What am I missing?

I received an email from eBay today, which states:

90 items sent ; 0% sent with (or as ) untracked letters.

81% valid for trackable services.

All items I have sent have had sent have had tracking downloaded.

All items have been sent through Australia Post.

Am I missing something I should know about?

Or is eBay's maths worse than mine???

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: What am I missing?

As I said in the thread pauls bumped, it seems to be prepaid satchels that are the issue.

This is what the email said (in part) -

On October 1 2020, we announced that if you use a tracked postage service and upload valid tracking information for your eBay orders, you’ll benefit from better Estimated Delivery Dates and increased seller protections.These changes also affect sellers who don’t validly track their orders consistently. We’re here to help you make the most of these changes.  Here is Your Tracking Performance You’re uploading valid tracking for 58% of your eBay orders. We’ve compiled a list of tracking options for you, depending on your business needs. Visit our Seller Centre to find the best solution for your business.

Orders sent between 04/10/2020 and 03/01/2021

35%

Of your orders sent with untracked letters. 

86%

Of your uploaded tracking is valid for trackable services*.
Top Rated Seller (eTRS)

Your seller standard as at 03/01/2021
Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:

Our thought is that those eBay has said have tracking that isn't "valid" for the postage service is those that were sold with the postage option of untracked letters, but we've covered the extra cost to send them tracked.

I think you're right - the * in the main part of the email leads to a statement that says:

"Valid tracking is based on trackable services in your postage policies."

i.e. eBay is assuming that if the service selected doesn't including tracking, any tracking that is uploaded is not "valid", lol. 

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

I haven't used in prepaids in the period, so it might not be them.

Tracked letters, including some I sent as parcels, seem to align with the numbers, so it's probably those.  As d*g said.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Our thought is that those eBay has said have tracking that isn't "valid" for the postage service is those that were sold with the postage option of untracked letters, but we've covered the extra cost to send them tracked.

I think you're right - the * in the main part of the email leads to a statement that says:

i.e. eBay is assuming that if the service selected doesn't including tracking, any tracking that is uploaded is not "valid", lol. 

Yes

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

LOL, Ebay maths is a joke.

My email today said that 90% was sent with valid tracking and 18% was untracked.

Just loved the passive aggresive addendum on the message which said that if we don't send with valid tracking, our listings might get pushed down in search. 

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

The only thing i can think of is that sometimes i send items in a padded bag (bought in the post office).

However, everything i send is with tracking which I download as soon as I get home.

If it is a post office generated tracking number, I don't see what the problem is.

I have never had this issue before.

Just not going to stress out about it!

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Definitely don't stress.

I don't use the Aus Post satchels as I use my own plain white satchels which are a better size for my items. I just write the address and then my PO generates a parcel label for $8.95 which has the tracking number. I enter the number manually into the order when I get home and finished.

The only thing I did tidy up recently were my postage policies. I had about 20 different ones which had accumulated over the years due to the different things I've sold. I went through everything in those policies and trimmed them right down to be consistent with what Ebay wants.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I am in the same boat as many in that I send untracked mostly, however if I think there could be issues I will send as a tracked letter.

However, the eBay email received today (19/1) "eBay Money Back Guarantee Policy Reminder" states "change to the way Item Not Received requests are resolved. If you use a tracked postage service, reliably upload valid tracking and use an eBay-integrated carrier for your eBay orders"  Is that "valid" what sellers would regard as valid ie an Auspost tracking number or what eBay seem to regard as valid ie only if originally listed as being listed with a Tracking Shipping Service, and items listed as "untracked" but sent with tracking (and uploaded into eBay) would not qualify and therefore forced to refund.

It would be nice if there was someone in eBay we could ask these technical question, as CS wouldn't even know what a Tracked Letter was.?

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

There was a time when I was sending a certain number of items as large untracked letters and doing that same as you by only sending tracked if I though there might be an issue.

However, I decided to change things as I was getting a few "not received" queries last year.

Now I use the large A4 sized stiff green envelope which is tracked, for around $5.20. People are still buying at the same rate and I have peace of mind and so do my buyers. 

I have a number of postage policies which cover the different types of shipping I offer and I just changed the policy for those items from untracked letter to tracked letter, which also now complies with Ebay's valid shipping requirements. 

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

I added up the difference in postage price and over a year for me it would add more than $500 to send those items tracked compared to unracked. Most of my items would be under 125grams packed but if they where heavier then the cost increase would be minimal.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply