.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Wait, there's an option for 'I found it cheaper elsewhere?'

I began typing a response, but my head couldn't handle the many, many, many ways in which that is a completely stupid, absurd thing for ebay to implement. 

How does finding it cheaper elsewhere work for auctions...

*brain explodes*

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Lol!
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@van_werkhoven wrote:

Wait, there's an option for 'I found it cheaper elsewhere?'

I began typing a response, but my head couldn't handle the many, many, many ways in which that is a completely stupid, absurd thing for ebay to implement. 

How does finding it cheaper elsewhere work for auctions...

*brain explodes*

This is for when seller opts for change of mind returns, and buyer pays return postage. It is optional to accept. The only non optional returns are for faults and seller pays return.

Though the mechanics of paying return post is murky, at best. Suggestion is send return shipping label, but what use is this if buyers dont have necessary flat rate ebay satchels to return it?

There is also option for offering partial refund and buyer keeps item. Though some buyers will angle for this.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

A large percentage of my buyers ( on my selling ID) are using Mobile Phones/Tablets.

What point is there sending through a return label when they have no printer to print the labels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply