What are the odds?

I had 15 auction listings and a buyer that has won some items off me won all 15 items and good luck to them because there was hardly any other bidders and the reason for this I think is that other bidders might have thought that there was shill bidding going on as the same bidder bid on all the items.

There was no shill bidding going on at all and my only disappointment is that I could have received more money for the items,if others bid.

I know that I could have blocked the buyer from bidding on more than10 of the items but this buyer is a great buyer so that wouldn't be fair.

Anyone have the same thing happen b4?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: What are the odds?

It wouldnt turn me away from bidding. Shill bidding or not, Im not going to pay more than what I want to - Im the one that puts my limit in.

So, One of two scenarios -

1. all those bidders and potential buyers were monitoring all those items AND they all happened to be your items, AND they happened to be won by one guy AND they were monitoring for shill bidding too AND were all turned off by it.

2.  one guy won your items because hes a frequent buyer who monitors your stuff, and there just werent that many bidders, and none wanting to pay more than him.

Id bet on the one that is more likely. First one seems a bit extreme.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I've bought all a sellers items before. There were other bidders, mostly the same ones for each auction. I didn't pay as much as I'd planned. If the other bidders bid more than what I wanted to pay, then they probably would have won all the items.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@zelly888 wrote:

I had 15 auction listings and a buyer that has won some items off me won all 15 items and good luck to them because there was hardly any other bidders and the reason for this I think is that other bidders might have thought that there was shill bidding going on as the same bidder bid on all the items.

There was no shill bidding going on at all and my only disappointment is that I could have received more money for the items,if others bid.

I know that I could have blocked the buyer from bidding on more than10 of the items but this buyer is a great buyer so that wouldn't be fair.

Anyone have the same thing happen b4?

I have no idea what the odds would be...plenty of zero's involved.

As your listings were private no other bidders would be able to see that one id was bidding on all items.

It is only the private settings that causes some bidders to suspect shill bidding.

As you received multiple bids on all items it would seem that the market set the final prices. JMO.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Were they similar items Zelly? Just wondering without checking.

I'm not sure if experienced buyers would have been put off, but sales here are a tad slow ATM so maybe the bidder was just an opportunist? Wanting cheapest combined post for small items?

Lots of times I do look at a seller's other items for sale, but sometimes I don't & unless I'm really serious to have the item I never look at the bid history to check it out. JMHO

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

No the listings were not private and other bidders can see that the same bidder has bid on all the items as for example j***8 is placed instead of the bidders real ID and j***8 is on all the listings bids so everyone can see that is the same bidder.

And there wasn't that many other bidders because of this,this must have turned them away from bidding?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Yes all similar items as of the same things but different types of it if that makes any sense.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I often bid on several items from the same seller, and have even (on occasion) noticed the same bidder bidding on a couple of similar items that I am, but with different sellers (same ID, as much of it as is revealed, anyway, same FB score, same bid history), so something like that wouldn't really turn me off a seller's listings - I almost expect the same people to be interested in the same items (usually craft supplies).

I did once spot an interesting bidder on a few auctions, though. It was a brand new ID, so at the time I checked their bidding history it wouldn't have been any more than 30 days old, and they had placed bids on over 25,000 items (winning only a small percentage, as they were concentrating on items that started between 1c - 99c. ). Smiley Surprised That seemed like a full time occupation, even if they'd been doing it for ~29 days. o_O

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@zelly888 wrote:

No the listings were not private and other bidders can see that the same bidder has bid on all the items as for example j***8 is placed instead of the bidders real ID and j***8 is on all the listings bids so everyone can see that is the same bidder.

And there wasn't that many other bidders because of this,this must have turned them away from bidding?

Hi zelly, please accept my apologies.

However when I looked at the bidding history for your sold items it showed "private listing bidders identity protected".

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Apology accepted,but it happened on one of my other selling accounts 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

It wouldnt turn me away from bidding. Shill bidding or not, Im not going to pay more than what I want to - Im the one that puts my limit in.

So, One of two scenarios -

1. all those bidders and potential buyers were monitoring all those items AND they all happened to be your items, AND they happened to be won by one guy AND they were monitoring for shill bidding too AND were all turned off by it.

2.  one guy won your items because hes a frequent buyer who monitors your stuff, and there just werent that many bidders, and none wanting to pay more than him.

Id bet on the one that is more likely. First one seems a bit extreme.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I've bought all a sellers items before. There were other bidders, mostly the same ones for each auction. I didn't pay as much as I'd planned. If the other bidders bid more than what I wanted to pay, then they probably would have won all the items.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply